BC Boards

Institute for Bad Border Collies

I mentioned that Gibbs discovered that FOOD is kept on the kitchen counter a few weeks ago. The tip-off was the smell of baked broccoli, of all things.

So two weeks ago I made some chicken, ate some, left the rest on a plate to cool. Went into the kitchen to do dishes, and there was no chicken left on the plate for my lunch the next day. Gibbs looked very innocent.

Last night I made some chicken, left it on the counter to cool, pushed to the back this time. I hear the tiny little sound of toe nails on the linoleum, and turn to see Special Agent Gibbs on his hind legs, weasely nose on the counter sniffing for chicken. I yelled. I may have used harsh language. He slunk, slinked? out of the kitchen.

I may make up some doggy t-shirts that say, "Institute for Bad Border Collies" and give them away. Got a ring to it, don't you think?

If I figure out how to upload from Photobucket, I'll post a pic of SAG in a 'who, me?' sort of pose.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

I may make up some doggy t-shirts that say, "Institute for Bad Border Collies" and give them away. Got a ring to it, don't you think?

I've had several fosters who studied there. Rhys bach, whose specialty was advanced counter surfing techniques, could snaffle a loaf of bread faster than the eye could see. His favourite was my Cheese, Apple and Chili sourdough bread, which need to be guarded with vigilance while it was cooling down. Scaled at 840 grams, that's quite a snack, but he could finish one off with not a crumb remaining.

I had a terrible time with Zeke when I first got him. He had been an outside dog so he didn't know squat about inside manners. He would jump onto the kitchen table and climb onto the kitchen counter. From there he could get into the cupboards (mine don't have doors).

But he quit doing that and I'm not sure why. He housebroke himself in about 2 days. He also quit jumping up on the table after I yelled at him a couple of times.

I still never leave anything resembling food on the counter. And trash goes outside as soon as I'm finished with cooking.

I saw a video of a dog that actually pushed the kitchen chair up to the counter, climbed up on it and got up on the counter. Then he just kind of swept the counter for anything good. Then he just jumped down.

I have had a lot of dogs over the years...at one point we had 8 and its been 20+ years since I have had fewer than 3. I have had a Golden, a couple of Siberian Huskies, a couple of Dalmatians, a few mix breeds, a handful of Papillons and 5 Border Collies.

Not one of the Border Collies ever was a counter surfer. The Papillons aren't either, but that's primarily because they are short.

The Golden was the worst, but everyone else over 10" tall at some point learned food was on the counter and could be pilfered.

Not the Border Collies. 2 of them would take toys if they found them unattended, but none have stolen food. Molly stole a tennis ball off the counter that was right next to a cooling chicken carcass waiting to be turned into soup and didn't touch the chicken.

Is that weird or what?

I hereby apply for entry into the Institute for Bad Border Collies.

I laughed hysterically when Dean "skinned" part of our Christmas lasagna (which my husband left in his easy reach). (He long ago learned to keep four on the floor in the kitchen, but this proved far too irresistible)

I shamelessly ran my video camera and egged all three of my dogs on as they barked through Simon and Garfunkel's "Sound of Silence" and then posted the video on Facebook.

Although a human, I relate to the Border Collie mentality and feel I would fit in perfectly, as a true rabble rouser at heart.

Thank you for your kind consideration of my application!

Although a human, I relate to the Border Collie mentality and feel I would fit in perfectly, as a true rabble rouser at heart.

You and me both, Root Beer!

And I have had a foster dog or 2 who clearly had advanced degrees from there. Especially the adolescent border collie mix who weighed only 28 pounds but was able to turn a large welded wire dog crate into a pile of scrap metal without acquiring any injuries to her self what ever. I have never seen anything like it.

Then there's Jester, who was always a dog of impeccable manners whether I was home or not...........until he turned ten years of age. Since then (he is now 13) he cannot be left alone loose in the house, not even for a half hour. If there's nothing on the counter he will rip into the dog food bin or tip over the garbage and strew it all over the house. If I hide the food and the garbage he will find something to chew. It is as if he waited until he was ten to have a puppyhood. Only thing is, I don't think he will grow out of this one. :rolleyes:

Rose needs to join the institute and I need the t-shirt too! She loves to steal treats out of treat pouches and will rob complete strangers- her favorite method is to raid the pouch while they are bent over tying their shoes. . . :) She's also eaten birthday cakes while visiting other people's houses, stolen entire chicken dinners, gotten garbage cans stuck on her head at the vet clinic, and has had several GI obstructions (yes, mulch IS a food group!).

Bethany, Rose, and Loki

We've not had a problem with our dogs but at Thanksgiving, one of the grandchildren came in from the kitchen to politely and calmly announce that "Dan is licking the turkey." He was, having licked clean one drumstick. But I blame the person (who will not be named) who left the buttered turkey in its pan right on the edge of the counter when there was a long-legged dog visiting in the house. It was all okay - the turkey was ready for roasting!

Thanksgiving must be the day for good dogs to go bad! I have always been able to leave food on the coffee table when we have guests, well after a good meal and lots of wine one of my guests noticed there was one piece of cheese missing from the cheese board, Brody had carefully extracted a large chunk of nice cheddar, he left the salami, prosciutto, Brie and other much more intresting stuff than cheddar, but cheddar was what he fancied.

I can leave meat to defrost on the bench, cooked meat to cool, you name it, Duke won't touch it. One night we had custard and the next morning there is Duke SITTING on the bench eating the left over custard in the bowls with a few broken plates on the floor and an innocent look on his face.

No, surprisingly enough. All was well- my theory is the flour and butter compensated for the fibre. She was perhaps a little more regular than usual.

What amazed me was that the heavy ceramic dish was on the floor- but completely undamaged, and the tinfoil cover on it wasn't even crumpled.

What amazed me was that the heavy ceramic dish was on the floor- but completely undamaged, and the tinfoil cover on it wasn't even crumpled.

You'll have to double check with Ruth and Agent Gibbs, but seems to me that this alone might qualify you guys for a full scholarship to the Institute for Bad Border Collies. ^_^

My dogs would very much like to get into the Apple, cheese and chili sourdough bread as well as the rhubarb crumble. Recipes appreciated....

And my Empress is a good girl. She used to counter-surf as a puppy. I explained this was not appropriate for the soon-to-be Ruler of the Known Universe. She agreed to listen to her advisor, and immediately desisted. However, that left the issue of how to get into foodstuffs unresolved to her satisfaction. Therefore, she proceeded to jump on the counter with all four paws.....The Empress is a BC (not a cat).

She pretty clearly communicates these days that certain food items are better shared. Can we get a t-shirt anyway?

My dogs would very much like to get into the Apple, cheese and chili sourdough bread as well as the rhubarb crumble. Recipes appreciated....

My recipe is derived from the one published in "Vegetarian Southwest -- Lon Walters" [iSBN 0-87358-710-3]. It's Chef Xubi Wilson's "Atalaya's Green Chile-Apple-Cheddar Sourdough". I don't make it as aggressively sour as the original-- more European style.

Dear Members,

My favorite happeed when Kate Broadbent visited. We had the five gallon stock pot filled with turkey broth, cooling on the outside freezer. Three legged Dex jumped onto the freezer, removed the lid and he and his two pals dined.

All three dogs' heads were dipped in grease to their ruffs.

Donald McCaig