BC Boards

Major Landmark for Buddy

So, my reactive dog Buddy is about 8 - 9 years old now. The older he gets, the less interaction he wants with young, hyper dogs.

My sister's old, friendly dog (Buddy's companion, if not friend) died last summer. My sister brought home two 8-week-old puppies. Miniature American Eskimo dogs. (Cute little breed - like 12-lb, white BCs.) So, my constant concern has been Buddy's reacting to one of them with his typical reactive display: flipping them on their backs and then glaring at them menacingly to teach them a lesson. Or worse still - nipping and drawing blood on the snout of an overly-in-your-face tiny puppy. Needless to say, sisterly relations could be strained if we couldn't work this out, and our traditional walks in the woods would have to be curtailed.

I've been waiting and waiting - letting Buddy meet the puppies safely, though a fence, and walk next to them with air space, on leash. The pups are about 6 months old now, and today in a wide open space, seemed uninterested in Buddy and completely focused on sniffing and dogginess. So, we let one off the leash, then two, then Buddy, and... PEACE! The puppies frolicked, Buddy did his own thing. I went to give Buddy a cuddle and tell him what a good dog he was, and one of the puppies actually wormed her way between us and put her face up against Buddy, and no reaction at all.

I'm so proud of him, and so happy that in this one situation, I seemed to have managed the gradual introduction just right so my poor boy felt safe and peaceful and "family-like" to the little girls.

Mary

So, my reactive dog Buddy is about 8 - 9 years old now. The older he gets, the less interaction he wants with young, hyper dogs.

My sister's old, friendly dog (Buddy's companion, if not friend) died last summer. My sister brought home two 8-week-old puppies. Miniature American Eskimo dogs. (Cute little breed - like 12-lb, white BCs.) So, my constant concern has been Buddy's reacting to one of them with his typical reactive display: flipping them on their backs and then glaring at them menacingly to teach them a lesson. Or worse still - nipping and drawing blood on the snout of an overly-in-your-face tiny puppy. Needless to say, sisterly relations could be strained if we couldn't work this out, and our traditional walks in the woods would have to be curtailed.

I've been waiting and waiting - letting Buddy meet the puppies safely, though a fence, and walk next to them with air space, on leash. The pups are about 6 months old now, and today in a wide open space, seemed uninterested in Buddy and completely focused on sniffing and dogginess. So, we let one off the leash, then two, then Buddy, and... PEACE! The puppies frolicked, Buddy did his own thing. I went to give Buddy a cuddle and tell him what a good dog he was, and one of the puppies actually wormed her way between us and put her face up against Buddy, and no reaction at all.

I'm so proud of him, and so happy that in this one situation, I seemed to have managed the gradual introduction just right so my poor boy felt safe and peaceful and "family-like" to the little girls.

Mary

Wonderful!

that is great news!

sometimes i think dogs know who they MUST get along with. my bc nova does not particularly like other dogs, and will give a snarl and a snap if needed. but she seemed to know immediatly that she must get along with my mom's 2 little bitty dogs. never a problem with them-go figure.

Archived