BC Boards

Ahhhhhhh! I Can't Stand It!

geonni banner

Ok, so I googled the "Australian Cattle Collie" to find out if there really is such a thing. There is... :rolleyes:

AND, there's an outfit that calls itself "The American Canine Hybrid Club." (Founded by the decendants of PT BARNUM?) No really. I s**t you not. They list - wait for it..... - 871 registerable hybrids, (with an addendum that says "OTHER HYBRIDS WILL BE ADDED AS DEMANDED BY BREEDERS." Among these varied hybrids (and some are improbable indeed!) are:

Australian Cattle Dog x Boston Terrier Boston Cattle Dog

Australian Cattle Dog x Cocker Spaniel Blue Spaniel

Australian Cattle Dog x Collie Cattle Collie Dog

Australian Cattle Dog x Siberian Husky Ausky

Australian Shepherd x Australian Terrier Miniature Australian Shepterrier

Australian Shepherd x Border Collie Border-Aussie

Australian Shepherd x Golden Retriever Australian Retriever

Australian Shepherd x Labrador Retriever Sheprador

Australian Shepherd x Miniature Schnauzer Confetti Australian Shepherd

Australian Shepherd x Poodle Aussie-Poo

Border Collie x Labrador Retriever Borador

Border Collie x Poodle Bordoodle

Border Collie x Shetland Sheepdog Border Sheepdog

Some of the mix names were so funny I almost wet my pants.

and....

"PLEASE NOTE:

The first breeder to create a new hybrid cross has the opportunity to name it if chosen to do so.

If the breeder does not choose to name a new hybrid, our office will do so.

Once a name has been selected, that name will be used for all successive litters of that particular hybrid."

They will register your litter for the modest fee of $5.00 plus $1.00 for each puppy.

Poodle x Westie Wee-Poo (wherever we please!)

Papillon x Russian Toy Terrier Cherokee Monarch

Miniature Australian Shepherd x Papillon Austi-Pap (sounds like something you put off going to the doctor for...)

Mastiff x Rottweiler English Mastweiler ( something you put Bag Balm on?)

Kerry Blue Terrier x Miniature Schnauzer Kerrblushcnauz (geshundheit!)

Jack Russell Terrier x Pomeranian Jack-A-Ranian (for Republicans only!)

Havanese x Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Hava-Wheat (stays crunchy, even in milk!)

Havanese x Pomeranian Ewokian (Has anyone told George Lucas about this?)

Great Pyrenees x Poodle Pyredoodle (well, s**t fire!)

Cocker Spaniel x Toy Fox Terrier Foxker (now that's just RUDE!)

Cocker Spaniel x Shiba Inu Shocker

Cocker Spaniel x Min Schnauzer Schnocker (likes a nip now and then...)

Chihuahua x Dachshund Chiweenie (not the ones I've seen!)

Cairn Terrier x Poodle Poocan (and a window to throw it out of!)

Bullmastiff x Labrador Retriever Bullmasador (Ole'!)

Bullmastiff x Dogue de Bordeaux Bully Bordeaux (the perfect wine to have with deep-fried twinkies...)

American Eskimo x Beagle American Eagle Dog (another breed for Republicans.)

I don't know whether to laugh or cry... :D Check it out.

http://www.achclub.com/index.php

Crazy!

I suppose my only beef is that I can go to the pound and pick up any of the listed "breeds" (and several that aren't) for under $200, but these breeders are selling these dogs for $500+ :D

So...what about Maverick? He's Boxer X Border Collie and not registerable! I got screwed by my rescue!!!!! :D And here we've been calling him a "Boxlie" but there's no such breed :rolleyes:

So, it you mate one of these, French Weenie to one of these,Dorkie . Can it then be registered as a Dorkie French Weenie? Add one of these Saint Berdoodle and you could have a Wee French St Dorkb'doodle. Just think of the possibilities. Then when referring to it on forums you could refer to it as WFSD or just call them a Wee Dork.

• 5 weeks later...

A rose by any other name is a....mutt!

These deliberate crosses drive me wild because they don't serve the purpose for deliberate and thoughtful breeding -- to improve the utilty of a particular line or trait. It's all fashion, unless you count the attempts to breed a hypo-allergenic (an oxymoron in itself) service dog.

Liz

The site, the names are disgusting. But I must say...some (and comments) brought a grin to my face.

I'm thinking the deviser of this ridiculousness must suffer from what I heard on my audio book today (Water for Elephants - only about half finished, but highly recommend it) - someone suffering from "paragon steerophonia" (I may not have that exactly right...but close 'nuff!).

diane

Dear Sheepdoggers,

Since our dogs are an amalgam of Collies, Gordon Setters, whippets and God knows how many extinct British stockdogs and since we'll call any dog a purebred Border Collie that can win three big open trials, I don't understand why these newer creations get people's knickers in a twist.

Donald McCaig

The simple answer is that our amalgam was created for an actual useful purpose. The dogs listed on this thread are not created for a useful purpose, unless you consider marketing to the clueless public to help part them from their money a useful purpose.

My thoughts only better stated

Donald,

The simple answer is that our amalgam was created for an actual useful purpose. The dogs listed on this thread are not created for a useful purpose, unless you consider marketing to the clueless public to help part them from their money a useful purpose.

J.

You nailed it.

Dear Sheepdoggers,

My friend Julie wrote:

" The dogs listed on this thread are not created for a useful purpose, unless you consider marketing to the clueless public to help part them from their money a useful purpose."

Good someone knows the hidden purposes of every dog breeder. Me. I'm less percipient. And I've always kind of hoped that somewhere, somehow, someone was breeding a daschund/Border Collie cross to slip under sheep's belies to get them off the flatbed and into the market.

I guess I'll have to be satisfied with purity.

Donald McCaig

Donald,

I don't think it's a matter of prescience. I just sincerely doubt that the folks making these crosses and the folks buying them have any thought of some useful purpose for the dogs beyond pets (and making money off litters of puppies with cutesy names). My normal-sized border collie can crawl under the bellies of sheep to get to the front of the trailer and push them off--no dachshund needed! :rolleyes:

J.

I remember a fellow who brought his Shih-Tzu x Bichon Frise in for a checkup a few years ago...called the puppy a purebred "Shi**Y Fries." I wonder if that name could be added to the list...

:rolleyes:

edited to add: Egads. I went back to look at the website and it states the organization has been in business since 1969! So I guess maybe the pedigrees on some of those purebred SirMixALots could be quite extensive, hahaha...

• 3 weeks later...
Good someone knows the hidden purposes of every dog breeder. Me. I'm less percipient. And I've always kind of hoped that somewhere, somehow, someone was breeding a daschund/Border Collie cross to slip under sheep's belies to get them off the flatbed and into the market.

I guess I'll have to be satisfied with purity.

Donald McCaig

They already did it--it's called a Corgi!

I'm kind of with you on this. Maybe there are some significant ways in which this trend differs from the kind of cross-breeding that led to today's breeds, but in any case what's the harm in it? Sure, it would be better if the people buying "canine hybrids" instead adopted from rescue, but since these are probably people that would be buying AKC-style purebreds, how is it a bad thing if instead they buy potentially healthier mixes and the whole breed thing gets a bit more mixed up?

I for one think the difference is clear (the signficant trend). The hybridization that went on in the past was to create dogs with a useful purpose: working livestock, going down into holes after badgers, scenting out the fox, chasing the stag--and then of course variations thereof to suit local conditions and species; all of which are purposes that in some way could improve/assist the human endeavor (the fact that many of those breeds have since moved away from those original purposes can be laid at the feet of industrialization and the dog fancy). Crossing dogs willy nilly so you can slap a cute name on it and ask a huge price for it isn't in any way the same sort of thing, at least in my opinion.

I guess in the grand scheme of things there isn't a great harm being perpetrated--unless you consider all the other unwanted dogs already dying by the thousands. I think most scientists would argue that hybrid vigor doesn't quite work when you are crossing two breeds with inherent genetic issues and that in fact you usually end up with crossbreds that carry the bad genes from both parent breeds. True hybrid vigor is more likely to be realized in a Heinz 57 sort of dog, not a cross between two purebreds.

J.

I for one think the difference is clear (the signficant trend). The hybridization that went on in the past was to create dogs with a useful purpose: working livestock, going down into holes after badgers, scenting out the fox, chasing the stag--and then of course variations thereof to suit local conditions and species; all of which are purposes that in some way could improve/assist the human endeavor (the fact that many of those breeds have since moved away from those original purposes can be laid at the feet of industrialization and the dog fancy). Crossing dogs willy nilly so you can slap a cute name on it and ask a huge price for it isn't in any way the same sort of thing, at least in my opinion.

I guess in the grand scheme of things there isn't a great harm being perpetrated--unless you consider all the other unwanted dogs already dying by the thousands. I think most scientists would argue that hybrid vigor doesn't quite work when you are crossing two breeds with inherent genetic issues and that in fact you usually end up with crossbreds that carry the bad genes from both parent breeds. True hybrid vigor is more likely to be realized in a Heinz 57 sort of dog, not a cross between two purebreds.

J.

Hear, hear. Added to which, there are some other significant points. I suspect that a lot of these hybrids are produced from parents which are sort of the "bottom of the barrel" of their respective breeds. What responsible breeder will sell to a BYB/ Puppy miller?

I doubt if temperament plays much part in the selection of breeding stock that will spend the balance of their lives in a cage. Even less so the physical soundness or any ability that such individuals would have.

Then there's the ridiculous price tags slapped on these frequently mentally maladjusted and physically defective dogs, the complete lack of socialization frequently seen, and the absence of any support for new owners or possibility of return to the breeder, should the dog prove defective or simply need rehoming.

Designer dogs are a bad idea. Plain old mutts, as Julie pointed out, are a different kettle of fish!