BC Boards

Mojo Request for Vala (with update and new pics)

Vala is doing really well behaviorally, not bothering the cats anymore. We used time outs in the bathroom to deter her from trying to help me discipline or steal attention away from the cats, with barking or jumping, and the time outs really worked! Last night both cats slept on my head, all night, and not a peep from Vala all night as she slept in her kennel beside the bed. Now we are working on her recall in a nearby fenced-in very large field, and she's close to 100% (I can even call her off squirrels--her drive for affection actually seems to be stronger than her prey drive for now). And the last time it thundered, we let her crawl into bed with me, my husband, and the other two cats, who were chilling on the edge of the bed (she ignored them--she just seemed to want to be near us and felt much more comfortable lying between us, lying relaxedly and going to sleep instead of panting and shaking a bit). So tomorrow she'll have finished 2.5 weeks of doxycycline (though she'll stay on it for 8 in case she has a TBD) and since her health and weight are good now, we're going to give her her first preventative. We'll do this at the vet, because she has a v. high microfilaria count, and he's offered to keep her there for free all day on a fifteen-minute timer, to make sure she doesn't go into shock, and if she does, give her a steroid. But the good news is she hasn't been coughing anymore at all - that must've been the kennel cough - and she's got a lot of energy, so despite her high microfilaria count the disease can't be in too advanced a stage. So, mojo please! For her not to go into shock, and also for her not to get too frightened about staying at the vet for the day (she really likes Doc Carson and the staff, so there's that at least). And here are some recent pictures - candid snapshots, nothing special. (Except the sweetest dog in the world is in them... :rolleyes: )

post-9869-1253144465_thumb.jpg

post-9869-1253144487_thumb.jpg

post-9869-1253144516_thumb.jpg

post-9869-1253144552_thumb.jpg

post-9869-1253144576_thumb.jpg

I had to take these outside in the daylight, because she's scared of the flash! (Reminds her of lightning possibly. She will actually start shaking, if I use the flash, poor thing. Once I realized what was happening I promised her never again.)

Mojo headed to you and Vala from WNY! She looks great - so good to see!

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, Ooky, I was totally bribing everyone with pictures for mojo. You caught me! :rolleyes:

But it looks like it WORKED because Vala is now home, safe and sound. :D

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, Ooky, I was totally bribing everyone with pictures for mojo. You caught me! :rolleyes:

Glad everything went fine for her today! It's good to read your update on her - I'd been wondering how things were going for you and her :D

Yay! Great news and so glad to hear it. Take that, jerk-nematodes.

I'll have you know I'm so corrupt I'll take a bribe like that any day of the week :D She's looking beautiful.

I'll have you know I'm so corrupt I'll take a bribe like that any day of the week :rolleyes: She's looking beautiful.

Thank you! I do think she's looking a lot better myself. She's such a gorgeous dog. And man, in that field, you should see her run!

(My vet keeps insisting that it is OK to let her romp and play on the DC and Heartgard Plus. Anyone who thinks otherwise, could you please explain further or point me at a link to a reputable source? All I remember is that someone said heartworms take a lot out of a dog. But she gets so excited in the morning when it's time for her walk, and I can see her getting happier and happier, the closer we get to the fenced-in field. She really loves the directed running and recall exercises... You should see her when I say come, she runs and circles me with such joy before she sits down. And then when I say "ok" again - the release word - she literally bounces off... I'd hate to take away a favorite part of her day, when it doesn't seem to tax her or make her tired afterwards and my vet keeps saying it's all right.)

The problem with them doing a lot of exercise is that heart worms live up to their name, so to speak. In other words, they are in her heart and there is the chance of a heart attack if there are too many in the heart. The faster a dog "works" their body, the heart has to keep up with blood circulating. That is the way it was explained to me any way. Good luck with her! She is looking good!

The problem with them doing a lot of exercise is that heart worms live up to their name, so to speak. In other words, they are in her heart and there is the chance of a heart attack if there are too many in the heart. The faster a dog "works" their body, the heart has to keep up with blood circulating. That is the way it was explained to me any way. Good luck with her! She is looking good!

OK. Thanks... That's what I understand too and it makes sense. But what is a "lot" of exercise for a border collie? This is all we are doing right now: first thing in the morning she gets an hourlong morning walk on leash, in the middle of which she is allowed to run free for about 15 minutes (this is when we do directed running and recall training in a really large fenced-in field), and then she gets a 1/2 hour walk on leash in the evening. She also goes outside with me a lot on the weekends when I am working in the yard, but that mostly consists of walking alongside me while I am mowing the grass and sitting next to me watching me pull weeds and trim hedges (in other words, it's not highly active, she just seems to enjoy being with me - I can't wait until we have enough of a training vocabulary for me to be able to show her some way to help).

I think for now, though, just to be safe, I'll cut out the running part, because I don't want to overtax her heart. I'm going to call Dr. Carson tomorrow morning and bring this up, because twice in a row tonight she did this weird cough she's never done before, like she's trying to clear her throat and can't quite. I worry the DC/Ivermectin combo is actually doing what the research says it might and starting to kill the worms off... (Worry is a strong word. This'd be great actually because that method is so much gentler than the other if it works, but if it is working I'd like to know so I can make sure she takes things a bit slower if the worms are actually starting to die off.)

Has anyone here actually cured a dog of heartworms using the new IVM-DOXY combo treatment? If so, what side effects did you notice and how soon? (For those who don't know about this treatment strategy, here's an abstract. We're trying this for a couple/few months, possibly longer depending upon her reaction, with the arsenic-based treatment as the next step if it doesn't work out (the IVM-DOXY intermittent also works as a pretreatment for the arsenic-based treatment, reducing embolism). My vet is afraid the IVM-DOXY method won't work or will work too slow, tempting fate too much - he's had too many dogs in which he's been trying this, but the treatment hasn't worked or at least was taking too long for the owners to feel comfortable. But there have been a couple dogs cured this way too. Another one he just found out about last week or so.)