BC Boards

OT... Ernesto???

Zookie, you're invited to my house for the next hurricane if you'd like.

Even though I've lived on the northern SC coast for over fifteen years now, I grew up in the mountains - so I still find hurricanes pretty exciting. The true locals find this attitude irritating - much as people in say, Buffalo, NY find those of us (southerners) who get excited about snow annoying. :rolleyes:

It doesn't help that I was a marine science major who specialized in coastal geology, so hurricanes were big events. All of us students would be out on the beach to do pre-event erosion surveys, then we'd scuttle for shelter during the storm, somewhere close enough that we couldn't be prevented from re-entering to do the post-event surveys as well.

Although I will agree with Nancy that the post-hurricane power outages and having to go without water gets a little boring nowadays. I've passed the age where going without a bath for a week or two is any fun anymore. Naturally I keep stored water for the critters on hand.

Not to make light of Katrina, of course, which truly was a tragedy. But most hurricanes don't even approach that scale of loss.