BC Boards

Weird dog training advice

I feel like that would have the opposite effect. I feel like whoever came up with these things is a creepy narcissist.

Oh, I've heard that, too.

Also, keep a dog crated and segregated at all times unless you are directly interacting (micro-managing) the dog. (Not for safety or anything, but just to keep the dog "interested in you") UGH!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like that would have the opposite effect. I feel like whoever came up with these things is a creepy narcissist.

That's the tough love stuff or whatever they call it. I had someone interested in a Twist puppy once and she told me she was going to practice that and I knew right then she wasn't getting one of my puppies....

J.

Oh, I've heard that, too.

Also, keep a dog crated and segregated at all times unless you are directly interacting (micro-managing) the dog. (Not for safety or anything, but just to keep the dog "interested in you") UGH!!

I did that with Kipp at first. He was sooooo used to entertaining himself (and not in a good way) and had no clue about interacting with people. It helped a lot. I'd never do it with a pup though. Because why??? I've heard people giving out that advice for pups and young dogs who just need time and training and makes me want to go "noooo"

Boy have I screwed up. My dogs are with me and each other all the time. I probably break every rule there is. The only real rule we have is that everyone is nice to each other. I just correct them on the spot if they are doing something obnoxious and that's the end of it.

Strangely my dogs are really well behaved and don't really bother anything.

The only thing is they aren't well socialized and that's just my fault. I don't have any place safe to take them so they stay at home. Tommy and Zeke do pretty well when we have to go somewhere but Joe doesn't like strangers. He likes to stay in his own little world. He doesn't even like to go in the front yard

And that's not good.

Dear Doggers,

I have heard good sheepdog trainers advise that after puppyhood sheepdogs should be put up (i.e. put up in a quiet place on a short chain except for twice daily exercise and/or training/work) because that way, their entire life is work and without life distractions they are keener to obey. They also note (true enough) that you are training them every time you interact and why should domestic squabbles upset your sheepdog?

Sheepdogs in quiet places on short chains is the usual practice in the UK where sheepdogs are rarely house dogs.

I will not argue that my go-everywhere-with-me house dogs are better trial dogs because of their exposure to the Big World. I don't know if that's true. I do know that I've reached the National Finals semifinals with them and others who treat their dogs as I do have won that trial.

In September, I asked my sister her opinion of Fly after the three of us traveled in France, Ireland, Scotland and Dublin Hospital and chaos. Fly is the most difficult sheepdog I've ever owned on and off the field.

My sister, who is accustomed to typical pet dogs was flabbergasted at my question, "But she was perfect," she said.

Hotels, motels, rentacars, airplanes, cities, farms, ferry cages, sick owner, wheelchairs, trains, taxis and trialing sheep. Come to think of it: she was.

Donald McCaig

Ohh speaking of dominance/guarding issues At one point someone told me to spit in my dog's food so the dog wouldn't guard the food because they will know it is my food not theirs... That was pretty strange.

The first puppy class I ever took, the trainer told me to spit in my dog 's food so he would know I was dominant and would stop being an exuberant puppy. Lol.

I teach a puppy class and just this week, I had a student ask about how to get her dog to tug and another student piped up with 'don't tug with your dog, it makes them aggressive.'

'don't tug with your dog, it makes them aggressive.'

With respect to the above advice:

When I brought my pup into my vet (at that time) for his first visit, I was also given all sorts of warnings about crazy BCs, don't ever tug and that I should read the book (the older version at that time) put out by the Monks of New Skete.

I did that with Kipp at first. He was sooooo used to entertaining himself (and not in a good way) and had no clue about interacting with people. It helped a lot. I'd never do it with a pup though. Because why??? I've heard people giving out that advice for pups and young dogs who just need time and training and makes me want to go "noooo"

I think there are unique situations where limiting interaction with other household dogs can be appropriate.

But as blanket advice, I consider it bad advice.

Way back when we were looking to add a new rescue (who turned out to be Dean), someone told me - very seriously - to isolate the dog and never let the dog interact with household dogs. At that point we hadn't even picked out prospects to meet, much less did we know anything about the background and temperament of our then-future addition.

And such isolation would have been a very bad fit for Dean.

I actually did separate him out for about a month or so and I took him outside by himself to play with just me each day for about 10 minutes before I let the other dogs out to join us. He was too focused on them and he needed to learn to disengage from them and interact with me, and those short play sessions, just the two of us, worked wonders.

But the rest of the time, he was free to interact with the other dogs, and that did him a world of good, as well.

I regard this advice much like I regard the "never let a Border Collie go in circles" advice. If one is dealing with a dog with OCD, it might be necessary to try to prevent circling (in conjunction with other behavior modification and/or meds). But that certainly isn't necessary for most Border Collies. It's not good general advice.

It can be applied to dogs for whom it is not appropriate, it can be applied to puppies, who do need normal interactions with the other household dogs, and it can be taken to the extreme.

I use mostly steak for training treats. I was at a drop in obedience class with Faith. Someone asked me what I was using. Steak. "Oh no, you must never use people food. They'll never eat their food again." I asked him what his favorite meal was, can't remember what his response was. Then I asked him if he was tempted to never eat anything else. "Well, no."

Also, I'm totally failing as a dog owner. We tug, I let them walk ahead of me, they sleep on my bed, and frequently eat dinner before me. Someone should rescue these poor creatures.

Off%20Racing_zpsodr9qzhn.jpg

The other day a trainer told me it was wise to not let a pup or dog interact with other dogs, as he would value that interaction more than the interaction with the owner (he wasn't talking about other household dogs, but about dogs one meets on walks or training). Although I understand where he's coming from, I've always allowed my dogs, actually encouraged them, to meet, greet and play with other dogs, provided they like each other, as it seems to me a dog won't learn dog etiquette unless he can practice. I also teach "we can ignore other passing dogs", but I want my dogs to learn how to play politely and interact apropriately, so they must have the regular chance to do so. And they seem to like it too.

All my dogs have prefered me to another dog, they might like playing but when I turn to go they've always broken play and came along. It seems to me too much micromanaging, even if I understand that if the owner doesn't actively work to make himself valuable to the dog, he might come to prefer other dogs to his person. But it doesn't seem natural nor logical to just block the access to an important part of the dog's world.

I think that advice is just weird. I've never been one to want a completely controlled dog. I like my dogs to let their personality show. I like for them to think for themselves. I like to watch them interact with me and each other.

When I very first got a border collie I thought I was interested in obedience. Some of those poor dogs were nothing but a piece of meat on a leash. I thought it was really, really sad. Those dogs had no spark to them at all.

And then I also realized that I thought obedience and dog training were really boring so we quit that stuff. Actually we quit when the very well known trainer we were going to tried - for absolutely no good reason - to put a pinch collar on my very soft dog. I didn't know any better back then or I would never have let that happen. My poor dog just totally freaked out. And we left and never went back.

I absolutely love taking care of animals but I don't like to train. And I'm not good at it.

I am like you in that - I like to let my dog's personalities show, and for them to think for themselves, and for them to interact with me and with each other.

I love training, but I always want my training to result in a dog whose individuality shines through in any kind of performance. Tessa may not be the fastest Agility dog, but she has style. She is lovely to watch and I get compliments from strangers all the time. I think it is because they see who she is in her work out there on the course.

And Freestyle is the epitome of bringing the individuality of the dog into a sport!

And sometimes my dogs prefer each other to me. I had to laugh last winter when I was home on a snow day and I was in the computer room and I realized there was not a dog in the room with me. I tiptoed out to the living room and found the three of them curled up on the furniture in the room, enjoying a mid-morning siesta. Usually when I am home, at least one of them is with me, but I realized that they were likely following their own pattern that they follow when I'm not there. I went back to what I was doing and left them alone. Why shouldn't they enjoy spending some down time with each other?

But start a training session and every one of them is vying to be the one who gets to stay out and work with me!

I have never had an issue with any of my dogs not wanting to engage with me when I want them to because I allow them to interact with each other freely the vast majority of the time.

All my dogs have prefered me to another dog, they might like playing but when I turn to go they've always broken play and came along. It seems to me too much micromanaging, even if I understand that if the owner doesn't actively work to make himself valuable to the dog, he might come to prefer other dogs to his person. But it doesn't seem natural nor logical to just block the access to an important part of the dog's world.

My dogs have always had canine and human friends that they were eager to spend time with. Since I'm at home most of the time, I'm with my dogs a lot. If one of their special friends come over, they pretty much ignore me, and that's fine. Sometimes one of their friends will take them out for a walk. They leave without a look over their shoulder. I call it the "Grandma Effect." Grandma does stuff with the grandkids that mom & dad don't do, and she also tends to spoil them.

But when they come home, they come and tell me all about their adventures, and love me up. Why should a dog not have friends? I know dogs I like very much, and I have lots of human friends. Doesn't keep me from feeling that my dog is the bestest friend ever... Why should it be any different for the dog?

Weirdest advice I ever heard was from a woman who told me that if I wanted my dog to be a good watchdog I should put gunpowder in her food. Yeesh!

I've heard the one about drug detection dogs being given drugs (could the logic be, if you create an addiction in the dog, he will search for drugs more frantically??? I need a fix... Nah, it just has no logic), and I've always thought, yeah, and arms detection dogs are given gunpowder, right? And there you go, people say that too.

Beware of overdosing, you might blow him up.

Beware of overdosing, you might blow him up.

Hmmmm. Maybe. I just figured that it would wreak such havoc inside the dog - especially on the way out, that he might be in a really foul mood and want to eat everyone. :o

I've heard the one about drug detection dogs being given drugs (could the logic be, if you create an addiction in the dog, he will search for drugs more frantically??? I need a fix... Nah, it just has no logic), and I've always thought, yeah, and arms detection dogs are given gunpowder, right? And there you go, people say that too.

I've heard it years ago, and I didn't want to believe it but it came from a very credible source. So, I did some research and yeah: my credible source was wrong for once.