BC Boards

Urgent Help

No. Really though, I don't want to keep her. In no way do I want a Lab - IF I was getting another dog it would be a Border Collie. And I honestly don't want another dog. . .I'm happy with my two. :D

Oddly enough, Blaze is ignoring her. Jake. . .his eyes glaze over I think when he sees a 'female' :rolleyes:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again, Jen!

Around here, most of the dogs I meet were adopted from local (New England) shelters, but were brought up here from the midwest or south via a transport program. Happily, we've got a strong spay/neuter culture here, and there aren't many puppies available for adoption... and even the number of abandoned adults has gone down through education.

All of my sister's four dogs were transported up from the south and ended up in our local shelter as part of the "Homebound Hounds" program, which seems to mostly operate out of Virginia. But I know I meet a lot of other folks who got their dogs as transport puppies from states more deeply in the south. Indiana and Tennessee seem to be pretty common, but I swear I've met dogs who came from Alabama.

Here's a transport program that operates out of Georgia:

http://www.southernhope.org/about.html

Maybe there's a way to transport the pup to them? I know that if she could get up here, she'd be snapped up within hours, literally.

Mary

She is just adorable! Bless you for helping her! I hope you can get her into a wonderful home and BAD Karma to the evil person that threw her away like garbage!!! :rolleyes:

She is just adorable! Bless you for helping her! I hope you can get her into a wonderful home and BAD Karma to the evil person that threw her away like garbage!!! :rolleyes:

Thought I would give you all an update.

I had one more rescue in mind to contact, and they are completely full. So, I'm at a stand-still as to what to do. I'm working with the vet tech as she had two couples in mind that might like her. If niether of the couples would like her, not sure what I'll do. . .

If nothing else works out, I probably will. The only downside to the rescue Mary posted, is it's more than 3 hours away. But if it's the only thing left to do, guess we'll do it!

Jennifer, go to the Rescue Resources & Dogs for Adoption board. Up at the top of the page on the left of this page, click on BC Boards. Rescue... is under Other BC Topics, about in the middle of the page. In Rescue, just under the Announcements, there are topics related to who can transport where and when.

What Julie said. My husband had a Lab in the past and I know he would really like another one, but he also doesn't want to have more than three dogs. So, I am hoping that by keeping all the dog slots full with Border Collies we can avoid ending up with a retriever. If I found a little cutie like this one I think we might end up being stuck with her though.

You are doing a good thing. That face! I can't believe that a puppy who looks like that would have a hard time being adopted. That sucks.

Why not contact the folks at the link Mary provided and see if she could be transported north to a home?

Jennifer, Please be VERY careful about what rescue you go with if you decide to do this. As always, there are great, responsible rescues that transport dogs up and make a great effort to find appropriate homes for them but there are also tons that hand puppies out at random parking lots on first come first serve basis. NEBCR keeps getting phonecalls from people who got their dogs through various rescues that brought them up, but clearly did not care if the dog would be a good match for the home and then refused to take the pup back when things don't work out. I am sure you know this already, but please check the rescue adoption procedures, spay/neuter policy, adoption contract, references etc. Thank you SO much for taking this little girl in, I have a black lab mix girl and so they are close to my heart (even though it was my boyfriend who wanted a lab... I just got sucked in :rolleyes:). Thanks!!!! Petra

Another update: Called 3 more rescues/shelters in Alabama; all full. Haha, it's almost funny now. <sigh>

You never realize, though, just how many dogs are homeless, if all these rescues/foster homes/shelters are full.

If you're considering doing a transport to somewhere further away, and are willing to consider Canada maybe try contacting Sharron at Moosonee Puppy Rescue to see if she has room. She sometimes has adult dogs but deals mainly with pups that are transported down from remote areas in Northern Ontario. She also has brought in pups rescued from mills in Quebec and she went down to New Orleans and brought up a bunch of puppies that were scheduled for euthanasia in an overcrowded shelter a few months after Hurricane Katrina. My Thunder and Flash came from that bunch.

Did you put yourself on the list for any of these rescues? Rescues are almost always completely full since they keep a list of dogs needing to come in and take them as soon as there's an open foster spot. They tend to prioritize dogs who are in danger of being euthanized, but if they know about your puppy, they might be able to figure out a way to fit her in as they adopt dogs out.

Also, do any of them have an "other available" type page that you could put the pup on. The rescue I worked with also listed dogs that we didn't have in foster care but that were available for adoption. Someone looking for a lab puppy might browse such a site and see the little one you have.

Good luck with the search for a rescue--it is astonishing how many dogs need homes (and particularly black lab-type dogs--they are extremely common in shelters up here. We even have a local "black dog rescue" organization--they only take black dogs and they are always full, too.)

Is anyone further north willing to take this pup on? I am in Michigan. BUT my father lives just outside Atlanta. He MAY, just MAYBE, be willing to drive the pup further north.

But someone would have to be willing to take this pup on.......

This board has done amazing things in the past to resituate dogs. Can we do it again?

Jennifer

I hate to hint at this... but honestly, if the puppy could be "dropped" at a shelter around here (Massachusetts), it would likely get adopted very quickly. Older dogs sometimes spend days or weeks in our shelters, but puppies go so quickly! On any given day, especially Saturday, our local SPCA is crowded with families and kids looking to adopt, and there's always a throng if there's a puppy available. The shelter where I got Buddy trucks puppies up from the south, consistently. I can't imagine they'd turn away a pup who was brought there on his own!

Local animal control officers routinely keep found dogs for a couple days, then bring them to the local SPCA if owners don't claim them. If this pup were "found" here, it would follow the sam procedures.

Having said that, getting the pup up here is the tricky part. And someone would have to lie about where he came from. I seem to be neurologically incapable of doing that - I giggle or get really nervous if I'm telling an intricate lie!

Mary

Well, I totally forgot. My dad doesn't have a vehicle currently!! So my idea for transport is no help :-(

Sorry to jump the gun!

I can't believe it could be this hard for such a cutie to find a home!

Jennifer