BC Boards

Pupdate on Gibbs and his gimpy leg

It's been 3 weeks since Gibbs saw a new orthopedic vet and got 'prescribed' ultra concentrated fish oil. The limp is Almost Gone. He still favors it a little after he's been laying around for a while, but watching him walk/trot/run, he's really close to equal weight distribution on all 4 paws. It seems miraculous to me.

Thanks again for the good wishes and support for Gibbs and me!

R & G 

Yes it's OTC, but I haven't found it in stores. It's Omega Via Ultra Concentrated Omega-3. The vet sold me the first bottle, just to get me hooked, I'm sure. It was $29 thru him. The dose for Gibbsy is 3 caps daily. Jovi, Gibbs is a couple months away from 11 yrs old, so I think that counts for senior. And I'm a couple weeks away from being 64, so I'm senior too!

The vet strongly recommended dosing w/1 cap daily for a week, then upping to 2 caps daily for another week, then 3 caps daily. I know that fish oil can have a laxative effect, and with that graduated dosing, there haven't been any problems that way. AND, that also means he's only been on the therapeutic dose for a week ~ great stuff!

I've looked on line and found pretty similar prices there, as he will need to be on it for a while. Gotta check with vet about how long and if I can back off to 1 or 2 caps after a while. I just got something similar at a local grocery, it was $50+ for a similar amount of omega 3. Will be checking at my local Whole Foods today.

I've started taking it as well. With arthritis from a few broken bones and wonky joints, I'm hoping it will help me, too. It is marketed for humans, but is proving efficacious for beasties, too.

Ruth & Gibbs, who are both feeling better

PS ~ someone asked about fishy burps and that hasn't happened for either dog or human here.

2 hours ago, GentleLake said:

Great news!

GVC, I'm sure Ruth will tell you what brand she's using, but there are a number of concentrated fish oil products available OTC. I use Sam's Club's Members Mark brand triple strength fish oil for both the dogs and myself.

Thank you. I would definitely like to compare strengths of each.

For anyone interested in the OmegaVia info re: EFAs, I posted all that on my post of July 19th, describing the initial visit, it's on the 2nd page now. The info on EFA is in that post, on 7/21, listed it all from the label. The more expensive brand I bought at a locally owned/operated sort of Whole Foods is Wiley's Finest Wild  Alaskan Fish Oil based in Ohio. Amount of the various EFAs is comparable to the OmegaVia.

I'm just so happy that he's not hurting nearly as much right now, and that it's such an easy fix.

Ruth & Gibbs

Terrecar, I'd check with my orthopedic vet. The fish oil is OTC, but I've no experience at all with Cosequin or other glucosamine supplements. Since the glucosamine affects cartilage as well, it might be a good idea to do the check, just in case. You can refer to my earlier post in a thread started July 19 about the exact #s of the EFAs in this ultra concentrated fish oil.

Ruth & Gibbs