BC Boards

Needs some ideas for training newly rescued dog

I just rescued a border collie from a local shelter after his owners brought him there because he kept chasing cows (imagine that). I do not have livestock and nothing for him to work but I need to find some activities for him that we can do indoors for the time being (currently no fence as I didn't anticipate getting another dog so soon fence is a couple months down the road when the weather cooperates) Hes a very smart boy and only 2 years old i think he will be a very fast learner but I have never had a dog that was so work oriented before so I need some ideas of activities to start him on.

Check out the search function on the board - use terms like "sports", "activities", "training", and I'm sure you'll come up with tons of stuff. The archives are a great resource as are the FAQs to get started.

If you can give us some more specifics about what you're currently doing w/ him and what he knows already, that would give people a better place to start w/ suggestions as well.

Welcome to the boards!

One of my favorite games is frisbee, and my dogs agree!!

It's convenient, a great toy to use as a reward too. I can pretty much play with my dogs any where, so that's always good.

Let me know if you'd like some suggestions of how to teach your pup to play it!

Work his mind, training obedience, teach him tricks, teach him the names of his toys and play hide and seek. Anything to work that smart mind. I'm sure he would be game for just about anything you come up with.

THANKS FOR RESCUING!!

I'm finding with my new rescue that working some very basic things is useful. Sit and wait before going out a door (I don't require it every time, but he is learning to do so when I ask him to), lie quietly at my feet for a short period of time, jump up on cue and get off on cue. Also, sit at my side and sit and don't move.

I wanted to jump in full speed ahead with him on a lot of fancy stuff, but I found that he was more successful with the basics at first. He's just starting some tricks and games now that he has settled in a bit.

It was already mentioned once, but I really like playing hide and seek with my rescue. I had to teach her a new recall, because she new she didn't have to come to "come". So now I use the word "here". When we play hide and seek, I really reinforce it with treats when she finds me. She loves playing and now has a great recall.

Amanda: Go to Youtube and check out some of the agility videos. There are several where people have set up simple obstacles in their homes.

When the weather is bad and I don't go out and play frisbee, I have used a couple of brooms and a hulahoop for an agility course. I know it sounds dorky. I set up a couple of jumps with the broom sticks and tie the hulahoop to a couple of vacuum cleaners. I use "over" for the broom sticks and "through" for the hulahoop. This will work off some energy.

What you can do with a Border Collie is left strictly up to your imagination.

We also just rescued a bc mix from a shelter after losing our 10 year old BC to strichnine poisoning (put out by someone to kill jackrabbits!) This rescue is the sweetest puppy, 8-9 months old. He was given up because he was "destructive". He did chew my vacuum cord the first day but readily accepted a substitute chew toy. He's so obedient I almost wonder if he's really BC! I'm so happy we found him!

I agree with those who say to start with the basics, establish a routine, and just get used to each other. It's essential for all dogs, but I think it's especially essential for rescues who aren't sure what's going to happen next, you know? It probably took Jacko a good 6 months to really settle in and trust us and be secure that he wasn't going to get sent away again.

That said, once you've done a lot of work on the basic commands, a good indoor game is "hide your eyes." Jacko goes in the laundry room, we shut the door and then hide his tire (favorite toy). You could do it with treats as well. Then we open the door and tell him to "find _______." He LOVES it and is really good at it.

Another thing I'd suggest is to implement NILIF (nothing in life is free) now. It helped with our training so much, and now as soon as he sees a leash come out he sits, or if he sees us grab the cup we use to feed him, he runs to lie down on his bed. He knows the rules and routines, and he thrives with that.

Good luck, and thank you for rescuing!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Rufus is doing really well at learning the basics, he has mastered sit and has just about got the hang of "Away" when I dont want him to get too close to the door before i open it. I cant seem to find any toys that he is interested in yet, sqeaky doesnt appeal to him neither does soft and chewy but hopefully I will find something that tickles his fancy soon.

Originally posted by Amanda Lynn:

I cant seem to find any toys that he is interested in yet, sqeaky doesnt appeal to him neither does soft and chewy but hopefully I will find something that tickles his fancy soon.

Take him to Petsmart or Petco and let HIM choose a toy. You might be surprised of his choices!

I agree with everyone, let him settle in. When I got mine 7 weeks ago (also around two years old) it took him a good month to finally settle in and feel at home. He didn't like sqeaky toys, soft toys, or ever the tennis ball! But now he loves them all. I just took it slow and let him figure out that playing is ok.

With the toys try moving them side to side until his eyes follow it, then throw it a short way. That's how I taught Black Jack to play ball, and play with the soft toys too.

I would try the Kong frisbee from PetCo (Petsmart might have it too but I don't know) it's great because it's really hard to chew it up, and he loves chewing on it since it's soft. Have fun.

Oh I forgot, stick with baisc training at first. I'm still working on "sit", "down", and "stay" just to renforce it, even though he already knows some of it. Now I'm going on to more fun tricks like beg, and shake.