BC Boards

First car ride

Lance went on his first car ride, out of crate today. Probably the second car ride in his life. He loved it, it was so funny I rode in the passenger seat with him in my arms and the window about half way down. He had his head out the window the whole time, taking in the new sights, sounds, and smells. He's a brave and fearless pup! Im going to get him a harness so I can take him with me in my jeep. He seem willing enough to jump out the window and meet each and every stranger, cat, dog, etc. Definitely a fun experience for the two of us

I hate to spoil your fun, but I have always been told not to let a dog hang its head out the window. The wind in their ears can cause ear infections. The dogs I see doing it always look very happy, but the risk isn't worth it, I think. He will enjoy his car rides just as much with the window up. Also, what if he did jump out of a moving car?

Ok, I knew someone was going to be a fuddy duddy. Im am totally against putting dogs in the back of pick ups and the like, and leaving the window completly down say, in the back seat where the dog is not withing hands reach, but having your dog sit in your lap with the window down just enough for them to stick their head out and feel the wind in their face is ok by me. :rolleyes: To each his own.

100_1369.jpg

I take Sheila on drives if I have some quick errands to run. I'll only take her if I'm going to be less than 15-20 minutes in a store and have to leave her alone. She thoroughly enjoys the trip and I see it as mental stimulation and some good time to reinforce our relationship (me the pack leader, she the happy follower). She's cute because she'll settle down in the seat and then hear something and pop up to see what it is. This happens about every 30 seconds.

I roll the window down about 2-3 inches so she can stick her nose up and get a good whiff of everything, but that's not enough to stick her head out. Three inches is actually enough for her to get a good breeze in the car.

Personally, I don't see a problem with a dog sticking his/her head out the window -- because they do seem to enjoy it so much -- as long as they can't get the rest of the bodies out of the window. An open jeep would probably be even more fun for him because of the wind, but I'd do what you're going to do and find a good harness to make sure he's safe and secure.

My peeve is those people who put their dogs in the backs of pickup trucks. Even if the dog is trained and well behaved, it just isn't a safe situation -- to many things could happen beyond the control the owner.

IMM

My dogs have their own spaces in the back of the car, and they don't have a window to stick their heads out of... Tess is obsessed with cars and will lunge at them as they go by, so she has to lay down in the car. Kipp just watches the scenery go past, so he is allowed to sit up.

They have to have separate spaces because Tess does not like being stepped on.

April28%20070.jpg

Our old Buddy man is my car ride nut. And sorry but he loves the wind in his ears and the bugs in his teeth. Nothing makes him happier and as long as he enjoys it and I am right there with him, he will continue to enjoy it.

My entire back seat is pretty much where the dogs ride. They have excellent car manners, and most of the time they just sleep, only glancing up when I mention we've arrived at the park.

I know it may not be the safest option, many people insist that crates are necessary for dogs riding in cars....but I can't shake the mental 'what if' image of having a bad car accident and somehow being prevented from getting to my dog because I couldn't get the door open to access the crate and get them out in time or something...

I envy you all. I had a dog for 11 yrs that just loved car rdies- but she has since passed on. Now Popcorn HATES the car. He gets so violently ill everytime. So we are going to try again in a month or so and use ginger snaps this time.

My two love their car - it's their second home. We've just come back from 4 and a half weeks on the mainland, driving nearly 4000 miles!

Mine are together in a large crate in the station wagon - back seat down - so that I can put windows down and they can still get the wind in their hair!

Personally, I hate to see dogs' heads right out windows - I'm a worry wort, and there's too much potential for accidents and damage - especially to eyes and ears.

If you're in the front with your dog on your lap - two things to be aware of - in panic stops, or heaven forbid, collisions, the dog will go straight into the windshield; and if you have front passenger airbags, dogs (and kids) should never be in the front seat - the airbags can be fatal.

When we were working at my sheepdog trainer's farm last year, Kirra became a real fan of riding on the flat tray ute. When they ride the ute, the dogs are tied on a short lead to the wire behind the cab, to keep them safe, and stop them from joining the FOU (Fell Off Ute) statistics.

Brandon and Prosperia, I'm all with you! I've been "hit" on this board as well when I first suggested a thread with pictures of our dogs enjoying car rides.

As long as no one lets their dog hang out the window or in the back of a pick up truck, but instead uses caution and lets the dog stick his head off the window when in town (I don't want him doing that on the highway), and the windows are locked (learned that the first day when we got the new SUV and Ouzo stepped on the window button and rolled it almost all the way :D ), then I think it's fine. If I let him stick his whole head off the window, then I hold on to his collar (while my husband's driving, of course :D ).

But to say that: what if dust gets in their eyes, what if a squirell throws a nut just at the very moment when your car is passing under its tree (ok, exageration, but you get the point :rolleyes: ) it's to be a worry wart

P.S. Note: Ouzo is one of the 5 finalists in the Dogster "Car Dog" category, so that tells you something about his love of cars (or actualy it doesn't, just thought I'd add it since we're on the subject LOL )