BC Boards

What kind of collar do your dogs have?

I was wondering what kind of collars your dogs wear? With spring almost here I know most of us will have muddy, dirty dogs and I am looking for something durable, not just a nylon collar. I was looking at the Ezy Dog collars which are made with Neoprene. Any other suggestions for collars that dry quickly, do not get super stinky (like after creek and lake swims), and preferably have the plastic buckle closure? I am having a hard time finding what I am looking for online, the same basic collars keep popping up.

Thanks for any help!

this is the collar my dogs wear: http://www.gundogsupply.com/k9k-standard-transflex-groove-puppy.html. it comes in great colors and is indestructable. they also add a free id tag. what i like about it is it's riveted to the collar so it doesn't jangle. i don't write my address or the dogs name on it. simply: REWARD IF FOUND, then my home and cell numbers and hometown (just in case we're on vacation).

I use something very similar to Lisa's - you can also get them from Bill Boatman or other distributors (my last came from oakridge53@hotmail.com - Oak Ridge Pet ID Tags). I like the riveted tags, they hold plenty of info. The collars are easy to clean and durable. They are also not very expensive.

I like the center ring style as it's generally easier to attach a leash as the ring tends to stay on top of the neck. Also, they do not have quick release snaps so they are less likely to break at an inopportune time (but they also lack that as a safety factor, but the absence of dangling tags makes them safer as well).

We have lots of mud and manure on our farm - easy clean, durable collars are a must.

My favorite is the safety collars I found in Japan. I think they come from a company in GB. You can hook a leash onto them and the buckle will not break, however if the dog gets it caught when out it will break, and I have lost several of the collars on dogs when working, going through brush etc.

I simply wash the collars when I wash the dogs.

I admit I get bored with the same collar on my dog so I have several. I had hand-sewn cloth collars (in a cute frog fabric) when they were puppies, and then used the common nylon type collar with a plastic quick release 'snap' for a couple of years. (Don't ask me how, but one boarding kennel managed to ruin 2 of these collars by fastening them wrong. I had to cut the collar to get it off the dog, and then buy a new collar).

Now I have both of them in a collar I bought at the Sheepdog Nationals last September. This is the same collar mentioned by Sue R, and I like it for the same reasons she mentions - riveted name tag and a separate ring for attaching the leash. I also like the fact that it is very light and easily washed with any cleaning solution when the grime builds up. Also like the color selection.

Jovi

We use vinyl collars with D and O rings. They work very well for mud, rain and snow. They wash right off.

Otherwise we use spindrift, love them!

Mine wear collars from Gun Dog Supply as well. The ones I have are linked below.I would highly recommend them! :)

http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort-center-ring-w--dee-1--collar.html

These are the collars my dogs wear, except in the thinner 3/4" style. I love them. Easy to clean and durable. Come in colors. Free brass nameplate (up to 4 lines--plenty of space for information). They don't smell (unless the dog rolls in something nasty, of course!).

I also have the leather version of the center ring collars, and I really like their look, but even with regular oiling on my part they tend to rot and break because of the amount of time my dogs spend wet.

J.

Two years? The collars my dogs are wearing right now have got about four years (or more) on them, and they are in excellent condition. In spite of lots of wetness (and yearly trips to the beach with all that salt water exposure), they show almost insignificant levels of corrosion on the metal parts and no noticeable wear on the straps.

Of course, we all have our preferences!

I must have some very good luck with collars, knock wood! My first two dogs had the same rolled leather collars (typical Circle T found in many pet stores) for their lifetimes (one was almost 14 and I had the other for nearly 8 years). I stopped using them after the first two dogs, because the D-ring failed on two collars after that. Since then, I've used the Bill Boatman leather "Safety Collar with sliding buckle, no tongue" (p.43 of their current catalog, which is online). Comes with engraved name plate for $5.85. When they arrive I soak them in neatsfoot oil several hours, blot and press out as much oil as possible, and away we go. So far, so good. The collars get thoroughly wet when we work in soaking rain, when I rinse them down if muddy, and when they swim in the summer (I don't take them swimming as often as some folks here do). I don't even take them off when I occasionally bathe them. The oldest collar is about 5 years old and the leather feels reasonably supple. I may have oiled it one or two other times after purchase, but no more than that. Maybe their natural body/coat oil keeps the leather in good shape. And, I've never had issues with a stinky collar; perhaps that's more of an issue for fabric collars.

The Bill Boatman folks are super-nice, too. :)

ETA: I know you asked about plastic buckles, but I am not a fan of the quick-clip type plastic buckles. I have seen WAY too many of them pop open.

I use the hemp collars from EarthDog They are machine washable and last a really long time. I usually get at least 2 years out of them.

I liked the Earth Dog hemp collars, but the Boomerang tags I used at the time wore through the collar....

Megan,

My dogs are wet pretty much daily, so that might be the difference. They soak themselves in stock tanks, soak themselves in the creek (you get the picture), so their collars are as often wet as not. What usually happens with the leather collars is that they either fail at the D ring or where the nameplate was riveted on. I think the stinkiness issue goes hand-in-hand with the constantly wet issue.

It's a shame, because aesthetically I prefer leather, but I've gotten used to the K-9 Komfort collars from Gun Dog supply, and they are soft to the touch, which I like.

As for the plastic clips, I don't think they're very sturdy. I sometimes tie dogs out while I work a dog or similar, and I have seen the plastic clips fail on more than one occasion.

J.

I also use Earthdog hemp collars. Sugarfoot has worn hers for 2 years, and it is in great shape. (I have another one in reserve, as well as a regular leather buckle collar.) I use the Boomerang tags as well, no problem so far with them wearing through the collar, but mine is a city dog, and although she does get wet fairly often, I just take the collar off, roll it in a towel, squeeze it hard and then put it back on. It's usually dry by the time the dog is.

I have known plastic squeeze-release clasps to break on some dogs, but they were usually "hard chargers" that broke theirs while tethered. I don't ever tether Sugar because she's a bit of a spook, and tends to panic if she's out of the house and can't see me. However, If tethering were to become necessary I wouldn't trust the plastic closer either.

post-10533-054327000 1298748191_thumb.jpg

My dogs also wear collars from gun dog supply we have thesein black and brown. I like the black one better, as I think the brown looks too plasticky, we like the look of leather collars but with swimming most days in summer ( and often in salt water) they get very nasty. After a year they look a little scruffy but my dogs look scruffy most of the time . The main thing I do not like is that they are heavy, next time I would go for 3/4"

I like the Lupine collars. I sell them in my shop and if and when I need one on my dogs that's what I use. I have one martingale style with a sheep print (they no longer have that pattern) that is 11 years old and still in good shape. The rings are a bit rusty having been dunked everytime my dogs jump in the cool off tub. They also have a great guarantee on their stuff. Been selling them for 2 1/2 years and only had two returns. In both cases the dog chewed them.

I love the Dublin Dog collars. Up here in the Northwest we're constantly rained on so Brady's almost always wet and muddy in some form or other and his collar takes a beating. I just wipe it off when it gets gross and that's that. It's really sturdy too, and stylish. I think it cost me something like twenty bucks?

Is there any reason that no one else uses plain "choke" chain collars? I like that they can be bought large enough that a dog can back out of them if they get hung up but they can't if they're clipped to a leash. Indestructible and quick-drying. Riley spends more time wet than dry in the summer. If he's dry for any period of time for vanity's sake I'll throw on his Weaver lone star concho collar. http://www.kyhorse.com/store/dog/lone_star_legend.htm

I love the Dublin Dog collars. Up here in the Northwest we're constantly rained on so Brady's almost always wet and muddy in some form or other and his collar takes a beating. I just wipe it off when it gets gross and that's that. It's really sturdy too, and stylish. I think it cost me something like twenty bucks?

I have some Dublin Dog collars, and they are good quality. The one time I had one break (dog caught on a gate when running past), they replaced it no questions asked. They are easy to clean, smell free, and soft/flexible. But they are pricey. The reason I prefer the center-ring collars over the Dublin Dog collars is because I can easily clip a leash to a center ring one-handed, and here on the farm I really appreciate anything that allows one-handed operation!

Also, they are quite thick, which make adding any sort of nameplate/Boomerang tag tricky (I don't use hang tags). And I really liked them when they came in a 3/4" width. The 1" width is just too wide for my smaller dogs--the collars looked overwhelming on them.

J.

Riley dog, how does the dog back out if the slip part of the choke chain is what gets caught (the same principle that keeps a dog from backing out of the collar when a leash is attached)? I think martingale collars solve that issue as they can be adjusted so that they never get tight enough to actually choke, but I would never leave a choke chain on a dog running loose for fear that it could catch the loose ring on something, pull back trying to get free, and choke itself.

J.

Archived