BC Boards

Dog Food-sorta ethical question

As some of you know, my husband and I drive truck. Well, sometimes when we go to a cust. if some of the freight is damaged we will either take it to a warehouse where it will be resold or sent back to shipper, depending on the value-expense of shipping ratio there is. But, alot of the time they just tell us to do what ever we want with it. Right now we have about 30 cases of Kleenex in our shed! Mostly what we get is dog food! You would not believe how much of it is damaged in shipping! Anyway, last week DH brought home two 40# bags of Purina ONE Lamb, which I have been feeding Jackson anyway. That's good! two 20# bags of Purina Cat food, and 14 cases of Purina Moist and Meaty. There are 6 boxes in each case with 12 pouches in each box. We thought we would give it to the dogs as like a treat. Otis, my daugh. dog that we have and don't know what to do with, won't eat it, Jackson threw it up. Cheyenne is the only one that seemed to be ok but after Jackson barfed we took it from all the dogs.

Now, here is the question. I had planned on taking it to the local animal shelter(also one of the bags of cat food) but if I think it is lousy for my dogs, and won't give it to them, why should I give it to the poor dogs in shelter? It is so hard for me to just toss it, I suppose I could try to sell it. It is just a little thing but am wondering y'alls thoughts on it.

Thanks!

Well, I would still give it to the shelter. Some kinda food is better than no food in my opinion. I think shelters really need money, and if you cant donate it, then supplies is the next best thing. I wouldnt feed it to my dog or cat, but you can bet ur sweet a**, I wouldnt blink an eye to give it to a shelter. Anything to help them. The food will not be long term obviously. I think you're helping save animal lives by giving money or supplies. My husband and I donate money when we go to shelters. But it is only my husband and I, so we can afford to do more that sort of thing. We only donate $30 or so, but still that adds up after every time we go you know? I think it all adds up, my cash donation, your food donation. All making it easier for money for vets or what not. ... Just my opinion. I hope Im not blasted too bad.

No qualms there, bring it to a shelter. Every little bit helps and if they're spending a little less on food they can buy treats...or vaccinations..emergency fund.

I would be a surprised if a shelter turns you away and even if it's not an optimum diet, look at it this way, hopefuly the dogs won't be on it for long as they'll be placed!

Maria

Thanks all! RaisingRiver, point taken! DH told me last night that he had even more dog food from the last load he did! Jeeze! The shelter dogs will definately have a variety! And he said some of the food is puppy chow. OOOOhhh, puppies! Now how do I get the food to the shelter people WITHOUT going and looking at the dogs? Then how do I leave them! What if there is puppies?

Maria, I never thought about that! Mrs.Palmer you also make a good point!

Dixie Girl..I know you've already decided to take it to the shelter and I'll just add my "YEP! do so! Our shelter is always appreciative of donations of dog food/cat food, blankets, etc. It helps keep our costs down so we can spay & neuter before they leave for new homes.

Get receipts from the shelters when you donate such items.Tax write off.

Even though it was given to you, the item still has assessible value and being truckers over a years time it probably would add up to a tidy sum.

Look at any puppies or dogs at your own risk though.

Originally posted by Dixie_Girl:

Now how do I get the food to the shelter people WITHOUT going and looking at the dogs? Then how do I leave them! What if there is puppies?

Hhhmmmm....go in with your eyes closed? Lol... just kidding.

But seriously, I would definately dontate it to the shelter.

Alot of shelter dogs have been starved and would be thrilled with any food. Hopefully they won't be on it long and so I wouldn't think it would hurt them..

Our humane society also gives food to people who have fallen on hard times so that they can feed their pets. As others have said, it is better than no food at all. Anyways, all the shelters around here feed whatever is the cheapest, so what is the difference.

I don't know what I was thinking! I just get too caught up in right and wrong sometimes! Thanks all for the voice of correct reasoning! I would like to donate to where it will do the most good. So, unless someone knows of a rescue close by I will take it all to the shelter.

As far as I know we don't have a Paws Aid here.

P.S.I do have all those dang cases of Kleenex if anyone is interrested! :rolleyes: probly should take them to the local elem. school for all those snotty nosed youngins! LOL