BC Boards

How to train a puppy not to jump on counters?

Hello everyone! My puppy, Bailey, loves to jump up and put her paws on the counter and grab whatever food is up there, and she does this about 24/7 and I also go over and push her down. Someone suggested shaking a soda can with coins in it to startle her when she goes up, but Bailey simply looked at the can grabbed it and took it around the house shaking it...so noise has no effect on her. Any other advice?

Thanks!

I'm a failure at this and just make sure not to leave food out on the counters where Quinn can get it. My big concern when he was a puppy was that he would leap onto the counters. Not much was safe from him at that time if he was left to his own devices. When he hopped on counters or tables, I'd scold him and remove him (as well as taking away anything he might have nabbed).

At some point, he began to "respect" barriers, no longer crashing or jumping gates and seemed to understand he wasn't supposed to be on counters or tables. I can't remember the last time, he went up on a counter or table even with tempting food on it. However even at 4, he isn't above swiping food left within snout reach. That is probably because I didn't work with him on that behavior the way I did with him jumping onto the tables/counters. That is the downfall of management alone.

As an aside, after a couple sound sensitive dogs (including Quinn who became sound sensitive at 3 years), I wouldn't use shake cans to discourage behaviors. I've seen dogs who'd only care if you threw the can at them and a couple who would happily retrieve it for you. And I wouldn't want to do anything that might make a dog skittish about noise.

You might try a spray bottle of water..like the rattle can some dogs it works on some dogs think being sprayed with water is great fun.

A good trick is to put duck tape--sticky side up--on the edge of the counter. Most dogs after getting their feet stuck and couple of times calls it quicks. Of course then you have to explain to people why your counter tops are ducked taped.

A good trick is to put duck tape--sticky side up--on the edge of the counter. Most dogs after getting their feet stuck and couple of times calls it quicks. Of course then you have to explain to people why your counter tops are ducked taped.

We used the duct tape which worked some of the time. What worked the best for us was to lay empty soda cans on their sides (so they roll) in a row along the edge of the counter. If he jumped up, he'd knock one or two down onto the floor and the noise would make him run away. Of course, now any time someone is holding a can of Pepsi, he freaks. Just kidding! :rolleyes: He is zero noise phobic as an adult, so I don't think it warped his little puppy psyche. I still use this method sometimes when I'm cooling a cake or pie on the counter so he isn't tempted to sample. He's not a counter surfer until it comes to cakes and pies! LOL!

With all mine I've found just keeping stuff back from the edge when I'm not watching and constant supervision the rest of the time has been sufficient for them to learn not to touch food on the counter. Even with meat on the counter (eg. roast on the cutting board, or roast chicken or something), I'll sit down to eat dinner while the leftovers cool and the dogs will leave it alone. If my mom's over she's always telling me to push it back further so the dogs don't get it but they never do. I'm attentive when there's there's something tempting and if they get too close looking, sniffing etc. they get an "Ahhh!" or a "leave it" and they go lie down. Anyhow, they've learned that their turn will come and when I'm putting the meat way there are always a few scraps for everyone to share, they just have to be patient. I guess you could say I put them "on trial" when I'm there to keep an eye on them and they learn that counter surfing is not acceptable. When they were younger I have also told them "off!" and pushed them down if they tried to put feet up, or clapped my hands loudly along with the verbal correction.

I wish I could stop Cheyenne from reaching up on everything! I've solved the kitchen problem by removing all the food from the counter unless it's in a jar or sealed container. But she also does it to my dresser and bookcase. Yesterday, I came home to find one of my special ceramic boxes on the floor. Fortunately, the room is carpeted and it didn't break. I can't put duct tape on my dresser and I can't move the stuff back far enough as she has a very good reach.

Thankfully I've never run into this problem. But all of my dogs are taught the "Off" command, it means four paws on the floor pronto. It helps when they jump up on people, or when they are trying to squish themselves on the couch and there is no room. It could apply in this situation, I do realize that you can only tell them "Off" when you see them, but Border Collies are smart, if their behaviour is redirected enough, it will change. In the meantime, is there a way you could maybe block your kitchen with a baby gate to prevent the temptation?

...or you might just accept the inevitable. Counter-surfing is a Border Collie specialty; it is a recognized competitive sport for them, along with agility and herding. If your dog is expert enough, you might even try registering Quinn for the International Counter-Surfing Trials that are held annually in Fargo, North Dakota (typically on February 30th of each year). The grand prize is a can of Pam that you can use to spray the tops of the counters. But if you truly do not want this behavior to continue, you might try raising the counters to a height 3 inches above the jump height of your dog (of course, that might complicate actually retrieving something that you need from the counter, but we all have to make sacrifices...).

...or you might just accept the inevitable. Counter-surfing is a Border Collie specialty; it is a recognized competitive sport for them, along with agility and herding.

I've seen my dog bend in the WEIRDEST ways! She's also reached stuff I never thought imaginable. Where there's a will there's a way.

But for the most part, whenever she was caught counter surfing, I would just be totally neutral and (gently) pull her by the collar off whatever she was jumping onto and then walk away. I later taught her an "off" command and generally she listens. If something hits the floor though, it's fair game!

...or you might just accept the inevitable. Counter-surfing is a Border Collie specialty; it is a recognized competitive sport for them, along with agility and herding. If your dog is expert enough, you might even try registering Quinn for the International Counter-Surfing Trials that are held annually in Fargo, North Dakota (typically on February 30th of each year). The grand prize is a can of Pam that you can use to spray the tops of the counters. But if you truly do not want this behavior to continue, you might try raising the counters to a height 3 inches above the jump height of your dog (of course, that might complicate actually retrieving something that you need from the counter, but we all have to make sacrifices...).

:rolleyes: