BC Boards

Depressing Vet Visit

Buddy's fine and healthy and all, but, as we were checking out and waiting for the paperwork to print, a man came in and told the receptionist, "I need to put my dogs to sleep."

Older dog was nine and had hip problems - one operation already, and I guess needing another. Other dog? Five years old. Guy was going to New York to work for a month, so decided to put both dogs to sleep.

Depressing.

Mary

Don't worry. He can get a couple more dogs when he comes back. :rolleyes:

About a year ago there was a case down in Columbus of either a cop or a firefighter who was getting ready to go on a cruise with his girlfriend, and so he wouldn't have to worry about his two dogs, he took them in the basement and shot them. But don't worry. He probably has a couple more dogs as we speak. :D

Buddy's fine and healthy and all, but, as we were checking out and waiting for the paperwork to print, a man came in and told the receptionist, "I need to put my dogs to sleep."

Older dog was nine and had hip problems - one operation already, and I guess needing another. Other dog? Five years old. Guy was going to New York to work for a month, so decided to put both dogs to sleep.

Depressing.

Mary

What a creep! I could almost understand the older dog with hip problems if he was in a great deal of pain because anthesesia can be hard on older dogs (my niece just lost her older collie that way) but the younger one...no way!

The vet must feel terrible too - if he's anything like the ones around here. Our Scotty was taken to the vet to be put down because of his behavior problems and the vet called BC rescue. He was a fine dog for us. He'll be gone a year tomorrow...I miss him terribly. I don't understand how people could part with a pet like that.

Liz

Don't worry. He can get a couple more dogs when he comes back. :rolleyes:

About a year ago there was a case down in Columbus of either a cop or a firefighter who was getting ready to go on a cruise with his girlfriend, and so he wouldn't have to worry about his two dogs, he took them in the basement and shot them. But don't worry. He probably has a couple more dogs as we speak. :D

If I were the girlfriend, I'd be just a wee bit concerned that the guy at some point might no longer want to worry about me....

Did the vet do it? At my former job, we refused to do convenience euthanasias.

Nice to hear that, I was wondering the same thing. If I were the vet or vet office, I'd take them in to custody and find fosters or rescue for them. Such a sad thing to think about.

I worked in a vets affice years ago when a woman came in wanting to euth her cat because he didnt walk right. The girls there swarmed all over the vet and convinced him not to do it. The woman wanted just to leave the cat , didnt want to be with the cat , so she just payed and left.

The vet said he didnt want to know who took the cat or anything else after he examined him , found basically nothing wrong that needed fixing , or casued him pain. Just a abnormality that he was born with and adjusted himself to. Guessing woman didnt like him walking with a slight limp. :rolleyes:

The funny part of this story is the woman came in a year later with her dog for a check up and saw her cat sitting on the receptionists desk ! She claimed she had a cat that looked just like him but she said she had it put down because of a bad leg injury. The receptionist (who was new) started to talk about "Guido" and how he came to be a hospital cat . The techs came into the room and hushed her up right away. LOL...Poor Guido didnt get along with the techs other cats and came to live at the vets office . Guido never went up to the front offices but made a exception that day. The vet almost passed out when he was told what had happened on his day off. LOL..He could have been brought up on serious charges if the woman recognized the cat as hers . Luckily that never happened.

The cat lived a happy , healthy life and died of old age. The vet retired and took Guido the cat home wiht him. :D

The vet almost passed out when he was told what had happened on his day off. LOL..He could have been brought up on serious charges if the woman recognized the cat as hers . Luckily that never happened.

What kind of charges? Did she pay to have the cat put down, so it might be considered fraud?

Major's story is similar, but has a slightly different twist. The twist is that the vet himself wanted to do the convenience euthanasia but thanks to his staff, who got on the phone and started making phone calls, they found a place for Maj and got him out on a Friday. Euth day was on the following Monday.

Major was a GSD from a well-known kennel on the west coast. He was bought as a pup by a woman who subsequently got divorced and moved back to Ohio. Her adult son and GF moved in with her. The son sounds like he was a couple of fries short of a happy meal, because entertainment for him after a few drinks was to torment Maj, who was still a pup. The owner thought that the best thing to do under the circumstances was to place the dog so she talked to her vet. I'm not clear on the story behind Maj's papers, but the vet said he'd take the dog and once he got the papers, the dog would be a lot more valuable for whatever intention the vet had for him -- show dog, stud, I don't know. I do know after months of trying, he couldn't get Maj's papers. In the meantime, Maj, during these formative, critical months of mental and physical development, lived in a cage in the vet's office. It was the staff who provided the interaction and whatever exercise they could give him.

When it became clear to the vet that he might never be able to get Maj's papers, his solution was the pink juice. A dog without papers isn't worth anything, right? Some of the staff were pretty horrified and they got Maj out of there, of course with the vet's permission. I guess you have to give him that much, but how's that for a convenience euthanasia story? A couple of months after being saved from the juice, Maj went to live with my daughter in Manhattan. When she went on to NYU, she couldn't afford to keep him and the Maj came to me. Although he was a bit neurotic throughout his entire life, he still had the soul, the devotion of a GSD and when he was about 8 yrs. old, he developed a brain tumor. I held him as he died at the vet's office, this time for a legitimate reason. Papers wouldn't have made him a better dog. Maj was a good dog on his own merit.

Here's Major's link on Dogster: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/26879

(haven't been on there in ages)

ETA - Maj's Dogster page is correct. I got some of the minor details wrong, but generally, it spells the same story.

The plain truth is -- some people suck. Fortunately, there are others who don't.

Not too long ago, Western Border Collie Rescue got a call from a veterinary office about a "16 year old BC" that a woman brought in to be euth'd because he was "old and deaf" and she was moving. The wonderful veterinary staff felt terrible about this because there was nothing really wrong with the old guy and he seemed pretty nice, friendly and spry to them and contacted WBCR. He was pretty skinny and does have some hind end stiffness and is also partially deaf, but he is a loving boy with lots of love and life still in him (the vet thinks he's probably closer to 10 years old rather than the 16 that the woman was claiming). Best of all, just yesterday this sweet ol' boy just got himself a wonderful new home and family to love him for the rest of his days. :rolleyes:

Many kudos to veterinary folks who care enough to help out animals who might be put down for convenience sake only.

OK so if people want to kill there dogs and cats out of convenience why don't we just do the same to them.

I don't understand why some people have pets. I met an elderly couple yesterday with a 4mo old lab they hadn't even started training yet. They were waiting until he was old enough. In the meantime they have an active out of control puppy that could be a danger to both of them and as we stood there talking the pup was constantly pulling on his lead. I tried to show them how to make him sit and calm down but the husband just wanted to get the pup inside away from my dogs (who were doing nothing). The wife wanted to listen but hubby wouldn't let her. I feel sorry for that dog. I feel sorry for a lot of dogs that are in homes where they shouldn't be.

I met an elderly couple yesterday with a 4mo old lab ... I feel sorry for that dog. I feel sorry for a lot of dogs that are in homes where they shouldn't be.

I see this all the time; age doesn't matter here, young people can be equally clueless. At the dog park, I have been asked by multiple people if could "take their dog for a couple of weeks, and return him trained". This is the age of instant everything, but the "just add water and stir" approach doesn't work for dogs of any sort. How do you tell these folks that they have to do some basic training to get good manners?

Depressing.

Mary

I don't think my vet would even do that. I have seen him take possession of animals and then find homes for them. He does that a lot. The owners just have to sign the dogs or cats over to him. That is how I got two of my rescue border collies. Bandit was about 5 I think and the owners just brought him in to have him put down because he was destructive. And Ellie had been hit by a truck. My vet did the operation on her hip for free.

What kind of charges? Did she pay to have the cat put down, so it might be considered fraud?

Would have been if she actually recognized her own cat , which she didnt. She was actually credited the amount of the euth on her dogs record . I think they made it look like a over charge somehow. Not that it makes it ok , but I guess it somehow made the vet feel better to do that. You know when you get that "feeling" to make yourself "busy" so as not to be noticed ? Well , thats what I did at that moment. I was new to that office , so I made myself "busy" and hard of hearing. :rolleyes: But I was happy to see the cat get a home and not be euthed.

I rescued one of my dogs years ago almost the same way. I was standing in the vets office , paying a bill , and a older woman walked in with her dog , very upset and asked if they do euths. The recept. asked why and the woman began to tell her that she was diagnosed with terminal cancer and was going into the hospital next week.She knew she wasnt coming home again and didnt want her elderly dog to suffer in any way. The dog was old and only knew her . The lady didnt have any relatives or family that would take her , so she thought the best thing was to put her down instead of handing her over to a shelter where unspeakable things may happen to her .

By that time , my vet made a appearance and said he wouldnt put a healthy dog down but would take the dog and find a home. If that wasnt possible , he would keep the dog himself .

I opened my mouth of course and said that I would help look for a home for her Toby. Well , I eventually adopted her . Toby was 13 years when she joined my household . No major problems other then a slight heart murmur and maybe a couple of pounds extra. I told the woman that "when" things got better for her , she could come and visit or take Toby home at anytime . She was so very relieved that she cried ,I cried , but I never heard form her again.

My vet gave me free vet care for her for as long as she lived. He was and still is a great vet and a even better human being.

Toby was a corgi mix , not over 20 pounds and so, so cute and loving . She had no idea what a toy was , or what to do with one. When I would get her excited , she would run the other way , happy as a clam , but forgetting what she was so happy about ,she would go lay down somewhere and sleep.

Toby got along well with my other dogs , who were a maltese and a pug . They were all about the same size too , so they ended up being called the three stooges. The only problem , Toby only understood Spanish. I only knew a few words here and there , but we communicated well and understood each other somehow. All I did was open the sliding door and point , Toby would run outside to the deck, turn around with what looked like a big smile and then took off down the deck on those tiny, short legs , where she would find a place to relieve herself.

Toby lived another 5 years . She was a joy to have and I was very glad I was able to give her prior owner peace of mind that her beloved Toby was in a safe , loving home that would cherish her .

Some euths arent all for convienance but sometimes an owners only way of "saving" their loved pet from harm.

Some euths arent all for convienance but sometimes an owners only way of "saving" their loved pet from harm.

Yes that is sad. My older ACD would have to go like that if something happened to me and my mother wasnt around. She is totally focussed and bonded to me and even when I leave her with mum who she loves, she will station herself by the front door and will wait for days, taking no notice of anyone or anything else. She has absolutely no interest in anyone else. When she stays with mum she says it breaks her heart to see my girl waiting so patiently at the door for me to return, alert to any sound that means I may be returning.

My sister is a vet and her cats have always been rescued from the euth at the surgery and fixed up by her. Same with a young GSD she ended up with whose owners didnt want a dog with an amputated leg. It is hard to fathom sometimes.

Archived