BC Boards

The end is here

Bindi is now re-attached to me at all times unless she is in the crate. I've read that you aren't supposed to use the crate as punishment but when she just won't stop jumping on me, I'm crating her. She is also crated during meals because I don't trust her not to jump on the table.

I've read on here about people attaching their dogs to them, but personally I prefer to give them the chance to make a mistake and then correct it. I think using the crate for time outs (five minutes) when she ignores your "no" is fine. In fact, that's the technique that finally reformed my little cat-chaser.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a really great talk last night and he agreed that we will all work with Bindi. He is not insisting that she goes. That was a response to the situation - the same as my starting this thread was a response to the situation. He is going to go with me to the next series of obedience classes as often as he can. He will take her for walks, either with or without me. He agreed to learn a better way to train than with force. I asked him to stop saying "I never wanted a dog", etc. because it stresses me out and he agreed. I'm not going to hand over too much to him though because he just doesn't deal well with this crazy age. But I feel like we are all on the same page now.

It sounds like your husband is on the same page now. He doesn't have to love Bindi and want to be with her all the time but he has to accept that she is there and respect her needs and that she is like a kid and will make mistakes.

You mentioned that you work for yourself. When you are out for the day, is your schedule a bit flexible? Could you take Bindi with you in the car (you'll have to be careful if it is hot and park in shade and crack the windows a bit, of course) then schedule in her potty breaks and maybe a walk in a park and stuff too? With Molly, just getting to see things going on seems to help. After I run errands with her along, she seems more relaxed when we get home than if she's sat at home all day and watched me work at my computer. She knows I want her with me and there is neat stuff to see from the safety of her car den.

I understand MrSnappy's concerns (BM probably does too), but I do think BM is trying to adjust her life to meet Bindi's needs. She's just running into some issues along the way in adjustment and is desperate to do what is best for Bindi. While you clearly could rehome Bindi into a very suitable home, it is still quite possible that BM can adjust her life to make her home suitable. Although I'm very inexperienced and definitely doing a lot wrong along the way, it sounds like BM is doing a lot right--she is going to train Bindi, take responsibility for managing situations to keep Bindi out of trouble, and she is asking for help when she needs it.

Bindi's Mom--Good luck to you and your family to make a great home for Bindi!