BC Boards

Ears ringing

ejano

Ooops. In an unsuccessful attempt to teach the boys and Ladybug to "bark" Jingle Bells, I have inadvertently flipped a bark switch in Robin. I was using the ball as a reward for when they barked on command. When they barked, I tossed them a ball. Now every time he wants to play ball, it's bark, bark, bark, BARK!!! I ignore his attempts to entice me into a game and tell him "Quiet". At other times, when he is quiet, I toss the ball but it's not working too well. He immediately starts barking, then I end up correcting him when I intended to reward his original good behavior.

He's always been a barky dog when playing games. He understands "Quiet" and actually gives himself a "time out" -- lying down-- when I look at him, but now DH is about to kick him and me out in the street. Any tips to save our happy home?

I have this problem with Tobey when he wants to play ball/gets excited. He knows that he doesn't get anything until he sits and is quiet unless I ask him to speak. He has a bit of trouble with self-control :)

I think the best thing to do is over-reward the quiet behavior and ignore the barking behavior.

One thing that can help when Robin is barking, is to have him lie down. Dogs normally don't bark when lying down.

Hope that helps a touch...

Edit: I was going to ask if you clicker trained? If so I have some great ideas!

Let's get scientific! Woo hoo, my field of study :)

1. Introduce stimulus (start at a low point from across the room)

-Think of a big circle with the stimulus being the center. The outer edge being Robins threshold. And beyond that, where you will be working, classical conditioning, pairing stimulus with a cookie. When seeing the stimulus (ball) Robin is what we call an SR dog = Stimulus Response. He is thinking with his amygdala, reacting, he barks.

2. Pair stimulus with a cookie

-This works well with two people. You can have your husband be behind a door. Put a leash on Robin and keep him by your side. Whenever your husband shows the ball, immediately give Robin a treat (his favorite treat). Repeat this several times. Make sure Robin isn't barking during this. If he is barking, you've crossed the threshold.

3. Delay cookie

-Show Robin stimulus (ball), delay giving him a cookie until he looks at you. When he looks at you give cookie. Repeat.

4. Give cue

-Show stimulus, delay giving him cookie, Robin looks at you, don't cookie yet, once Robin looks back at the ball, say cue "look, or ball", click and treat. Repeat.

The more you work outside of his threshold, the smaller the circle gets. You will basically work your way up to being able to have a ball right next to him.

These sessions should be short, 5 minutes or so. Classical conditioning releases cortisol. It's released from the adrenal gland. For example, if you've ever had to speak in front of an audience and you were very nervous, it's likely you don't come down from the adrenaline until you've slept and woke up the next day. Sleeping releases oxytocin, bringing your levels back down. The great thing about those scooby snacks you will give Robin, is they too release oxytocin. Think of it as what comforts you. This is why you will work Robin at a distance, to keep his cortisol levels low. This way he can be a thinking, problem solving, relaxed dog, during the training sessions.

I hope that helps. Sorry if it's confusing. I just got off work and had no sleep last night!

Let's get scientific! Woo hoo, my field of study :)

1. Introduce stimulus (start at a low point from across the room)

-Think of a big circle with the stimulus being the center. The outer edge being Robins threshold. And beyond that, where you will be working, classical conditioning, pairing stimulus with a cookie. When seeing the stimulus (ball) Robin is what we call an SR dog = Stimulus Response. He is thinking with his amygdala, reacting, he barks.

2. Pair stimulus with a cookie

-This works well with two people. You can have your husband be behind a door. Put a leash on Robin and keep him by your side. Whenever your husband shows the ball, immediately give Robin a treat (his favorite treat). Repeat this several times. Make sure Robin isn't barking during this. If he is barking, you've crossed the threshold.

3. Delay cookie

-Show Robin stimulus (ball), delay giving him a cookie until he looks at you. When he looks at you give cookie. Repeat.

4. Give cue

-Show stimulus, delay giving him cookie, Robin looks at you, don't cookie yet, once Robin looks back at the ball, say cue "look, or ball", click and treat. Repeat.

The more you work outside of his threshold, the smaller the circle gets. You will basically work your way up to being able to have a ball right next to him.

These sessions should be short, 5 minutes or so. Classical conditioning releases cortisol. It's released from the adrenal gland. For example, if you've ever had to speak in front of an audience and you were very nervous, it's likely you don't come down from the adrenaline until you've slept and woke up the next day. Sleeping releases oxytocin, bringing your levels back down. The great thing about those scooby snacks you will give Robin, is they too release oxytocin. Think of it as what comforts you. This is why you will work Robin at a distance, to keep his cortisol levels low. This way he can be a thinking, problem solving, relaxed dog, during the training sessions.

I hope that helps. Sorry if it's confusing. I just got off work and had no sleep last night!

This is a very lucid explanation of classical conditioning! He gets very excited very fast when we're playing games or learning a new trick - now I know why. We've been making some progress...and we'll get it even if I have to bring one of my sheep home! He never barks around the sheep.

Thanks and Merry Christmas (get some sleep!)

Liz

One thing that can help when Robin is barking, is to have him lie down. Dogs normally don't bark when lying down.

They do, oh they do. Some dogs, like Shoshone, find barking to be So Much Fun that they bark lying down, on their backs, with their head under a pillow. Truly.

Liz, do try to keep a straight face when he barks. I think that when we laughed at Miss Quirk it convinced her that barking is a really fun thing.

Good luck!

Ruth

Yes as Ruth mentioned, dog's learn from us laughing. They repeat the behaviors.

It's true, lying down doesn't work for every dog. This was a pretty general statement. Shoshone sounds hilarious! :lol:

They do, oh they do. Some dogs, like Shoshone, find barking to be So Much Fun that they bark lying down, on their backs, with their head under a pillow. Truly.

Liz, do try to keep a straight face when he barks. I think that when we laughed at Miss Quirk it convinced her that barking is a really fun thing.

Good luck!

Ruth

I can picture Shosone :).

Thanks, Ruth. I actually glare at him :). Robin does not bark when he lays down -- he understands "Time out" and will cut it out and lie down instantly. Oddly, if he gets too excited, he also gives himself a "time out" by briefly lying down. I think he's trying to understand what I want and wishes I would understand what he wants: Play! Play! Play! This is FUN! Throw the ball puleeeze!

He's actually the quietest one in the house - never barks when people come but only barks barks barks when we're playing. We'll keep working with the classical conditioning...maybe one day DH will remove the curse upon my head.

I have a barker that I set into motion too!

When we were out in CO we were up on a mountain alone. No one cared if we barked or danced. No one saw us!

So when Mick and I would go out to do sheep chores I would talk to him. He started talking back. It was cute for the first week. After that he was trained to talk to me every time we walked out to sheep.

Now he won't bark if we're somewhere serious but just doing chores he's all about telling me that we're going to sheep! I can tell him to quiet, so then he has this whisper bark but it's still barking.

It could be embarrassing but what the heck, neither of us are easily embarrassed so we talk when going to sheep!

I guess I should be grateful that no sheep are in the house! Although Dew is just a barky dog. She tries but they just slip out!

In CO I could go for days without seeing anyone so barking dogs were all I had to talk back to me. Who knew what I was setting us up for!

Shoshone sounds hilarious! :lol:

Our Miss Quirk made us laugh just about every day. In addition to barking upside down with her head covered, she had other 'tricks'. She re-arranged balls at the dog park, would only sleep on a perfectly flat blanket or dog bed, and kept a secret calendar, so she could get sick on the 4th of July, (two years in a row) and need to go the Emergency Vet. That was because my regular vet was familiar with her, and at the E-Vet, they couldn't stop saying how cute she was, and what a nice dog she was. Ha!

We lost her in August, to old age. As much as she made us tear our hair out, we miss her still.

Ruth

Our Miss Quirk made us laugh just about every day. In addition to barking upside down with her head covered, she had other 'tricks'. She re-arranged balls at the dog park, would only sleep on a perfectly flat blanket or dog bed, and kept a secret calendar, so she could get sick on the 4th of July, (two years in a row) and need to go the Emergency Vet. That was because my regular vet was familiar with her, and at the E-Vet, they couldn't stop saying how cute she was, and what a nice dog she was. Ha!

We lost her in August, to old age. As much as she made us tear our hair out, we miss her still.

Ruth

Awww, she sounds wonderful. I'm sorry you lost her :( That's never easy, but it sounds like she brought lots of joy and left you with good memories. What a sweet girl.

Maggie has found her voice...just in the last two weeks, she has started barking when she wants me to throw the ball (and I'm doing something else like watching TV or addressing Christmas cards). Her obedience instructor said ignore it...breeder said ignore it...I tried ignoring it, putting the ball away, telling her shush in a calm voice, doing a quick obedience lesson, etc....I finally decided enough...I got her by the scruff (gently---did not pick her up or anything harsh) and said QUIET...and then praised her for being quiet and waiting patiently for the ball...not another peep.

Maggie has found her voice...just in the last two weeks, she has started barking when she wants me to throw the ball (and I'm doing something else like watching TV or addressing Christmas cards). Her obedience instructor said ignore it...breeder said ignore it...I tried ignoring it, putting the ball away, telling her shush in a calm voice, doing a quick obedience lesson, etc....I finally decided enough...I got her by the scruff (gently---did not pick her up or anything harsh) and said QUIET...and then praised her for being quiet and waiting patiently for the ball...not another peep.

Robin weighs about fifty pounds now. His "scruffing" days are over -at least from me. :). He's really trying. Tonight he brought me the ball four times before he broke and barked. I told my husband, he'll get it soon -- maybe a month!

Liz

Archived