BC Boards

quality of life

I had to do a powerpoint presentation this week, and the fact that I was nervous and annoyed BUT NOT REALLY SCARED has made me realise how much having Kessie around has calmed me down. There was a time when I could hardly open my mouth enough to say good morning to the other students. It makes no difference if she is actually with me or waiting for me at home, the change is done. Thank you, Kessie!

Now these days I should be feeling down because we have a lot of exams next week and I can't go anywhere in this lovely weather...but how can you possibly feel down with this sprawled next to you?

DSCN0795kl.jpg

I hope everyone here gets as much from their dogs as I do from her (I'm sure you do!). People who prefer a clean carpet to this kind of companionship don't know what they're missing out on.

Aaaaaw. I think I can see why :rolleyes:

It is amazing, isn't it? How they change you life just by being there? I look back on the last two years and realize how much I have learned, how many more experiences I have had (and will have) and how many people I have met, simply because Dublin is in my life.

Sandra, you are so right. It is so wierd though. It is like Dylan is a part of me - we are lucky to be together almost all the time ( like you 2 ), and I couldn't imagine life without him. G__ help us when we lose them. I want to ask you something - do you think you have room for another dog ( in your heart ) ? I'm not sure I do. And I certainly don't think I have the time ( or finances ! )Maybe I'd feel differently if I did. It kind of struck me like you are a one-dog kind of person and wonder if that is true.

You are so right gang, even with hubby and grown children something would be missing if it wasn't for the dogs. Though Rob was my first and my heart dog and I don't think I could stand to be without him, nothing could fill the holes if Briar or Buddy were gone. There is nothing like falling on the bed and having 3 black and white fuzzies cuddle up with you. You can never have just one, but that's how I feel.

Thanks for understanding!

Zoe, you're right. I'm pretty sure I'm a one-dog person...or so I think 99% of the time.

When we went herding the people who owned the sheep offered us a BC though...a young male who they had rescued. He'd had his jaw broken by a horse and was afraid of everybody. She thought we'd be a good home for him (which I took as a h*ll of a big compliment ) ...for a little while I could easily imagine having room for two. In my heart, that is. But it wouldn't work.

It's very, very important to me to be together with my dog(s) as much as possible. Taking one on the field trips and to university is one thing, but two? I couldn't even afford the train fare. And taking "pack time" away from Kessie to make time for another dog is not an option. I owe her far too much. If she really enjoyed canine company, things would probably be different.

I love that picture of Kessie. She is beautiful. And Beth, your dog is gorgeous too. My dogs have changed my life a million times over. I have more personal confidence, and oddly, I feel like my life has more meaning. Sarah was our first, and she is my heart dog. If I could bring her everywhere with me, I would. The thought of ever losing her brings tears to my eyes. Stu and I both feel that way. Here we are snuggling. Heh.

P1010002.jpg

Life was wonderful when it was just Sarah and us. She got all of our attention, time, and dedication. Stu (my husband) was very hesitant about adopting a 2nd dog because he didn't think Sarah would understand. I finally convinced him that we have enough room in our lives, house, and hearts to give another dog a great life, so then came Sydney. At first, we were very unsure of our decision. Sarah was not very happy about sharing our lives, house, or hearts with this other strange dog. But now...wow. Sarah is still my heart dog, but I think Sydney has every other part of me.

P1010026.jpg

~Kelly

Deneen- Thank you! He's my little fur man. My life felt so empty without him. I can't be without a dog in my life- it just feels like something is missing. Dogs add some kind of element(I call it enrichment) to your life that us dog lovers, just can't be without.

Deneen, thanks for the compliment and for the lapdog pics. :rolleyes: Those scenes look familiar somehow...

2005_1119bildererste0002kl.jpg

some German BC owners call them "Kampfschmuser" ("combat cuddlers") and I think it fits them very nicely

What lovely dogs you guys have. I, too, have found life more enriched by my two pups. They are only 7.5 months old, but I can hardly remember life without them. Kinda like babies, you know? Life before vs. Life with. I've always had cats; these are my first dogs, and they have my heart.

Don't you just love the way they totally relax, and in the oddest positions? Geaugeau is happiest when she is on her back--the slut!

Question: How do you get the thumbnail pix up on the left under your name?

Deb you simply have to frame that picuture of Allie and I imagine your son? That is the kind of image that he will hold on to until his last days when he'll remember Allie and think she was one of the finer aspects of his life.

As for me, I really wanted to resist the 'dog as child' syndrome, but having raised Meg from 7 weeks, still now only eight months old, I have to say she is our little girl. I am mom, DH is Dad, Sox is sister. But its more than that - I can not imagine that the divine could conceive of a better angel.

Aaaaw yes another lapdog :D

It's so unfair when Timmy the huge GSD is with us. Kessie will be climbing all over me and he'll be watching with complete misery on his face, thinking "I was there before her, why can't I do that too :rolleyes: ?" ...Because I still need those intestines you'd like to stomp around on, my friend. Humans can be funny that way.

I don't really see Kessie as my kid, but that's probably because I've never wanted any kids. Otherwise there's no way I could resist.

That said, it's great to have someone to show "my" mountains to...and to share the things I found when I was roaming around alone (wishing I had a dog ). I've even taught her about the fish in the streams (when we were small, the art of trout catching was passed on to us from the older generation of kids) . So maybe I do have the "kiddie syndrome" in a less civilised way?

Sandra, I have a 14yr old daughter and 19yr old son. I loved your clean carpet comment. You will find out that dogs are cleaner, more obedient and smarter than any children you will have. Well, you might be able to argue about smarter except when they hit those teen years.

LOL, I think you're right! I think they're generally less messy than most of us! At 23 I won't count as a "kid" anymore (though if I've grown up, I didn't notice ) but oh the mess...Kessie is no match for me! :rolleyes:

When some place won't allow dogs because of cleanliness ( :mad: ) one can always leave one's (clean) dog in the car and walk in with big muddy mountain boots and soaked trousers.