BC Boards

Senior Vestibular Disease

RoseAmy

My friends almost 14 yr old bitch woke up yesterday with vestibular disease. She was fine the day before even helped with sheep chores but in the morning she had it bad. Head tilting, staggering, falling into walls etc. Also throwing up. Vet said it's like being upside down on a roller coaster 24/7..hence the throwing up (think seasick). Said MOST cases resolve in up to two weeks. Doesn't stop the worrying.

I've helped her make a sling so she can help her get outside to potty. Have her on a big quilt with plastic under in case of accidents.

She goes hours without moving..She has to be hand fed at this point, baby food/cooked hamburger/oatmeal anything she can lap up..has problems chewing. Is drinking water..again we have to hold it up for her.

Anyone here ever went though this..if so we would love suggestions and ideas..though we know the biggest thing is time..

I went through this with Zachary, my miniature schnauzer. They are very, very dizzy so letting her rest is the best thing. I had to hand feed for about 4 days before he was feeling less 'tipsy'. In his case, I was able to carry him out to do his business, but was told to be sure to hold his paws so he didn't feel disconnected from the ground. It is very similar to a severe inner ear infection that affects your balance, etc.

It came on suddenly as well and it was about 2 weeks before it resolved completely. He still has a head tilt.

If it is only vestibular disease, while very scary to watch, the dog seems to adapt fairly well.

The worst thing about it is that there's so little you can do for them, and it's hard seeing them feel so miserable. The best thing about it is that it's so much less serious than it looks. Rest and reassurance are the most important, and then time does fix it for the most part. I've heard of folks using Dramamine and feeling that it helps, but I didn't do that so I can't say from personal experience. Anyway, it sounds like she is getting very good care. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Hi - I have had 3 dogs with vestibular and continue to be amazed at what little seems to be known about the disorder. I guess because it tends to affect older dogs, not much testing and research is performed.

This is what I have learned through discussions with various vets including a neurologist.

The current thinking is that the problem is caused by an imbalance or infection in either the inner ear or in the brain. The direction of the nystagma - whether the eye movements are side to side or more circular is thought to be an indication of where the problem is. Unfortunately, I can't remember which is which off the top of my head. I think circular movements are indicative of brain involvement where side to side is thought to be inner ear. If the problem is inner ear related, recovery is typically quicker and much more complete. I have seen a couple of dogs, including one of my own, that did not recover and had to be euthanized. My dogs eye movements were circular.

Very often, the syndrome is caused by an ear infection and it is a good practice to have the dog examined to be sure.

The syndrome is quite variable. I currently have a dog that has had it 4 times since the end of Dec. Each time, he has recovered within a few hours. Many people say that a dog will get it once and never again. This is not true.

It is very important to try to get the dog to eat and drink if the recovery is taking more than a day or two. Very difficult, I know.

Good luck to your friend and her dog,

gail

One thing I forgot - I used a large syringe to get water into Zachary because he was having such an issue trying to lap from the bowl. Also, his appetite was severely compromised because he was nauseous. I used BOOST (a human supplement) in a syringe as well. Thankfully, I didn't have to use the syringe method very long.

Hope the pup feels better soon

Just watch her for dehydration, they can be quite nauseous and then they won't eat or drink...the vet can give them an injection that helps with the nausea symptom which makes them feel a little better. My Golden was seeming never nauseous but the last Border Collie I had who got it wouldn't drink even a little water without barfing and needed the medication.

I also got a sling harness at Petsmart, it was blue and I could put it on in the morning and leave it on all day. It made it easy to offer a little support when it was needed without fussing with a towel. It was about $20, I think.

Here's a picture of Roo in her harness, you can't see it too well but it wasn't hard for her to move in. She, naturally, refused to lie on carpet, always the hardwood and would need help getting up.

rooinharness.jpg

Shoshone had 2 episodes. I put a harness on her and left it, so I could help her up and down the stairs.

I used Dramamine - when I forgot, she'd throw up whatever she'd eaten last.

The second go-round took longer to resolve than the first, and gave her a pronounced head tilt. I did hand feed her for a few days, but she got tired of waiting for me and starting picking things up for herself after about the 4th day.

It's very hard to see them so disoriented, but most of the time it passes.

My vet said I could use generic benedryl, too, for the nauseau, but the Dramamine worked fine.

Ruth

Wow quite a surprise how common this is! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Gail..we didn't know about the eye thing..hers is moving back and forth..

She's feeding her a little every couple of hours..she has a hard time eating but once you can jump start her she does better.. She is drinking.

Today there wasn't any throwing up or wetting accidents. My friend is hopeful because she still tries to go out when the other dogs go out. AND the best thing when I was over there this afternoon to work dogs..she started barking when she realized what was up..

We loaded her in the golf cart and let her tag along..her spirit seems there.

We've fashoned a sling which works well and my friend is using a folded quilt for a bed and a stretcher.

Thanks for the good wishes I will pass them along to my friend.

Its been almost a year since my Annie had her first episode. I'd never encountered it before or heard of it, one minute she was fine the next she couldn't get up, had a head tilt, her eyes were moving side to side and she refused to eat. I didn't have any Dramamine, but used Benedryl. I had to hand feed her and use a syringe to give her water. I used my old pony halter and a short leash to make a harness so I could support her when I took her outside. I bought canned dog food, yogurt, basically tried anything to get her to eat and drink on her own. One thing I noticed, she was more comfortable ouside than inside, I think her vision got messed up as inside she would follow close to all the walls and was afraid to walk on the linoleum floor. It was a good month before she started to act a little more like herself, and gradually the head tilt left, and she was back to her spunky self. She did have a short bought again later that year, but it was milder, so there is always the possibility of it happening again.

Samantha

Reading this almost made me cry. My Reno had this and it was so scary. But amazingly enough he did recover within a few weeks...he had another spell a month layer, recovered again and didn't have any more. It did cause him to lose his hearing but otherwise he was ok. Best wishes.

Ive used Dramamine and it helped allot with the nauseousness. It also helped them to rest and not be so freaked out. My first dog as an adult (long ago) had it so bad and before we knew anything about it or what it was we had put him on the couch and he fell off. Broke his leg in the fall. It was a mess and I felt terribly at fault for letting him on the couch.

Such a hard thing to watch. But I do believe it's not as bad as it looks as long as you can keep them eating and drinking and off the couch!

Hope she recovers quickly.

My Lucy had this when she was about 9 years old. I had never heard of it prior to that and was scared out of my mind (so was she, poor girl). Unfortunately it was mid winter and icy outside...potty trips were dangerous enough without feeling dizzy. We both fell a couple times. Dad came to the rescue though and dug out a large section of the yard for her and dried it as best as he could with a blow torch (interesting sight...it worked, though the yard took a while to recover). After a few weeks Lucy was mostly back to her normal self, though she did have a slight head tilt until she passed away five or so years later.

Well day four and she's sleeping less..but still can't get around very good, and doesn't seem to want to get around. Drinking good but getting food in her is hard..seems like she can't chew only lap..

Thanks for sharing your stories..My friend is really beginning to question the fairness in keeping the dog going. I quess in the back of her mind she's afraid that there is something bigger going on.

Hearing what you all went though with your dogs is helping her and giving her hope.

Another example, another Lucy! Mine had an "attack" - it happened very quickly, and we just happened to be at her internal medicine vet's office at the time. I was sure he had caused it! Not really - he's great. All the same stuff - hard to move around, inappetance, impossible to go thru my dog door (thankfully, it was summer and few bugs, so I just left a door open most of the time). She gradually got better, but it took more like two MONTHS than weeks (she was 14+ yr old at the time - maybe age is a factor?). She still (at almost 16!) has a slight head tilt, but that's the only remnant.

One thing about eating: yes, tongues don't work so well. My Lucy's still doesn't work 100%. Raising up both food and water bowls helps a LOT, and with older dogs is a good idea anyway. I changed her food bowl from metal to ceramic (heavier so it doesn't slide around), and put both bowls up on boxes. Think: being dizzy and having to bend over to eat! I think it made a huge difference in her wanting to eat.

Another thing your friend might want to try, as the dog recovers: sometimes they develop aversions to various and odd things. Perhaps the location of food reminds the dog of nausea. Perhaps the type of bowl, obviously perhaps the type of food, maybe even the time of day fed. Just keep playing with variations, and someday she may be back to normal everything!

And yes, I think most of us questioned the reality of keeping a dog with vestibular going - don't give up! I think *most* old dogs have it at some point, and nearly all get through it just fine!

diane

Archived