BC Boards

Another "Is it illegal to kill him if he really deserves it?" Thread!

So my hubby finally got here to Newfoundland with me this week.

Late yesterday evening we went for a walk on the beach, and came acoss a few interesting things on the way . . .

First we noticed Odin sniffing the ground, upon closer inspection, we discovered this little guy:

jabbaan4.jpg

Wes called him Jabba.

So we kept walking, and came upon a dead eel. (Wes had fun making it "talk" with a stick :D )

deadeeluz4.jpg

After that, we kept walking some more. Odin was wayyyyy ahead of us, running like crazy and having the time of his life.

Then he started to roll. I yelled out leave it, and he got up and looked at me, deduced that I was way too far away to stop him, and went back to rolling like crazy.

We thought I was some old kelp or maybe, worse case scenario, a dead fish . . .

But oh no, this case was beyond anything I could imagine in a 'worse case scenario' situation . . .

moosecorpsebackjr6.jpg

moosecorpseaz3.jpg

That, my friends, is what's left of what used to be a MOOSE. And is does not smell very good. :D

It took about an hour to wash the stink out of Odin's coat :rolleyes:

Next time we go for a walk on the beach - he's staying home!

Here he is after his bath:

odinafterbathzf4.jpg

Oh I feel your pain sister. One time we trotted down to the beach and Tweed made a bee-line for a dead seal and had a merry roll before I could stop him Rotting seal smells poorly, I assure you.

The first time I ever fed him a whole fish he rolled in that too ... on my sofa. Gack.

RDM

I'm glad your hubby is finally there with you! I hope you are both enjoying the island! I miss it a lot.

Sharkie, as for a moose ending up on the beach, well in Newfoundland you're lucky if a moose doesn't end up in your bedroom really. They are everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. To the point where as soon as you drive onto the island there are signs telling you how many moose related car accidents have happened so far this year. They also put life size fake moose on the side of the highway to get your attention.

So gross that he rolled in it and I'm sure Tiga would have done the same thing. Eww.

Hee, hee! I laughed quite hard when I read this post -- Allie hasn't really rolled in anything too horrible, yet . . . but our old dog, Kamp, when he was a young pup was joyfully running ahead of us on the beach during a camping trip along the shore of Bear Lake (a very large large inland lake) when he stopped to roll and cavort. We laughed and thought "how cute!", until he came back to us -- he was rolling in the remains of a dead carp, or some other large fish and YUCK!!!! He was supposed to sleep with us in our tent. But the two of us, being newlywed and not too saavy, didn't bring dog shampoo along, so we had to forage some baby shampoo from others in the camp and try to make him smell a little better. Well, it was a L O N G T R I P . :rolleyes:

Kind of cool it was a moose. I love moose -- they are really great creatures. But . . . to roll in remains . . . ummmm. Can I say, WAY STINKY!!!! Great story!!

I dunno....

Here in Arkansas chicken houses are everywhere. We had this great idea to have the neighbors spread the chicken poo on our fields cause it's wonderful fertlizer and way cheaper. The only reason we got it during the spring without having to wait our turn is becasue they live next door and my son works for them, so we figured it must be good if it's in such high demand.

The smell is supposed to go away with the first good rain. Rain was predicted for the next few days so we figuired it was a good itime to do it. It's been over a week and not a drop of rain! My five dogs have died and went to chicken poo heaven!

After walking all the fields picking up the dead parts (they don't tell you about those before they spread it), I though it was safe to let them run again! WRONG.....now they all have poo purfume!

Baths aren't any help when they can run right back out and roll again, plus after a bath they're damp so the smell sticks real good!

Moose yuck might be bad but you can leave it on the beach. This is everywhere, I can't open the windows, or let the dogs come in for lovin without gagging!

They keep laughing at me as they run out to do it again!

1 moose sounds like small potatoes compared to 4 tons of poo!

:rolleyes:

Kristen

I forgot to add that Newfoundland sounds so much more romantic than AR. How cool it would be if we had a beach to walk on instead of the mucky shore of the pond in the front yard!

enjoy the beach, what's a little dead moose in such a wonderful place!

:rolleyes:

Are you sure that's a moose? The vertebrae look wrong for an ungulate. From the pictures I found, moose have long vertical processes on the vertebrae at their withers (which is why they have that big shoulder hump) but those vertebrae would have ribs coming off of them and not long horizontal processes like these. I'm not even close to being expert at this (I'm a human osteologist) but to me those look a lot more like the vertebrae of a small whale.

My dogs have encountered dead seals on the beach in San Francisco. They didn't want to roll in them -- they wanted to eat them. Needless to say, this was not allowed. You have my sympathy.

Melanie, to be truthful, we just assumed it was a moose because they're SO plentiful here (come right up in the back yard) and are known to go out on the ice flows in the winter even. There's not much left to the thing, and I know even less about moose bones, but it's BIG and has fur on it, so it's the only thing I could think of that would be that size around here. :rolleyes:

a moose would make sense (thats a lot of moose :rolleyes:). on the other hand i've seen a pic on nat geographics where they show a whale carcass with some fur like fuzz on the bones.

But don't check it again, whatever it is...it doesn't look too tasteful

Makes me glad mine only roll in really green fresh cowpies :rolleyes::D

Anna

I thought "whale carcass" too the minute I saw the photo.

We have to make it past piles of otter poop every single night on the way home in the dark.

Last week (in a different state), it was cow pies, nice fresh green ones, which unfortunately we did not always succeed in getting past. Good thing my parents have a giant, dual head walk-in shower...and dogs of their own, so they don't flinch when we come in the door and head straight for the shower, calling out "Dog towel please!" on the way.

First of all - why is that toad winking at us? Just what were you DOING with him to get that experssion on his face...? :rolleyes:

Second of all - dead seal? YOW. I can only imagine the stench. I have it on good authority that rotting crab guts are pretty bad, but imagination alone makes seal seem worse. The decaying fat... Ugh. I also hear that fox crap is bad, because it's so sticky and hard to remove from your dog's coat. Maybe otter poop is as bad. No idea. Not in prime otter habitat out here (darn. Love otters.)

Third... well, I kinda thought "whale" too on the vertebrae, just based on the shape, although the fur thing would seem to rule that out. Maybe something next to the bones for scale....? It looks like a lumbar vertebra to me, based on the transverse processes (in many species, the cervical ones will have a sort of back-slanted and broader, more paddle-like tranverse process), but maybe I'm wrong on that. I admit I don't treat many cetaceans in my practice. (If I'm not being clear, let me point out that "not many" = zero.) :D

I'd be careful about digging the carcass up. In many areas it is illegal to handle remains of marine mammals, which I think has something to do with laws against poaching. Of course, in Canada the laws may be different.

Once the dogs and I came upon a beautiful otter carcass on the beach. It had weathered so much that only fur and bones remained, and the skull was gorgeous. I wanted very, very badly to take it, but was afraid I'd get in trouble if I did so I left it there.

Perhaps whale calves have fur? I'll admit to being totally fascinated by cetaceans, but I don't know that much about them.

I'd be careful about digging the carcass up. In many areas it is illegal to handle remains of marine mammals, which I think has something to do with laws against poaching. Of course, in Canada the laws may be different.

Don't think that's much of a worry here, this place is beyond rural, it's like living on another planet :rolleyes: And on the odd chance a wildlife offifial happened to show up, he would be a newfie, and all I'd have to say is something like . . . "Jeeze b'y, my dog rolled in this darn thing yesterday and I'm trying to figure out what it is!" and he'd prolly just laugh :D People are pretty understanding around here :D

Course I'm not planning on taking the carcass home or anything either, just trying to get a better look at it. :D

Ok, that's gross. I can handle horse poop, cow poop, and so on but not that. Bleah.

I'm pretty lucky, Black Jack hasn't rolled in to much yet. Some horse poop once or twice but that's it.

Don't think that's much of a worry here, this place is beyond rural, it's like living on another planet :rolleyes: And on the odd chance a wildlife offifial happened to show up, he would be a newfie, and all I'd have to say is something like . . . "Jeeze b'y, my dog rolled in this darn thing yesterday and I'm trying to figure out what it is!" and he'd prolly just laugh :D People are pretty understanding around here :D

Course I'm not planning on taking the carcass home or anything either, just trying to get a better look at it. :D

LOL!!!! That's exactly how I see it playing out. Gotta love newfs!! :D You just made my night with the "Jeeze b'y". Thanks!

We once had a hound that thought it would be fun to roll on a dead porcupine of all things. I learned something that day though, quills from a dead porcupine don't stick in anything like quills from a live one. I got her off of it as quick as I could and only found a few quills clinging loosely to her hair, none were actually stuck into her skin.

I got one for you. SO and I live in a small apartment building, with a small private yard. Whoever gets up first stumbles over to the door and lets Allie out, then stumbles off towards coffee. Well, this morning we discovered that the line from the apartment building to the city sewer system had broken and was flooding the yard... I'll leave the rest to your imagination, in case anyone has recently eaten.

Do you get elephant seals up there?