BC Boards

OT... Ernesto???

How is everyone fairing with this storm? We are getting lots of rain and waaaaaaaay to much wind for my comfort. I'm not worried about flooding in our location, but we are literally surrounded by alot of very big and beautiful Oak trees, that are doing a lot of bending and swaying (hope they keep bending and swaying!!!).

We have alot of big branches flying off and the dogs are acting like we are being invaded! LOL!

Everytime a branch hits the deck or roof, Phoenix is out to save the day!!! The 2 older girls look at him and just lay there with their ears back and the whites of their eyes showing.

Phoenix....HUH! he aint letting some tropical storm stop him. He grabs his frisbee, runs out the doggy door and does his BC crouch, waiting for someone....anyone.... to come out and play. It is so dark out and raining so hard that if he didn't have that beautiful white chest and feet I wouldn't be able to even spot him! Silly BC! I have gone out and "weathered", the storm a couple of times to throw his frisbee, but dern... it's wet, windy and very cool and I feel like I should have on a hard hat...!

:eek:

LOL your beginning paragraph reminds me of that Tanya Tucker song Strong Enough To Bend lol... That song came out like when I was born but I still remember listening to it when I grew up lol.

I love storms, I hate tornado's. I want to be in a hurricane. NOT KATRINA or anything even remotely similar to that. Like a level 1 would be just great lol. Even a tropical storm, I used to live in Missouri, and got some awesome storms there. Unfortunately a lot of tornadoes too :rolleyes: Now I live in Idaho and the worst I get is a dust storm lol. Although Im sure I'd be scared and end up crying before its over and hate them as much as I hate tornadoes.

You're in my prayers, I hope your trees are strong and dont break. Keep my BC's of yours safe Im glad you're doin ok and flooding isnt a concern.

Joe Anne, we escaped with lots of rain and some wind. The eastern part of NC will probably have more flooding in the next day or two.

After the storm, be very careful when you go out in your yard. Those oaks will probably have big broken limbs hanging in them. They are called "widow-makers" and for a good reason! The next time you have some wind, they may come crashing down and you don't want to be under them! Call an arborist and get your trees evaluated if you are concerned about any damage.

Zookie, hurricanes are awful! We experienced Hurricane Fran in September of 1996 and we were not even in the direct path. The wind lasts so long and is so loud and there is lots of thunder and lightning. Our family of four had to sleep in our little hall with a nervous dog and pacing cat. The power went out, so there was no air conditioning, everything in the freezer melted and spoiled, no hot water, no hair dryer! A section of the NC mountains got 11 inches of rain in 3 hours during Fran's visit!

People around here still talk about Hurricane Hugo which hit in 1989. Hugo came ashore in Charleston and roared up through Charlotte. My parents were without power for a long time and their street had so many trees and powerlines down that the National Guard had to clear it!

Zookie, take my word for it, you do not want to experience a real hurricane.

Heavy soaking rains that melt the ground. Then furious winds. And more rain. Day is bad enough. But night when you wake from the wind and watch the trees swing side to side. Hours on end. And you just wonder what root pancake will be the first to slip, and whether each 100-foot pine will fall away or onto the house. At least those are straight lines. The oaks and such are shorter but spread far wider destruction.

And,, of course, the power goes out - for days. Ice storms do the same. But you can put the food out in the snow and ice. You can add more layers of clothes. And you can light a fire in the fireplace. But when those hurricanes like to hit, you can't save your food, you can't take off any more clothes, and you can't deal with the heat and humidity that always follow.

And, even where the storm doesn't hit, the flooding from where it did deluges whole towns. All the places upstream save their areas by sending more water downstream. And don't even mention all the hog lagoons that overflow into the municipal water supplies.

No, you don't want to be in a hurricane. Trust me. Been there; done that; burned the T-shirt.

Smileyzookie, Thanks for the well wishes, I too hope my trees are strong enough to withstand this wind. It's 11 pm now, and I can't really see the trees swaying, but I can hear the wind gusts, and everytime, I get an adrenaline rush and the dogs are very alert. I don't know how much sleep we will all get tonight. Never know when that mighty oak will be sharing my bed! The dogs seem to have gotten used to hearing the wind and are not quiet as anxious, but the ears still go back and eyes get big. My tv is out so I can't get any real news as to what is going on. My brother in law has a "weather alert" radio, and calls me if tornado warnings are in my area. So far no tornados!! My hubby gets off work at midnight and has to drive home, in this mess... but hopefully it will be calmed down by then, and all he will have to do is dodge trees in the road. I love summer "garden variety", thunderstorms too and I love the wind, but this is more than I care to experience, here anyway.

Jack, glad you didn't have any real problems. I just got back from Nagshead Tuesday evening. Wow, talk about timing it just right. Saw Nagshead on the news earlier, and streets were flooded. I remember (I think it was Fran), tore shingles off our roof and it rained in the attic. We didn't realize the extent of the damage until, our kitchen ceiling fan, started leaking! NOT GOOD. We had to climb into the attic and try to soak up the water. My daughter was in the attic, and my 2 yr old grandson and I were in the kitchen, when her foot slipped and she darn near came crashing through the ceiling and onto my glass dining table. My little grandson, looks up and says..."look, Mommy is in the sky!" From the mouths of babes!!!

Hear in Maryland, we are located about 3 miles (as the crow flies) from the Wicomico River, about 10 mi. from the Chesapeake and about 20 mi. from the Potomac. So we are real close to coast lines, but luckily we are located in a higher area. We do have areas of flashflooding just down the street, but we have lived here since 1987 and the only flooding we get is our gravel driveway and backyard, but never enough to come into the house (thank God and knock on "dry" wood!)

Anyway, so far so good... and this is just a tropical depression... :eek:

Nancy, I have been in ice storms. Those are scary as well, just silence and all we could hear was the cracking of all the branches. One tree actually near totalled my moms car. THAT was scary. If you relate hurricanes to that, you're probably right I dont want to be in one. I like storms, lightening and thunder... I dont get those here in Idaho like in Missouri. I think thats what I miss.

Keep us updated how you guys are doing, I hope you never have to find out about your oak sharing your bed.

once we lived for a week with a boat tied to our front door step from the flooding. we used it to ferry people from the subdivision behind us which had flooded back to check on their homes.that was a small bass boat with a trolling motor.

my son who had a tri-hull and a breakaway trailer launched his boat right in front of our house. we went ride thru the subdivision in the boat.

and the rubberneckers are really bad. they come thru in their cars and make waves that push water into otherwise unflooded homes. dh parked his truck across the road so noone could pass. made a few people mad.

no a hurricane is no fun. i have been in a few.

We sat through Hurricane Charlie. That was really, really scary. We were thankful that it didn't came directly where we live. I swear I could feel the walls of the house moving in and out. (Almost like it was breathing.)

It did hit the town where I work which is about 25 miles from my house. It was very difficult, emotionally, to drive on a daily basis past people homes (or what was left of them) and see their belongings-life- on the curb as trash. It makes a person feel so helpless seeing scenes like that.

I don't ever want to go through anything like that again and I wasn't even one of the unfortunate people that lost everthing.

We still live in Florida and every year when hurricane season starts, we say our prayers, batton down the hatches and hope that we don't get hit with "the big one". Unless we move (which is not a possiblity) that is all we can do. We have a few more months in this year's season, so we shall see how things go.

Hurricanes are not fun!

Zookie, I can't stand ice storms either. You were right about the awful silence which would be broken by the crashing of limbs or even trees. We had 14 trees damaged when we had our last ice storm several years ago. My driveway is steep, so when it was iced over, I was scared to try to get my newspaper. My second son offered to get it.....but it would cost me $5.00! I paid it too!

Well all is well here. No downed trees, just alot of branches, some pretty big. My neighbor did lose a big tree in their front yard. I am thinking because it stood alone. My house was built smack dab in the middle of the woods, with as few trees removed by the original owners as possible. That was one of the main reasons I picked this house. You can't even see us in the summer from the road. Maybe all the trees together help break the wind a bit. I dunno, I just know, we did ok, and I am thankful that this was "just", a tropical depression, by the time it reached us. Whew!!!

:eek:

Then again, what about those forest fires in Idaho? My nephew was out there on a Type 1 crew. That's his dangerous summer job. His safe winter one is avalanche work in Utah.

Seems to me that the only places in the world with safe weather are prone to really dangerous politics.

The forest fires are very dangerous. A fire wiped out an entire town less than 5 minutes from here last month. It was scary. My husband is an assistant manager at walmart and he said it was unbelieveable what these people had to do to stay safe. They let all their livestock go so they could survive.. I cant imagine the amount of money people lost in that, houses, vehicles and whatever else.. yikes.

Firefighting is so dang dangerous, I admire anyone brave enough to fight something like that. Avalanches arent extremely common here but we get 1 or 2 about an hour away in Pine a year. Well I guess a year there were a few last year. Jodi could probably correct me on that.

Glad to hear you are safe and everything is ok. I was thinking about you.

Joe Anne -- glad to hear that your trees stayed up and that you are OK. My wife has two sisters whose houses are in Lexington Park, MD, just a short distance from the Pax River NAS. Both those houses lost electric power on Friday afternoon and as of 10PM Saturday they still did not have power restored. They got about 7 inches of rain at their location and there were a lot of trees down in the area.

TV news reports said Virginia Beach got 10 inches of rain. So it sounds like the worst of the storm was tracking out closer to the Atlantic coast.

Here in northern MD I think we got about three inches of rain over a 36 hour period. It was just a steady rain, never really hard, and the wind didn't blow over about 20 mph. I don't know where the strong winds from St. Mary's County went, but it wasn't here. Suits me just fine. Our electric power was down for 2.5 hours on Friday evening. The wind wasn't blowing much at all when that happened so I don't know the cause. Any tree that went down from the wind at that time must have been on its last legs anyway.

Personally, I was hoping for more rain. We didn't get anything!!!! (Central Florida West Coast)

It is sort of funny though, all the stations said "no need to worry, but get atleast 7 days worth of water..." Usual precautions, no one flinced! lol We are Floridians, unless we have a Cat. 3 or more aiming for us, we aren't worried!

I have a great picture I will put up, it was the sky before the hurricane. Beautiful. I impressed myself! lol

Glad to hear everyone is ok! We have had a great season so far! I am headed on a cruise next week, lets hope the tropics stay calm.

Of course this is my first year here, but I'm pretty sure that it is until the end of October, but that doesn't mean mother nature doesn't have a mind of her own. So far this is a rather (oddly) calm season and I can only imagine that it won't last.. as we also got lucky last year (minus Wilma that hit in Sept) As far as temps go, I'd say if it's the end of November, highs in the mid 70's, but if it's early Nov, it could still be as warm as 80, although the nights do get a little chilly...55-60.......what part of Florida makes a little difference too, i.e, if you're going to one of our coasts or not.

I'd like to thank Karen Lacy for having the good sense to postpone their trial for this weekend, even when it was days from coming through. On the East Coast, we sit through these predictions not knowing if it's going to be a big deal or not til it gets closer, and this one was a major nuisance more than anything, lots of rain (eight inches in our gauge) and wind. Our area had lots of tree damage, minor flooding and power outages. Our power was out for a full two days, just got it back sometime yesterday afternoon. The biggest complication of that is no water, but we had a two day supply for the 14 horses, two sheep, nine dogs and eight cats (and two humans), so while we were getting antsy about having to make water tanks runs to town today, it never happened.

The trial would have been a hassle with all that going on, not sure if Karen and Tom had power or not, need to call her. They have more heads to water than us!

I had to go to FL after Charlie and Co., to Sanibel Island to see to my ailing father, and I was awestruck at the destruction from Tampa on down to Captiva. I'll never gripe about what we have here in VA, ya'll are mighty brave to be down there.

Thanks Tiffany and Jack. Whenever I see on the news that a hurricane has hit somewhere it makes me feel for the people that are being hit. I can't even imagine. i've been through ice storms and some pretty crazy winter storms and I know how scary those are.

I'll be in Florida the beginning of November. Here's where I'm going: Nov 3-4 Clearwater FL, Nov 6 Coral Springs FL, Nov 9-10 Sarasota FL, Nov 11-14 West Palm Beach FL. I'm not too familiar with Florida, but I'm pretty sure some of those places are on the coast.

We made out pretty well here. I had to run the mail route through the storm though. NOT FUN! :eek: But it could have been worse. Most of the day the wind was blowing against the other side of the car instead of smacking me in the face. Not to say that it wasnt smacking me in the face. . it was, just not the entire day. I spent most of my day moving debri out of the road and trying to find ways around downed trees. We were out of power for about 24hrs. We needed the rain though. I just wish the water hadnt driven all those ants in to my kitchen. :mad:

Debbie, when is the Lacy's trial then? I'd like to come over and check it out.

We came through fine. A WHOLE lot of rain, and a little wind, but apparently it didn't come as far into NC (inland) as they thought it would. I suppose I'm grateful that I don't have any trees. :rolleyes:

Oh, and ice storms?? :eek: Four years ago we had an ice storm here that knocked our power out for six and a half days - in the dead of winter. The wee house we were living in had basically no insulation, so we had to get out or freeze (no kerosene heater either). We now have a kerosene heater for emergencies!