BC Boards

Getting frustrated

First off, Hello from rainy Seattle!

I can finally post after stalking for a week and waiting for my approval to go thru. I am in search of my next BC. I am wanting to get into agility and maybe some sheep herding for fun. I've owned BC's in the past so I'm familiar with the breed. I'm also a horse person but after losing 3 horses in less than 3 years with my last one being last month :( (long story) I have decided to sell my last barrel horse and get out of horses for awhile. It's a weird transition for me as I've always competed and had horses since I was a teenager. All of this is starting to sink in and I realized that I can't just be a SAHM, I need to do something! So I've decided to dive into the agility world so I can feed my need to compete biggrin.gif Now I don't necessarily need a puppy, but I'm pretty good with puppies so that's what I've been looking for. However I did fill out an adoption application for a real cute girl named 'Paige' that's between 1-2yo and is labeled as a BC cross. She looks full blooded to me but it was hard to tell from the pics. So we'll see.

My frustration lies in finding a reputable breeder of working quality dogs. I started off with a few places I found that were going to be having puppies in March and then I did some digging here only to read they were not recommended and were labeled puppy mills. Then I thought I found a decent small breeder and noticed her stud went back to a few of Richard Swaffords dogs in TN angry.gif I bought a puppy from that man once back in 2008 and she died 3 days later from Parvo and he promised a refund which of course we never saw. So that place was out just for that fact. Then I found a place here in WA that I thought was the one, but then read here on the boards today about dogs having horrible aggression issue's and going blind! No thanks. So then I went back to a breeder that I felt bred a higher drive dog than what I thought would be suited for me only to find out she only has AKC dogs now. Grrrrrr!

Now there is one breeder in TX that I can't seem to find any info on and I'm curious about him. Mill Iron S Ranch, Steve Wight. I've emailed him but I haven't heard anything back in a week. He has a couple litters on the way in March. Maybe that's a flag in itself. Then I contacted another breeder in BC but they didn't have anything but they referred me to Diane Gauthier of Keen Eye Stockdogs. She had a litter in October so not sure any of those are even available now. Anyone have any input on either of these breeders?

It's so easy to get sucked up into the pretty websites with gorgeous dogs plastered all over them! I guess I should be thankful I'm smart enough to do some research. I know what I want, why is it so hard to find?

I look forward to getting to know all of you here and learning about the great world of agility and showing off my new member of the family (hopefully in the next few months) and all of our great accomplishments smile.gif

P.S. I've already read READ THIS FIRST and all the other stickies at the top.

I suggest going to a local sheepherding trial and talking with handlers there to find someone local to breed. I'm from Bellingham and know of several breeders in the area, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to recommend one.

There's a trial February 11 in Roy, Washington. Not too far from Seattle. Details here: http://www.wastockdoghandlers.org/?page_id=101

If someone has *several* upcoming litters, run, don't walk, away. HUGE red flag. I second Jim's suggestion. Go to a sheepdog trial. Meet some good working breeders. You may wait a bit longer for your pup, but you'll be starting in the right place. Many good working dog breeders have only a limited web presence, so actually meeting them in person is the way to go. And even if the folks you meet at a trial don't have any pups or any litters planned, they might be able to point you toward someone who does.

J.

I am from the Seattle area, in fact, Carnation, which is east of seattle. We are a working kennel. I would be happy to point you to reputable breeders. We don't plan to breed until later this year. Those pups have all been spoken for at this time.

I am also judging the trial on Feb 11th. Look me up and I can get you squared away.

I am from the Seattle area, in fact, Carnation, which is east of seattle. We are a working kennel. I would be happy to point you to reputable breeders. We don't plan to breed until later this year. Those pups have all been spoken for at this time.

I am also judging the trial on Feb 11th. Look me up and I can get you squared away.

I will Diane! Thanks :) I had already looked you up but saw you weren't planning any litters any time soon :)

I have a couple good leads right now so we'll see if anything comes about. I sure hope so. Although I'm not in a terrible hurry to find a dog, it sure would be nice to fill that hole in my heart left from losing my 'Joker' in December. Also I'm really looking forward to doing something different on a competitive level other than horses!!!!

I will keep you guys posted.

Hey I too am a horse person trying to become x horse person

My current horse was injured severly and while waiting on his recovery took up agilty wow what a blast it is I am now hooked I am sure since you are a former can chaser you will get sucked in too from the rush and challenge

its much harder than a horse IMO

I started with my toy aussie and then was given a border collie and this board has been the best for me getting good info in regard to BC things

My BC is currently injured not from agility so we are working on diagnostics right now

I have looked for possibly getting another dog when my horse gets sold and the best finds are word of mouth from what I am seeing.

My BC came from a cutting trainer in Texas that just raised them for his own farm work so no idea on his bloodlines but hes so much fun I hope you find the dog for you

I am sure you will really enjoy it. Sadly the breeder of mine is now incarcerated so no more dogs or he would be the first place I looked.

Anyway sorry for the book just saw you posted and welcome to the board.

It's so easy to get sucked up into the pretty websites with gorgeous dogs plastered all over them! I guess I should be thankful I'm smart enough to do some research. I know what I want, why is it so hard to find?

I feel your frustration. After losing our 6 year old BC to a brain tumor a year ago, we were determined to get another one as soon as possible. Searched the tri-state area for breeders--none of them were reputable. Looked at at least a half dozen rescues, none of which were reputable. Finally, in December, we rescued a senior rough collie from a local group. He's a sweet, gentle dog and we love him, but I find myself still looking for "the right breeder." Once you've loved a Border Collie, no other breed will do.

Good luck in your search. :)

Hey I too am a horse person trying to become x horse person

My current horse was injured severly and while waiting on his recovery took up agilty wow what a blast it is I am now hooked I am sure since you are a former can chaser you will get sucked in too from the rush and challenge

its much harder than a horse IMO

I started with my toy aussie and then was given a border collie and this board has been the best for me getting good info in regard to BC things

My BC is currently injured not from agility so we are working on diagnostics right now

I have looked for possibly getting another dog when my horse gets sold and the best finds are word of mouth from what I am seeing.

My BC came from a cutting trainer in Texas that just raised them for his own farm work so no idea on his bloodlines but hes so much fun I hope you find the dog for you

I am sure you will really enjoy it. Sadly the breeder of mine is now incarcerated so no more dogs or he would be the first place I looked.

Anyway sorry for the book just saw you posted and welcome to the board.

Thanks for that! :) It's so hard to have horses at times. But I think it's the right time for me to get out of it for awhile. Hopefully my barrel horse will sell in the next couple months, he's with a friend on consignment and she's hauling him and running him.

I'm really looking forward to doing agility. I'd really like to do disc also but I really stink at throwing a frisbee lol

Hello, from another PNW'er, west side of the mountains. And a horse person, although I was a jumper, then dressage, now just play around in the arena and on trail.

I'll second or third or whatever coming to trials to meet people. I can think of two litters on the ground and another due in spring of nice working dogs. They may be all spoken for, though. In any case check out the WA Association of Stockdog Handlers upcoming events listings. There are a number of trials in Feb, and a bunch in June, close by (lambing in between...). Also the OR Sheepdog Society and the USBCHA also have listings. The USBCHA is national, so you'll have to scroll through to find local trials. Most local trials will also be on the WASH site. Be prepared to meet handlers, get to know their dog's working style, then inquiring about pups. Most working handlers don't breed unless they want a pup and/or there's demand for the pups. There may be pups on the ground that are not claimed because people do back out, and litters are larger than expected sometimes, but there's often a waiting list for nice litters.

Thank you for trying rescue. A number of people involved in rescue also have stock dogs, so coming to trials is a good way to get involved in both activities. There's also a lot of stock work/agility crossover here at the local level. Some very nice handlers also run their collies, or other dogs, in agility.

Thanks for that! :) It's so hard to have horses at times. But I think it's the right time for me to get out of it for awhile. Hopefully my barrel horse will sell in the next couple months, he's with a friend on consignment and she's hauling him and running him.

I'm really looking forward to doing agility. I'd really like to do disc also but I really stink at throwing a frisbee lol

Those disc dogs amaze me I too am frisbee challenged!

I am sure you will have a blast learning now to find you a partner I am dying to get my boy well so we can go back to playing agility he is the most fun my other dog is fun but nothing like this foolish monkey

he is sooooo bad he will run from one obstacle to another like look at me of course I just stand there in dismay and its not helping curb this naughty boy behavior!

Good Luck in your search for a pup!

Just wanted to chime in and ask how soon do you hope to do agility? You may already understand this so I apologize in advance if I am telling you something you already know, but..... once you get your pup, you should not be practicing complete agility courses until the pup is over a year old. One nationally known competitor I know did not even start training her young dog on weaves until the dog was a year old. And full height jumping is also generally delayed until the dog is over 12-14 months old.

Having said that, if you are the type of person who loves training and watching the pup develop over time, there is PLENTY of foundation training that can, and should, be practiced while the pup is growing up.

If you want to try your hand at agility sooner rather than later (15-18 months from now if you get a pup in the next month or two), consider a rescue. Some of the high energy BCs that are perfect for agility often end up in rescue around 6 or 8 or 10 months old when their owners can't handle them any more.

Jovi

Also email breeders and ask to be on a list. Sometimes they have litters and do not advertise them or keep back a pup and then decided to sell the pup. Also go to the local trial folks and visit them. Offer to help out. Get a few lessons and they then can see you are serious. It makes a huge difference in meeting someone in person than over the internet.

Good Luck in your search for a pup!

Just wanted to chime in and ask how soon do you hope to do agility? You may already understand this so I apologize in advance if I am telling you something you already know, but..... once you get your pup, you should not be practicing complete agility courses until the pup is over a year old. One nationally known competitor I know did not even start training her young dog on weaves until the dog was a year old. And full height jumping is also generally delayed until the dog is over 12-14 months old.

Having said that, if you are the type of person who loves training and watching the pup develop over time, there is PLENTY of foundation training that can, and should, be practiced while the pup is growing up.

If you want to try your hand at agility sooner rather than later (15-18 months from now if you get a pup in the next month or two), consider a rescue. Some of the high energy BCs that are perfect for agility often end up in rescue around 6 or 8 or 10 months old when their owners can't handle them any more.

Jovi

Oh yes, I know I won't be competing for quite some time :) Being a horse person I know all about waiting until their bodies are physically ready for the demands of competition.

There is a great Obedience/Agility center not far from where I live and she offers all kinds of classes including nose work. So my plan is to do obedience, and work on all the basics and then get into some nose work etc. while attending trials getting to know people. I know I keep saying I'm looking forward to competing but what I really mean is I'm looking forward to being able to devote ALL of my time to my dog instead of it being split between the horses etc. It's hard to have more than one hobby ;)

Oh yes, I know I won't be competing for quite some time :) Being a horse person I know all about waiting until their bodies are physically ready for the demands of competition.

There is a great Obedience/Agility center not far from where I live and she offers all kinds of classes including nose work. So my plan is to do obedience, and work on all the basics and then get into some nose work etc. while attending trials getting to know people. I know I keep saying I'm looking forward to competing but what I really mean is I'm looking forward to being able to devote ALL of my time to my dog instead of it being split between the horses etc. It's hard to have more than one hobby ;)

It sounds like you have the patience and knowledge to bring along a pup. I also did beginning obedience with my dog (more to train ME how to train a dog since it had been a while). It worked well to start him with some control and house manners. On the other hand, I did not continue in obedience (i.e. start the competition obedience classes) because I had heard that it could be detrimental to future agility training and any sheepherding I might want to do(plus I found it extremely boring). Since then, I have had a friend who did some competition obedience (since that is what she did with her previous dog) and ended up with a velcro agility dog - not what she wanted. I have also seen a video of a BC with a high obedience title who was so focused on his handler that he was a very slow agility dog, waiting for the next command. I felt so sorry for both the dog (who couldn't relax enough to enjoy the agility game) and the handler (who was trying to micromanage her dog in agility similar to obedience). Anyway-sorry for the tangent.

I understand about multiple hobbies. It is nice when you find "the one".

Jovi

Martha McHardy of Marcar Border Collies has a litter right now and a couple males are available: http://www.marcar.ca/Welcome.html

I have 3 dogs from her that I compete with in USBCHA trials. The sire of the litter is a successful Open trial dog, Cap owned by Dee Marroni in Olympia. The dam is competing in P/N with a Novice handler. Her sire is a Canadian National champion. Martha is keeping the female from this litter and Dee is picking a male.

There are numerous Open trial dogs in Washington from Martha's kennel and top competitve agility dogs also.

cheers Lani

Then I thought I found a decent small breeder and noticed her stud went back to a few of Richard Swaffords dogs in TN angry.gif I bought a puppy from that man once back in 2008 and she died 3 days later from Parvo and he promised a refund which of course we never saw. So that place was out just for that fact.

What do you mean by "her stud went back to a Swafford dog?" She bought her stud from him or he's providing a stud for her to use?

Please tell me he's not breeding again!! I hope the law enforcement are keeping a close eye on him.

First off, Hello from rainy Seattle!

It just occurred to me, but at least one of the littermates to my Bonny is available. It's a male, will be a year old later this month. Short hair, tri-color. The person who got him is having to re-home due to financial issues. The breeder also has 2 more litter mates that may be available, I'd have to check with him.

Both parents have papers and the pups are registered with the American Border Collie Association. The dam is out of Laura Vishoot's dogs, and the sire comes from Dirk Vansant in Belgium (who was on the Belgium team at the International sheepdog trial last year).

I can only speak for Bonny, but she's a very sweet dog, loves people, and is quite calm. If you are interested in sheepherding, there's an advantage of getting a slightly older dog rather than a puppy because you can get an idea of what talent they might have.

Anyway, just a thought. Let me know if you'd like to make further inquiries.

Here's a picture of the one that I know is available: https://picasaweb.google.com/102389485335542185525/20110617?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSR6a678uGntQE#5704357962913687442

Hello from across the border!

If you are looking to train and begin to compete in agility sooner rather than later, I'd recommend getting a young adult or adult. That'll Do Border Collie Rescue or Border Collie Rescue of Washington has several.

If you are seeking a pup - I have met several dogs from a breeder in BC called Keen-Eye that compete in agility. All were very nice dogs. http://www.keen-eye.com/

I would also consider Creekside or Moy Hall for agility/working bred dogs.

Just a quick answer to your breeder question: I had a friend who made special trips to BC to train with Diana Gauthier, and she considered her an excellent trainer. She also got two dogs from Diana over time. Diana often keeps pups and puts some training on them, selling them later. The dogs my friend got from Diana were excellent herding dogs. Good luck in your search. You might consider a young dog, as well as a puppy.

Kathy Robbins

Archived