BC Boards

What's the toughest and most durable leash for a 50 pound border collie?

Monte needs some new leashes.  Lately, we've been walking him with a fairly substantial waist harness leash with a toughened bungee cord connecting the dog to me.  It's fairly strong, but the rest of the family won't use it, preferring a fabric leash sourced from Target, which has a seat belt loop in the middle. The Target leash works passably well, but tends to fray after a few weeks, and a few days ago, the stitching of the middle loop came apart while in the car.  What I'd really like is the heaviest duty leash possible, for which I don't need to be concerned that vigorous play and training won't weaken it.  I also am concerned that the spring-loaded carabiners (the common clips, that look like question marks) might develop hairline cracks that I won't notice until it breaks.

Short of crafting my own custom leash out of, say, mountain-climbing equipment, does anyone have a suggestion for a heavy-duty leash that goes above and beyond with respect to quality, durability, and security, while at the same time being easily usable by family members and our dog-walkers?   I'm looking for a leash for which, short of my dropping it, will last forever.  I don't care if it weighs an extra pound or so.  If it has a three-quarter-inch thick steel connector rated for a thousand kilograms, that's fine too.

Thank you!

IMG_1573.jpeg

My favorite dog leash is a six foot leather leash that I’ve had for close to 30 years. The shop where I bought it is no longer in business, but it looks similar to this: https://l.dog-leash.org/unbranded-heavy-duty-braided-leather-dog-leash-training.html

The only difference is that the brass clasp on mine looks sturdier. It’s a heavy duty leash that is comfortable on the hands. I’ve used it on two very large German Shepherds as well as my current dogs. 

I'm old-school.  I still use a good quality 6 foot leather leash.  Been using them since I started training dogs 47 years ago ( at that time I had German Shepherds).  My leashes are not wide;  I prefer a 1/2 inch width with a regular spring-loaded buckle snap.  I have leashes that are maybe 25 years old and still look good.  If you take care of them and don't let them lay around to be chewed up by puppies, they can last a really long time.  The key is probably to make sure it is good quality, and therefore a bit more expensive.  I like the "grip" they provide when handling, as opposed to nylon that is too slippery.  Once I break one in, the leather becomes supple and it is very comfortable, like an old shoe.     

Another vote for good quality leather leashes, which will last if, as has been noted, a puppy doesn't chew them and, I will add, if you put leather conditioner on them now and then the same as y ou would for a good pair of leather boots.  A fellow dog person I know swears by her neoprene leashes, which do look very good quality, but I personally prefer the leather as they are more supple,. I go for narrow ones, because the wider ones do not allow me to feel the movement of the dog as well. Suzanne Clothier sells excellent leather leashes on her website. Expensive, but will last forever if cared for well.

14 hours ago, Charles S. said:

Thanks all!  I got a recommendation from a friend to try this Collar brand leash:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HX7ZVVQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QGVDTH0QE453MCGQMNH3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Leather. The weakest part of a lead is the clip. The one you linked to above has aluminum. Good ole fashioned leather. Try Gun Dog Supply or better yet, Farm Diggity,  the leads they make are indestructible and it's an American company owned by sheepdog trialers and breeders.

14 minutes ago, Journey said:

Leather. The weakest part of a lead is the clip. The one you linked to above has aluminum. Good ole fashioned leather. Try Gun Dog Supply or better yet, Farm Diggity,  the leads they make are indestructible and it's an American company owned by sheepdog trialers and breeders.

oooo.....thanks for the tip on Farm Diggity.  Went to their website.  Loved the leashes.....and the other stuff!  Definitely bookmarked for future reference.  I love finding new places to shop!! :)

14 hours ago, Charles S. said:

Thanks all!  I got a recommendation from a friend to try this Collar brand leash:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HX7ZVVQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QGVDTH0QE453MCGQMNH3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've seen those carabiner/carbine clips release dogs over and over.  I would never use one of those;  plus, as Journey said, aluminum (no matter how "aero-spaced") is not going to be equal to a brass spring-loaded bolt snap.  I think a clue to the clip's efficiency is when they say it's so easy to snap on with one hand.  Easy on and easy to release - especially for the dog!

1 hour ago, Journey said:

Just a side note as well..it may be beneficial if Monte was taught to walk properly on lead then the size and strength wouldn't matter..

He's getting plenty of training.  This thread is as much about him as it is me being paranoid that the tiny piece of steel on the end of most leashes isn't as strong as promised by leash manufacturers, or that the emerging market steel company that forged it quietly used lower quality metal, and that it will snap when least expected.

Similarly, at some point every dog product we've ever had with stitching (leather, webbing, parachute material, etc.) has eventually frayed and unwoven itself.  

As for Monte, his training is progressing just fine, but he's at 100%, herding instinct-wise, and he will still periodically lunge at cars, or bicycles that sneak up behind us, and I'm not interested in taking a risk that his lead will fail.

2 hours ago, Charles S. said:

As for Monte, his training is progressing just fine, but he's at 100%, herding instinct-wise, and he will still periodically lunge at cars, or bicycles that sneak up behind us, and I'm not interested in taking a risk that his lead will fail.

It's NOT his 'herding instinct' that's responsible for the lunging. All different breeds will do that. I've seen a chihuahua lunge at a car.  As far as training help, try looking at KikoPup's videos, there's likely something about lunging and leash control.                                                                                                                                                                         

Here's what has worked consistently for all my dogs over the years: Dog tightens leash even a little bit. Owner says in a cheery voice, '"Oh, lets go another way!" turns and walks in a different direction. It takes time and consistency, but it's worked for me.

Good luck!

Ruth & Gibbs

PS ~ You can also try using 2 leashes at the same time if you're concerned that he'll snap a leash. It's a bit more to manage for you but is probably safer.