BC Boards

What kind of collar do your dogs have?

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will order a collar from the Gun Dog site since so many recommend them.

I prefer the plastic buckle since it is a quick release if he were to ever get caught on something. I have seen two dogs playing and get caught on their collars and the "belt" kind can take a while to get off, meanwhile the one dog was choking.

I only use a collar on my dog for the purpose of holding tags so the thought of the buckle breaking loose is not really an issue. I use the Mendota slip lead as a leash so a leash is never attached to his collar. I love how easy it is to slip on and off and I know he can never back out of one (he sometimes stops on a walk if a big diesel truck goes by-we're still working on that fear). I have also known too many dogs who have slipped out of their collars, get lost, and are now without ID tags. I am surprised more people do not use slip leads, I had to order mine from LL Bean because no stores around me sold them.

I also have been looking at the Dublin Dog collars because I love the look. I was worried they too would look too bulky/thick and stiff on my guy. You say they are pretty flexible though? I wish I could find a retailer around here so I could look at one first since they are a bit pricey.

I also have been looking at the Dublin Dog collars because I love the look. I was worried they too would look too bulky/thick and stiff on my guy. You say they are pretty flexible though? I wish I could find a retailer around here so I could look at one first since they are a bit pricey.

They are quite flexible. I was never concerned about my dogs' comfort while wearing them. I just didn't like the width, and 1" is all they have available now. I still occasionally will put the ones I have on my one (bigger dog) if I want him to be festive (he has a snow-themed one and a clover-leaf design for St. Patty's day).

This isn't a great photo for this purpose, but in it you can see that the two dogs on the right are wearing Dublin Dog collars (Pip is in the cloverleaf one, and Phoebe is wearing the yellow daisies collar). You can also see how big and thick the collars are--notice how they stand out compared to the collars the other dogs are wearing, which you can't see.

Twistfamilyportrait_edited.jpg

J.

I'm in agreement that a dog should never wear a choke unless it is on lead. I have known 3 dogs killed by choke chains. One was in his crate and the "live" ring got snagged in the mesh of the door. He panicked and started spinning. Another dog was tethered inside a 6 foot fence, went over the fence and hung himself. The third was in the back of a pickup in cross-ties, managed to get over the side and hung himself.

I also heard about a free-running dog that jumped a wire fence, snagged the live ring of his choke at the top and it broke his neck when he hit the end of it.

I use a choke chain for the reason that my dog is apt to panic when she's out with me on the street. I put on the choke with the leash, and then hook the leash snap into the flat collar ring as well. If she should panic and slip her flat collar the choke will stop her from bolting. So far she's never slipped her flat collar, but it has happened in the past with other dogs. But she never has a choke on if I'm not holding a lead.

http://www.spiffydog.com/product.php?productid=16145&cat=252&page=1

I saw these when I was picking up dog food and bought a few. I really like them and they seem comfortable on the dogs. It's quite durable, and it dries fast, if your dogs swim. I guess I can't really talk on the "durability" end since my dogs don't really put a lot of stress on their collars.

My dogs are mostly wearing collars from the collar bin at work, of donated collars. We get way more collars donated than we can ever use, and we end up re-donating many of them to other organizations etc., so when we do a clean up I take some home. Piper is wearing a Kong brand nylon collar because it's hot pink; Dex is wearing a Lupine collar because it has a paw-and-crossbones design, and he's the devil; TWooie is wearing a hand-made martingale for sighthounds because he can pull his evil little head out of a regular buckle collar; Wootie is wearing some kind of padded nylon thing made by someone called "Ezydog" and Tweed is wearing a fabric one I picked because I like the pattern, but it doesn't have a brand name on it that I can see.

I'm not fussy about brands, but I do like pretty patterns. I will often put pink or purple collars on both Tweed and Dexter to drive my friends crazy about gender biases :) Because my dogs seem to find every rotting fish and dead animal on my property to roll in, I frequently toss the collars in the washer and dryer to deal with odours, and never had one fall apart on me yet!

RDM

Uh, RDM, I've nearly bought that paw-and-crossbones collar for Hoot several times... I don't think we should ever let the two of them get together. We might not live to see the end of it.

I love leather collars, and wish I could put them on my dogs, but out here, they just rot. I've had great luck with the Lupine collars.

I'd like the OP to know that this simple question has caused me to reconsider my dog's current collars and decided that I should get new ones for them. Which led to the question of which Lupine for which dog and if I really want another nylon or Lupine collar for Kipp or if a leather one would look better on him. And, if I'm ordering some new Lupines, do I want another key chain while I'm at it? and which one this time?

Ack! decisions, decisions...

Allie wears one of these:

9X30SD0green.jpg

but with white stitching. I'm often tempted to get her a prettier one, but if she ever got loose, there's no way anyone could catch her to read a hang-tag. This one is visible enough to give us a fighting chance. For walking, I use a martingale. She can slip out of a buckle collar or harness, and I've had two other dogs break a pinch collar.

I have some Dublin Dog collars, and they are good quality. The one time I had one break (dog caught on a gate when running past), they replaced it no questions asked. They are easy to clean, smell free, and soft/flexible. But they are pricey. The reason I prefer the center-ring collars over the Dublin Dog collars is because I can easily clip a leash to a center ring one-handed, and here on the farm I really appreciate anything that allows one-handed operation!

Also, they are quite thick, which make adding any sort of nameplate/Boomerang tag tricky (I don't use hang tags). And I really liked them when they came in a 3/4" width. The 1" width is just too wide for my smaller dogs--the collars looked overwhelming on them.

J.

That's probably my only complaint about them: their thickness. It would be nice if they were a little bit thinner so I could actually use a name plate instead of the regular tags (I like how the nameplates hold more information and are more stable). But it's lived up to its worth so far--no stinky smells, and I love, love how easy it is to clean. I just wipe it off when he gets a rare bath or if it gets too muddy. Which is especially nice on a day like today: torrential rain and massive mud puddles he likes to attack, lol.

They're super flexible, especially once they've been worn for a bit, and there's no skin pinching or fur grabbing. =D

ETA:

A picture of Brady and his Dublin. It's a little hard to see because of that mane of fur he's growing out, but it's peeking out!

183038_1718627299806_1661983729_1570419_7567341_n.jpg

Allie wears one of these:

9X30SD0green.jpg

Wick and Lou wear pretty much what Allie does, except Wick's is a martingale. I find tags hard to read, and if my dogs were lost, I figure having a nice big name and phone number right on the collar should make it easy for the finder to get a hold of me.

Rex wears a stylin' leather collar with little gold stars that I bought him at the Calgary Stampede last year. I've been meaning to get him a personalized nylon collar like the others, but he is just so darn cute in Western wear!

For those who have collars that routinely get wet, you may be interested in the type of collar my dog Luke has -- It's the cinch-it collar by PetSafe:

http://www.petsafe.net/Products/Specialty-Collars/cinch-it/cinch-it-dog-collar-by-PetSafe1.aspx

cinch-it_colors.jpg

We won it in a Facebook promotional contest, but I really like it! It goes on and off so quickly that I found it great to use at agility trials.

Secret has a sparkly pink bling-bling collar. :D

0118011612.jpg

Archived