BC Boards

Getting frustrated

I am curious as to what research you are doing. You say you want to be serious/competitive in agility(or did I read that wrong?). Not trying to sound burnt out but not all border collies are equal on the agility field. I would look at the border collies doing well at some agility trials, personally I would look hard at the national level, look at who is in the top of the class and go from there.

I have found not many working breeder understand agility and seem to believe that a dog placing in novice a agility where there is no competition means they have produced a good agility dogs.

I am not saying go with a sports breeder but I would look to see what working breeder is producing competitive agility dogs. And then talk with those breeders instead of shooting in the dark. But maybe that's just me?!

I should add... don't look at just how the dogs are doing but also at their style. How do you want your dog to perform/look. :-)I I am sure I am saying it wrong.

I like the dogs to flow, look smooth, and effortless while running at the higher levels. Even if those dogs didn't win... that is more that I am looking for then say a dog that looks like it is scrambling and awkward while competing.

Wow! I just love all the info! Thanks everyone. Keep it coming :)

I have already contacted a rescue (WA one) and applied for an older dog, haven't heard a word. Don't really expect to either. I'm not set on getting a puppy. If an older dog comes along that I like I would consider him/her. Trust me, my son is just now sleeping thru the night on a regular basis and the thought of having a puppy to take out in the middle of the night makes me think I've gone crazy! lol But it's all good and that stage doesn't last too long. I need something else to focus on so I don't lose my mind. It used to be my horses and now it's going to be my dog, which actually works out better since I won't have to drive 30min to go see my dog!

I've contacted Diana @ Keen-Eye and she has one male, 3mos old ADORABLE, I just don't have a way to get him since I don't have a passport :(

I've also emailed on the Marcar litter and I haven't heard anything from them. Just assumed there weren't any available.

There are a couple puppies that I am looking at right now, just trying to be patient and see what else may come along :)

And as far as getting a top agility dog from a top agility breeder, that's not that important to me at this point. I'll be happy with a mediocre dog to start with and if this is something that I really want get serious about then I can look for another dog that can take me to that level :) Same goes with horses. I gotta start somewhere :)

Which rescue did you contact? Please remember that rescue is "staffed" by volunteers, most of whom have day jobs, families, etc. It can take some time to hear back. Some listings have a phone number- you should consider calling. Phones can get answered right away, sometimes email has to wait. It could be that the person you contacted just hasn't had time to review your application. Please don't give up on rescue.

I don't have kids, but raising a pup from 5 months on nearly drove me insane, and that was with an older, steady, nearly-perfect ( :) ) dog around. Turns out my pup, and indeed a number of his litter mates, do not like children. At all. My older dog loves them. You would probably be safest with an older dog with a proven record with kids.

Sorry if I'm being too blunt. I was just offered a dog who is a minor mess because her first owner got a completely wrong dog for his situation. Look at it this way: You'd buy an old, bomb-proof packer for your kids first horse, not a greenie with no proven record, right?

Good luck, and even if you find a dog, I really encourage you to come to some trials. As you can see, a lot of us are horse people, too, and the stock dog community here is really friendly. You might get addicted, though.... Just be warned :)

Edited... StOck dog not stIck dog...

It was the WA Border Collie rescue. I'm not giving up entirely. And yes I know it will be work if I get a puppy as well as taking care of my son, but thankfully my husband works a schedule that is varied so it will allow me time to work with the dog etc.

I plan on coming down to Roy on the 11th to meet some people and check out what the sheep herding is all about :) It sounds fun!!!!

Trust me I'm not pouncing on the first pup I find ;) When it's meant to be the right pup/dog will find me.

Welcome! You have received a lot of great advise on here; I think you will find a very strong agility community in the NW; I'm about 1 hour north of Seattle (no rain now, 3 sunny days in a row in February...YIPPEE!!!). We have 2 rescue border collies that I compete in agility with and one helps around the farm with sheep and have begun the search for a pup in the next 18 months or so as well as our sheep flock is growing quickly and I want to get more into stockwork. We rescued both dogs at about 10 months of age (although 5 years apart, it took that long to recover from Boots' destruction phase :)) While we don't know what their history was, I would put money on them starting off a cute, fuzzy puppies, then becoming evil, destructive, smart, gangley adolescence who were no longer so cute so got the boot :( I use to run barrels and have been riding in the reining world for the last 4 years or so and I think as you enter the agility world you will find many similarities, I have found the equine foundation has helped time and again with understanding my dogs body movement, paths and leads/directions, etc.

There is a NADAC agilty trial next weekend in Elma that might be worth going to; could be a good chance to watch some trainers, if you like some handler/dog teams you should ask them where they train and such. There are a lot of people who have rescue dogs there who you may be able to find some good rescue leads as well; and I think that one of Diane's pups will probably be there. I will be there on Saturday, if you are interested in meeting up there let me know.

Archived