BC Boards

So Many Border Collies!

Guest WoobiesMom

I am undecided whether to rescue or get a puppy

But in a way if I get a puppy it will be a rescue too

Too many farmers here dont notice when the bitch is in season so they have many litters of puppies

I know one farmer - lovely guy but too soft harted, if he cant get a home for the pups he just keeps them

Sounds like a backyard breeder to me... and a horrible one. I cant agree with you. Yes it would be rescuing, but also it would be supporting a backyard breeder by paying him.

It really irks me when people want a new dog for companion and go to breeders. I know Im probably gonna catch heck for sayin it but it really does. Millions of dogs (and cats) die every year at the Humane Societys and people are paying for more dogs to be bred. It just really really gets to me. Fine I understand if you need a working dog - thats different. I would LOVE to have a purebred pug and a toyger cat. I just cant do that. Knowing I spent that much money for 1 animal, knowing that there are millions in shelters (or rescue for that matter) that I could have put that money to, I couldnt do it. Im not saying you guys are wrong who bought dogs for agility, companionship or whatever. Im saying I disagree and *I* cant see the reasoning. And I know someone is gonna use the line about having a puppy and self raising ect. I dont buy it. I agree with Sandra on that one. I apologize if this sounds mean, I dont mean for it to at all but it is something close to my heart.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BC Rescue in North Yorkshire are marvellous, in that they don't let prospective owners choose the dog they like the look of, but they spend time getting to know the possible owner and family, find out about their lifestyle, what they will be doing with the dog, how long it will be left etc etc. They thoroughly assess all the dogs that come into their care and then they match the dog with the prospective new home. I am pleased to say that they also look for the best working homes for collies they feel need to work.

Absolutely agree with you - Mike & Nikki are 2 of the nicest people I've ever met. Their passion, knowledge and understanding of this breed is amazing.

Yes indeed they do try to find working homes for their rescues. We had 2 foster dogs in through BCR and each one was taken to a sheep farmer friend of ours and had an aptitude test, although neither was suitable to work they both went into agility homes.

I really can't understand the arguments that are often used for buying a pet dog, rather than rescuing one. And I get spitting mad when people give Kessie those doubtful looks when they hear she comes from a shelter. "What's wrong with her, then?".....!

First, why should I hope that a puppy raised by myself will turn out so much better (whatever "better" is) than all the other dogs out there? Geez, I wish I had that kind of self-belief! And it's often first time dog owners who have that belief, for some reason...

I'm right there with you! I'm not saying that rescue is the way to go for everyone, but I always groan inwardly when I talk to people who are looking for a new pet and won't even consider considering a rescue/shelter dog simply because those dogs are considered somehow flawed.

Second, I'm far (very far!) from being perfect myself, so why should I go shopping for perfection when looking for a friend?

Why is it such a bad thing if a dog has some "baggage"? We're all hurt, we're all wrecked, we're all flawed, we've got "baggage" coming out of our ears on both sides. It's considered normal for an adult human being to have been through ups and downs. Our dogs have to live with what we are. They surely don't fall for the normality facade that some people are so busy keeping up. They love us with all our "quirks", and with all their heart. WHY aren't they allowed to have some history of their own?

I LOVE that point! :D:D:D

I guess a lot of it comes down to people being uninformed about rescue dogs and the wide range of temperaments (including rock-solid, kid-resistant, cat-resistant, and everything else you could possibly ask for) that can be found among them, so let's flaunt ours for all they're worth :rolleyes: .

I think you're right!

Our own (former!) rescue and shelter dogs that are obviously happy and well adjusted as a result of love and care in a good home speak more loudly than we ever can about the fact that they are not inherently flawed, wrecked, baggage-ridden, down and out, non-bonding, second class citizens of dogs simply because their original homes didn't work out for them for some reason! :D

Raising a puppy to be a good dog and also keeping it happy and occupied is a full time job. I got a puppy because I like puppies, and because I wanted a dog whose genetic potential was geared towards stockwork. I adore my pup and I'm so glad I have her. That being said, raising a puppy is hard work! If I was going for pure ease of ownership, a puppy would be last on my list. I'm hoping I will make fewer mistakes with Eve, but with Dakota, it was a good 2 years until he was easy to live with.

"Baggage" is overused. Period. I've volunteered and done training in a *shelter* environment for quite a few years and while I do meet the occasional dog with extreme issues, that's the bottom 1%. And that's in a shelter, where most dogs are bored to death in cages and not in cushy foster homes, being given daily love, attention and training. I definitely agree that rescue/rehomes are misunderstood. It's a shame, because most people who want a pet or sport dog can find their match in a homeless dog.

I can see the points that people on here feal so strongly about reguarding re-homing the dogs and not getting the pups. I do feal that too and in an ideal world thats what would happen but surely it is best for the dog that has unfortunately been put in the rehome place that when it does get its new home it is with the right person who if it has problems they can deal with it.

I now feal more confident in handling the Border Collie so my views are different to 1yr ago and as i learn more with time with Holly i shall be more confident.

Its fantastic when you can re-home an unwanted dog and i love the fact that so many people do. I have not been to a BC re-home place the local one to me is for all dogs but the unfortunate ones that i have seen there have not had a very good start so i like the fact that even though they may not be able to be homed into a household with either dogs/children/cats or whatever when they do go the home will have been checked out to make sure it is right for them.

I think also everyone has their right to choice of either pup or adult dog but my main issue is whatever you get make it for life!!

Holly is my dog no matter what and in a few years i too will be looking for rehoming rather than pup but by then i will have learnt even more about this wonderful breed :rolleyes:

The question that always gets to me is how can anyone get a puppy/dog have it as their friend then get bored, never understand that i adored Holly straight away and feal so protective over her so how can anyone feal like that. I know some of the dogs in homes are from tragic circumstances like owners die or something but most i think are people bored with them.

The question that always gets to me is how can anyone get a puppy/dog have it as their friend then get bored, never understand that i adored Holly straight away and feal so protective over her so how can anyone feal like that. I know some of the dogs in homes are from tragic circumstances like owners die or something but most i think are people bored with them.

This is what I don't understand either. We all here have such strong feelings about our dogs. I don't understand such cold hearted people!!

Especially when these people that have had their dogs for like 10 yrs and they just go and abandon them!!

I mean how can they shut their feelings off like that?? Or do they just never have them at all in the first place?

But how can you NOT?

When you live with a dog?? They are one of the most giving and loyal of all creatures!

Beth, the 11 month old pup would be too much for me for a 1st dog, she has never been in a house and has had little human contact. Also as she is way out in the country she has not really been socalised to people, cars, dogs that aint bc's pavments - just about anything

Having said that I have promised that if it comes to it I will take her

The landowner and my friends had been speaking about them taking her because the landowner knew that the farmer wouldnt be able to do anything with her during lambing

They spoke with the farmer and he thought about it for a wee while but then he decided that he wants to give her a go

So with much sadness my friends decided to get another dog - and I promised that if the farmer changed his mind I would do my best for her (her name is dot)

I cant see it coming to that because he will prob be able to sell her to people who can train her

She is from a good line - both working dogs with really good natures - and Teesh is her brother - a more chilled out dog you could never meet

I have been over to the farm and walked her in the feilds and she is lovely, really friendly. My friends taught her to sit in about 2 min flat

The farmer told us that she dosent have much of an interest in sheep but it was OK for us to take teesh and dot into the fields without the leads on

Interesting moment when the 2 pups ran away, got behind the flock of sheep and brought them full speed towards us!! - so she might have a bit of interest there

Anyway like I said I cant see it happening, but if I do get here I will prob be on the board every 2 secs looking for advice!

Yeah I wish her the best and hope that she gets a better life. That's no kind of a life for a dog, to be shut away!!

Dogs need good food, care, love, sunshine,and to be around people often and play.

there was so many lovely dogs i could have remhomed last year but as I said before, because my children are under 14, I was not allowed to help one out.

luckily though around here alot of people get rescue dogs :rolleyes: and puppies are quite hard to come across without going on the mainland.