BC Boards

The new kid

I'm sure it comes as no surprise to most of you that shelters and rescues are over-run and struggling to keep up with demand now more than ever it seems.  Over a month ago, I saw a CL ad for a bc in the Phx metro area whose photo on first impression had a strong resemblance to Mouche (yeah not so much in person).  The family has to move to an apartment in another state and were looking to re-home their coming 1 year intact bc w/no adoption fee.  I hate to see any dog being given away, but especially an intact purebred, and even more so for obvious reasons, a border collie. I reached out to a friend who fosters occasionally for BC rescue asking if she could pass the word on to see if they were interested and could secure a foster placement. That went nowhere. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I returned home from an out of town trip and was surprised to see the original ad was still up (with no re-posts or updates).  After contacting bc rescue directly with no response, I reached out to the folks and was amazed to learn the dog was still available. A young family owned him but he was primarily the Dad's dog and very well-loved, though suffering a bit from what I would characterize as benign neglect. Working parents 2 small children and very limited resources. Communication was a bit of an issue-They speak limited english and it was also difficult to connect due to their work schedules.  After a few false starts, yesterday I drove the 200+ miles round trip and came home with this handsome devil.  He is quite the big beefy boy, (been a while since I've had a dog this big-I've had large fosters but the household dogs were all between 27-35lbs)  My female, Mouche is all of 27 lbs and he towers over her. Intros with my two resident dogs went without a hitch. He is still trying to figure things out, but overall doing well. My original intent was to foster for some time and then re-home or list him with the local all-breed rescue I've been affiliated with for many years, but so far he's integrating into my pack pretty easily, so....  Also such a pleasure to have a dog that is not entirely shut down due to having been traumatized in a shelter first. He is still trying to figure things out, confused and a bit jumpy, but overall doing well. It's still too soon for me to come up with a name until I have a better feel for him. In the mean time I have a shortlist of contenders. Without further ado, introducing... TBD

Toby.jpg

w Mouche.jpg

New kid.jpg

The big guy won't be a joining my pack as a permanent member, but rest assured, whoever adopts him will have to pass a mighty high bar.  He'll be listed with the local all-breed rescue I volunteer with once he's been neutered, fully vaxxed and had some training foundation firmly in place, i.e. no charging out of gates or doorways, loading/ un-loading into SUV comfortably (he'll load on his own now, but then tries to bolt out).  I simply can't have a dog this big as a permanent household member. 

I promised myself years ago that I will never again own a dog that is too big for me to lift/carry in an emergency.  I used to have a Borzoi (Russian Wolfhound) when I first moved back here to AZ.  At that point he was a spry senior, but slowing down.  He lived to the ripe old age of 11--ancient by giant dog breed standards. One day, after receiving some particularly distressing news, I felt I needed some nature therapy. So I loaded Sly into my car and we drove out a forest road where I parked for a hike.  It wasn't a long hike or a particularly hot day, but I cut it short and turned back when I saw he was slowing down.  We took our time getting back to my vehicle (a sedan) but by that time he no longer had the rear end strength to jump into the back seat.  I started to feel a bit panicky while I waited for him to recover his strength, but the best he could do was crawl onto the floor of the back seat, and when I got home he was wedged in and weakened too much to get himself out. At home I managed to get a sheet underneath him to use as a stretcher, but his hip was in such a position that I couldn't lift him on my own for fear of injuring him.  Thank heaven that when I called my vet's emergency number, despite it having been a Sun, he was already in his office finishing up another emergency, and told me to come right over.  In very short order and with a minimum of fuss or strain we were able to lift Sly onto the back seat. When I arrived back home he exited the car easily. 

In the few days Toby has been here, I've come to the realization that I would not be able to comfortably take him with me on hikes for fear of something dire happening, and then being helpless to help him.  Sadly, it's just too much for me.  I'm confident we'll find a home for him that will cherish him, and provide all that is necessary for him to be safe, healthy and happy. I will accept nothing less.

Toby pack.jpg

Toby portrait.jpg

I know exactly what you mean!  I had mobility problems with my last two once they aged, as they were on the large side.  When you have steps!  When you have to get them into a vehicle!  I used ramps for the vehicle, but they are not reliable when the dog is older and not sure-footed or when their sight is failing (had both these issues with my last old agility dog who was fine on the dog walk as a young dog but not good on a ramp once the sight/depth perception was going.)  There was nothing I could do about the steps.  We searched for solutions on the internet but nothing we could do with the narrowness and steepness of them, so they ended up sleeping on the first floor. 

I had hoped for smaller dogs with the two I have now (got them as puppies, so it's always a crap-shoot.)  My girl is small and the perfect size, but my boy is larger than I would have liked --although he is not as large as Kylie was.

As you are getting older, you never think of these things until you are faced with that dilemma.  I know even with some of my friends, size has become an issue for that very reason.  Well, there is a reason you got him -- and now we know that reason was to make sure he is placed in the right home!  Hugs

I totally understand, our first dog was a 68lb GSDx and for the longest time I was able to get her in the back of the SUV by asking her to put her 2 front feet up, then I would boost her up. I had been talking about getting a ramp but hadn't got round to it. we finished our walk and she just wouldn't help me. Luckily it was a public park and I just waited till a man came by and I asked for help. Ironically I have ended up with 2 oversized border collies at 24kg each, one I can pick up just because of his shape the other I can as he to just physically to big. I am keeping my fingers crossed the puppy doesn't get as big.