BC Boards

Temple Grandin on ABC TV

Denise Wall

http://www.cureautismnow.org/home/article/news/4317.jsp

ABC's PrimeTime Live: March 10th, 10-11:00 p.m. (tentative)

PrimeTime Live will feature a profile of Temple Grandin, Ph.D. Dr. Grandin is an adult living with autism and has provided a window into the world of autism through her work. She is a designer of livestock handling equipment, an Assistant Professor of Animal Science at Colorado State University, and the author of Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior and Thinking In Pictures: and Other Reports from My Life with Autism.

She's also got a new book out I've heard is fab. Anyone else read it? My book budget is limited since I'm saving for my birthday camera. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this Denise. I have read most of her books and will run out and get this new one. My youngest is a high functioning autistic and I have over the years used many of her suggestions to help him. I admire her very much and hope that one day Ryan will be able to function as well as Dr. Grandin has. I got to hear her speak once at an autism conference, great lady! :rolleyes:

I'm in the middle of Animals in Translation, and finding it fascinating. The book is absolutely full of insightful and thought-provoking observations.

Edit: This post originally included an additional comment which, judging from an email I received about it, could be taken as more negative than I intended. Since my overall reaction to the book is very positive, I decided to remove my original comment to ensure that no one would give it more importance than it deserved.

I had actually been intending to start a thread about the book. I suppose it's always risky to appraise a book you haven't finished reading, but so far Animals in Translation is a book I'd recommend to anyone who's interested in animals. Grandin writes clearly and brings a different perspective to the subject in addition to her extensive education and experience. If enough of us here read it, I bet it could give rise to some interesting discussions.

Dr Grandin is the person who designs slaughterhouse handling chutes to make the process less stressful for the stock, do I have the right person? Her autism gives her insight into ways to minimise the discomfort of cattle & horses leading towards the kill-bolt. She designed chutes to be circular instead of straight, my local abbatoir uses her methods.

One of the things I feed my crew is Morigins, a premade raw. The beef that they use is handled (right terminology?) according to Temple Grandin's methods.

She is really interesting. PBS did a segment on her Nova (I think) a couple of years ago. I found her really fascinating.

Unfortunately, I missed the show so I can?t comment on it. I?m grateful to Kim for providing the link to the NPR interview, however. I found it to be very interesting and insightful. I?ve forwarded the link to a couple of friends. Powerful stuff. Thanks!

I?m looking forward to hearing about the TV program, too, and I?ve added ?Animals in Translation? to my Amazon wish list. I hope someone on here watched and will tell the rest of us about it.

Eileen, I'm off to Borders with my Christmas gift certificate to get Animals in Translation, (and Click to Calm, if they have it) I'll start reading this evening. It would be great to have a discussion - I've been reading so much about Ms. Grandin, can't wait to get started.

Ruth n the BC3

The pricebot I listed earlier (fetchbook.info) has the book available at Overstock.com for a total price of $14.15 (including shipping). I've bought books here before and was pleased with their service. Those on a budget may be interested . . .

Kim