BC Boards

Puppy won't eat

MaryP

My heart goes out to you Mary. You gave little Scrappy a lot of love in her short life. May she rest comfortably at the Bridge until you all meet again.

Do the vets know what happened or what caused it?

We gave the vet permission to do a necropsy and she found that the puppy had an intussesception (telescoping intestines) that was about 6 inches long. Even if she had been strong enough for surgery (she was not), there was too much intestine involved to have been able to remove it.

Everyone keeps telling me that I should feel better knowing that it was something that I could not have done anything about. But, I don't feel better really. I know that this little puppy must have been in so much pain over the last few days and we didn't help much by poking her with countless needles and forcing her to take liquids and food that she simply couldn't process. Those are the images burned into my mind. I wanted so badly to help her, but instead, I'm afraid that I just prolonged her pain. How do you come to terms with that?

How do you come to terms with that?

You know that you and your vets did everything you could have given the situation. You tried. Had it not been an intussesception you wouldn't be asking this. I know 1 dog that went through this at 9 years of age, she "barely" made it.

We gave the vet permission to do a necropsy and she found that the puppy had an intussesception (telescoping intestines) that was about 6 inches long. Even if she had been strong enough for surgery (she was not), there was too much intestine involved to have been able to remove it.

Everyone keeps telling me that I should feel better knowing that it was something that I could not have done anything about. But, I don't feel better really. I know that this little puppy must have been in so much pain over the last few days and we didn't help much by poking her with countless needles and forcing her to take liquids and food that she simply couldn't process. Those are the images burned into my mind. I wanted so badly to help her, but instead, I'm afraid that I just prolonged her pain. How do you come to terms with that?

Oh, please don't do that to yourself. It's so unfair. How could you possibly have known - the vet didn't have any idea so how could you think you would. It was just a terrible thing that happened. It happens to all of us who work with animals. It just comes with the territory. Sometimes we win one. And sometimes, no matter how hard we try, we lose one. And then we have to move on and try again. Its just hard.

But what's the alternative, Mary? To watch an animal suffer and not try to help? To put to sleep any sick animal unless you are positive of the diagnosis and that the treatment is helping? You do the best you can with the knowledge and heart you have. You did everything you could for this pup, gave her the best care she's known in her short life. Please don't beat yourself up for trying so hard to help her. Sometimes they just can't be saved. But thank doG for people like you helping the ones who can be.

Yeah, what Tommy Coyote said. Mary, so sorry to hear this but all you ever tried to do was help that puppy. It could have been, and was more likely to be, something else that food and water would help (those being necessary for living)! Even when we take our pets for vetting that actually works, they still don't understand why we need to poke and prod them. But they get that we love them - and I'm sure that puppy did too.

But what's the alternative, Mary? To watch an animal suffer and not try to help? To put to sleep any sick animal unless you are positive of the diagnosis and that the treatment is helping? You do the best you can with the knowledge and heart you have. You did everything you could for this pup, gave her the best care she's known in her short life. Please don't beat yourself up for trying so hard to help her. Sometimes they just can't be saved. But thank doG for people like you helping the ones who can be.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Please try not to be so hard on yourself, Mary. ((hugs))

Mary, I experienced a very similar situation years ago with a cat I found. I know what you're going through, and how tough it is to take, especially when you second guess your decisions with the benefit of hindsight. But later on, with better perspective, you'll see that you proceeded as any compassionate, caring person would have reasonably done. When these painful tragedies occur, it's normal to grieve, but please try to keep in mind all those that have benefited from your largesse, because they are the ones that ultimately make the difference! (((hugs)))

The only thing you could have given little Scrappy was love and compassion with a diagnosis like that, and you gave her all you had. You couldn't have prevented her pain Mary, she would have hurt no matter what you did. Pain is horrible, but temporary. Love, on the other hand, is forever.

I wanted so badly to help her, but instead, I'm afraid that I just prolonged her pain. How do you come to terms with that?

I'm so sorry you couldn't save this puppy Mary....but I'm so glad that you are in this world and trying, and so,I'm sure are her baby siblings..and Jakie and the countless other dogs you save.

Peace...

I saw the beginning of this thread, but was on holidays. I've just now read the remainder. Scrappy is in a better place now, pain free and happy. You'll meet again and she'll remember everything you did for her! You did the best you could, sometimes there is a greater power in control. It just wasn't meant to be.

Don't beat yourself up over it. All of us would have done the same.