BC Boards

Michael Vick nominated by his teammates

Sue R

Michael Vick's teammates have nominated him for this award. The Ed Block Courage Foundation Award seems like a very admirable project. From their website:

The Ed Block Courage Award Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of neglected children and ending the cycle of abuse. The purpose is to raise Awareness and Prevention of child abuse. That objective is coupled with the Foundation's commitment to celebrating players of inspiration in the NFL.

Since its inception the Foundation through its charter with the Courage House National Support Network for Kids, and an affiliation with the National Football League and Professional Football Athletics Trainers Society has helped to provide hope to countless children and raised millions of dollars.

We raise public awareness and support child abuse prevention with our radio public service announcements. Our relationship with the Courage House Network, NFL Teams, NFL Network and other national media outlets spread our message to viewers all over the country. Our Internet and print media spread our mission even further.

Does Michael Vick seem to be the kind of person you would hold up as a role model on the abuse front? Not me, although I sincerely hope he has truly turned his life around and grown to despise abuse in any form.

Does Michael Vick seem to be the kind of person you would hold up as a role model on the abuse front?

I understand what you're getting at, but dog abuse is a far cry from child abuse. If using his name and his person draws attention to their cause and raises money, that's great. Even if this were an animal abuse campaign, and he was able to raise money for a good cause, kudos. That's what he should be doing in the wake of the horrific nature of the crime.

Do I think he should be in the public eye? No, but he is. Do I think he should be a hero to kids around the world? No, but in a sense, he is. So any good that can come of it is a plus. He's not going anywhere any time soon. He's a talented football player and that's all the NFL really cares about.

Oh, please. :rolleyes:

Gag me with a spoon. This guy should fall off the face of the earth and never be heard from again. He should still be in jail and never allowed to play organized sports again.

• 3 weeks later...
I understand what you're getting at, but dog abuse is a far cry from child abuse. If using his name and his person draws attention to their cause and raises money, that's great. Even if this were an animal abuse campaign, and he was able to raise money for a good cause, kudos. That's what he should be doing in the wake of the horrific nature of the crime.

Do I think he should be in the public eye? No, but he is. Do I think he should be a hero to kids around the world? No, but in a sense, he is. So any good that can come of it is a plus. He's not going anywhere any time soon. He's a talented football player and that's all the NFL really cares about.

I respectfully must say... no...it's not. Children who abuse animals grow up to abuse people. Animals are smaller and easier targets for "beginners".

I don't like what the guy did...but I will offer forgiveness if he shows repentance.

No, hypocricy is when a person says something first and then the behavior that follows is contradictory. Here we have a person who did something wrong first and now is doing/saying something right. It's only hypocritical if he "goes back to his old ways."

Kim

No, hypocricy is when a person says something first and then the behavior that follows is contradictory. Here we have a person who did something wrong first and now is doing/saying something right. It's only hypocritical if he "goes back to his old ways."

Kim

I am glad that he is trying to do something positive, even if it is self-serving in some ways, it is accomplishing a positive result. I am also happy that he isn't tying his name to any humane organization, not that they would probably have him. I think that would be insulting to the dogs he injured and abused, plus might turn off people from donating to those organizations.

While I'm skeptical of MV's sincerity (read that as "I'll do anything they ask me to. Just don't take away the big bucks NFL pays me), I feel he deserves a second chance and who knows. He might have had a sincere change of heart, but I don't know, so I'll just remain skeptical.

I agree with Mike and Mike (Golic and Greenburg, that is - not Vick!).

From the linked article

The Ed Block Award honors players who exemplify commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. Each of the 32 NFL teams selects a recipient.

"I've overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can handle or bear," Vick said. "You ask certain people to walk through my shoes, they probably couldn't do. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I put myself in and decisions I have made, whether they have been good or bad.

Oh, please. :rolleyes: I nominate Vick for the Great Blockhead award, as one who is apparently so absorbed with himself that he couldn't soak up anything else. Like humility, perspective, or - grammar.

What Vick did was wrong, wrong, wrong.

But I find it interesting that you posted the quote, above, rather than another from the same article:

"It was a big obstacle proving I'm worthy of a second chance," Vick said. "It doesn't stop here. I have to continue to prove that. I think it's not going to be a day-to-day process, it's going to be a year-in, year-out process. It's a challenge to myself. The thing I told Roger is that four or five years from now, I'm going to come to him and say, 'Everything I told you I was going to do, I'm still doing it.' And that's what I pride myself on and that's my focus and that's my goal."

I sincerely hope he will be successful.

Kim

What Vick did was wrong, wrong, wrong.

But I find it interesting that you posted the quote, above, rather than another from the same article:

I sincerely hope he will be successful.

Kim

I'm all for second chances. Vick's done his time and, since he's not in a profession that bars convicted felons from participating, it's fine with me if he plays football.

But seriously - Mike Vick has overcome more than any other single individual could possibly bear? I think he needs to get over himself.

I think this was a clumsy attempt by the Eagles to further rehab Vick's image, and it backfired. Partly because they didn't put a muzzle on the self-aggrandizing Mr. Vick. :rolleyes:

Guest echoica
While I'm skeptical of MV's sincerity (read that as "I'll do anything they ask me to. Just don't take away the big bucks NFL pays me), I feel he deserves a second chance and who knows. He might have had a sincere change of heart, but I don't know, so I'll just remain skeptical.

My thoughts exactly