BC Boards

My current border collie books, any recommendations?

adadrian

I don’t have many bc books but here is my current lot of bc books if anyone has any other recommendations of bc books I’d be glad to hear them as I want to buy more!

85911B98-507F-4116-B2B4-A138A3435639.jpeg

Sorry to say but I wouldn't consider any of these books to be of much substance. Some of these are books that pretty much have a little bit of the specific breed's history slapped onto a generic template that applies to just about any kind of dog.

One of my all time favorites is A Way of Life by H. Glynn Jones. It's geared toward people with working sheepdogs but it'll give you a greater understanding of the breed than those you show.

I'm sure others will have some more current suggestions, but IMO Jones' book is a classic.

I would agree with GL that those books don't have much or any substance to tell you anything about border collies. My favorite books are not specifically about border collies, but are excellent for reading if you have any dog. They are: Bones Would Rain From The Sky by Suzanne Clothier as well as her other publications and pamphlets, The Other End Of The Leash  by Patricia McConnell, A Pack Of Two by Caroline Knapp, and Karen Pryor's writings on clicker training. AVOID reading anything by Jon Katz who is an idiot and writes with great pride about how he so badly mishandled his border collies that he ended up killing one of them.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

still wanting to get more books guys if u guys can give links or titles so i can buy them that would be good

• 1 month later...

Hi adadrian,

My good friend and fellow Border Collie trainer/handler has written a lovely book about her dog Gus, available on Amazon.  Her name is Victoria Yablonsky, and the book is Gus: One Woman's Champion.  Another favorite is Sheepdogs My Faithful Friends by Eric Halsall.  I'm sure others will have more suggestions as well, but you'll benefit by reading about the working Border Collie, not the show version.

Enjoy!

Amy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm still having trouble finding any half decent books on their history etc I have no trouble finding other breeds history and very good books 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 12:57 AM, Jeanne Joy said:

You might enjoy some of the articles from the Border Collie Museum:   http://bordercolliemuseum.org/

Excellent looks good I'll check it out cheers

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...