BC Boards

New Border Collie Joining your Group

Hi,

I'm just introducing myself and my BC - Truman. He's a two year old male adopted from a rescue. I desperately turned to the internet until 2 am one night because of behavior that was driving me crazy and I found this forum. I'm a huge advocate of researching 'the breed' before you buy or adopt but we never did intend to get a border collie (we were told he was spaniel/sheltie) although after the adoption it was revealed he was 'possibly' border collie.

Just a few hours of research on this forum and some other BC sites I realized he wasn't being 'bad' he was just being typical.

I hope to get to know more of you as I fill up on the wonderful assortment of opinions, experiences and ideas for handling my boy. You've already given me a lot of peace of mind! Thanks.

Shanty,

Glad you are here! There is so much to learn from others.

I have a 15 1/2 year old Border Collie (had him from puppy-hood), and we are still learning good stuff about the breed!

I had five Golden Retrievers in my life -- not all at once, ha, ha! -- so had a LOT to learn about Borders! They are culture shock after the laid-back Goldens...in a good way, that is.

These boards are a treasure trove of fabulous information.

Got any pix of your new dog? You can post them in the photo area. Would love to see him.

Mary and Travis the Trickless WonderDog

Thanks for the welcome - as you can see I uploaded the photo to the right place now - it was in my personal photos before :rolleyes:

I have some other great shots I'll add - but I do love his 'do I have to pose again?' look in this one!

A little more info on Truman (aka Trubie, Tru) - he was a laid back pup for the most part, he prefers to sniff grass than run (perhaps the spaniel in him? If there is any) and has a nice long list of credits to his name: he doesn't chew, doesn't go in the garbage as a rule (I can count the times it ever happened), doesn't nip or chase kids, fetches and drops the ball at your feet, doesn't steal food, never food or toy aggressive with people, never been crated etc., etc.,

However, although he LOVES other dogs he seems to get over stimulated when there's more than one - especially younger, male goldens and labs for some reason. He barks and acts 'snarky' - and forget it if he manages to get someone's ball! He loves to run with a ball or stick so the other dogs chase, but when they give up he lays down, drops the ball and even seems to tempt the other dogs to grab it, and when they do he attacks them.

I don't play fetch with him if other dogs are around, and if I say 'leave it' he'll avoid taking a ball if someone else decides to play with their dog, but if he manages to 'win' a stick in a tug-of-war with another dog, or finds an abandoned ball in the bushes, that's it. We have to leave pretty quick or he'll eventually do the above. I want him to socialize because HE seems to want to, but lately he's getting too volatile.

If two dogs wrestle he'll circle them barking and diving in to grab ears and necks. Well, I tell you, it looks pretty rough and upset one lady whose puppy seemed to be the one at the bottom of the pile. She felt he was being picked on, and I really couldn't figure out why Truman was suddenly so rough as he usually only barks, which I try to divert him from, and the grabbing was new.

I recently read that the circling, barking and grabbing ears and neck was typical bc behavior for a stubborn sheep that wouldn't get up. Interestingly while I tried to curb the behavior I would tell other owners he was only trying to get the dogs to pay attention to him and run. When the dogs responded to him there was never any 'aggression' or other 'bad' behavior so I can see now that he didn't mean to be, he was just trying to get the herd to break up and run :D

Also, we started agility and at the first class he went after two dogs. My guess is because treats were involved and my daughter was handling him for the first time. Everyone, including the dogs, was new to this and I guess the tension was too much. When one dog was agitated he decided to 'settle' him and when a dog sniffed him while he knew my daughter had treats on her, he likewise put him in his place. I'm afraid he'll pick on someone with even bigger confidence problems than him and get in real trouble.

Since he's such a sweetheart in all other respects, I found it disappointing that he couldn't be more trustworthy with other dogs. I do see some fear and/or possession aggression, but don't know the best way to deal with it. After reading the boards I think I'm starting to understand both his innate 'herding' behavior coming through (which means dog parks with too many dogs is not a good place for us) and the threshold deal (I've been reading Pan's story - I also see a strong physical resemblence in the two).

I'm thinking I should handle Truman myself for the first few agility classes until he's more confident and less wary or protective, and I'll curb our dog park visits to less busy times. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated as I've never done agility or socialized a dog before although I have owned several including a border collie mix my parents got rid of when I was younger and a Pomeranian I had for 12 years.

Sorry for the run-on. Love to hear more from you all!

EDIT: figured out how to post more pics! Here they are: Truman

Welcome to you and Truman from a new fellow member. Everyone here has tons of insight and good information to share. My bc Chase has some sensitivity issues and I have already received advice that is making a difference. Read up and good luck!

from Michele & Chase

Since he's such a sweetheart in all other respects, I found it disappointing that he couldn't be more trustworthy with other dogs. I do see some fear and/or possession aggression, but don't know the best way to deal with it. After reading the boards I think I'm starting to understand both his innate 'herding' behavior coming through (which means dog parks with too many dogs is not a good place for us) and the threshold deal (I've been reading Pan's story - I also see a strong physical resemblence in the two).

Yes, I see the resemblance too! Truman is gorgeous! And, not to criticize my baby, but to reassure you - it sounds like he has a much higher threshold and confidence level than Pan - I'm sure you'll figure this out! Good luck!

Hi Pansmom,

Thanks for the welcome. I don't think we're dealing with the same level of problems thankfully - and I truly hope you find something that works for you and Pan. However, until reading some of the posts I didn't give much thought to his personal threshold level, or just the fact that border collies are rather sensitive as a breed.

I would tell people he was like an overgrown Chihuahua just to prevent them from misunderstanding his 'aggression' but I would still take him to the parks because he wanted to be with other dogs and I thought the exposure would help him to be less nervy. People seem to be more tolerent when I explained he was nervous, not dominant, but on the other hand, maybe its just not the place for him.

Just like my children I am starting to see that dogs have different levels of tolerance for the other 'kids' in their group. Some love a busy playground and jump right in, others hang close to mom or dad, and some want to play but are the biters and grabbers because they don't know how to handle the rough play around them.

This is all very enlightening to me.