BC Boards

Puppy won't eat

MaryP

We took in a litter of 6 4-week old bc puppies Friday afternoon. They had been dumped, wet, at a FL shelter about a week earlier. There were actually 7 of them, but someone (not very smart) involved with the transport decided to "adopt out" one of the puppies to a total stranger at the sending airport. But, that's a whole different story. Anyway, all the puppies ate at each feeding on Friday. They all ate Saturday morning. When I went to feed them for the second time on Saturday, one puppy was not all all interested. I kept trying to wake her up and get her interested in the food, but she would just turn and stagger away. She seemed a little too wobbly on her feet and seemed to only be interested in sleeping. So, not wanting to take any chances, I took her into my vet yesterday afternoon. Her temperature was normal and her lungs were clear. I had them run a parvo test and it was negative. She was dehydrated, so they gave her sub-q fluids plus vitamin B12. They also gave me an antibiotic suspension to give her and some Nutri-cal. We have been force-feeding her the Nutri-cal and giving oral fluids with a syringe. She half-heartedly nibbled at a little bit of raw hamburger last night, which gave me a glimmer of hope, but she is not at all interested in food again this morning. I'm continuing to force-feed her the Nutri-cal and fluids, which she is not happy about, but I cannot interest her in any food. She is the smallest of the puppies. The puppies were wormed at the shelter. The vet ran a fecal on some puppy poop (not sure who's poop) yesterday and it was negative for parasites.

I'm at a loss of what to do. I just can't get her to eat. I'm so scared that I'm going to lose her. Can anyone suggest something that I can do or something that the vet should be looking for? The other puppies all seem to be doing well and thriving. I don't know why this one is not. I need some help.

I don't have any great advice. My first thought was fading puppy syndrome, but I think that usually happens in the first week or two of life. I think I'd keep following the program you're following and make sure you keep her warm. It sounds like you've covered all bases with the vet. It may take a day or two for the antibiotics to really have an effect (and of course you may want to retest/recheck for infection as you may have caught it early enough to get a false negative, say, on the parvo test, and of course antibiotics won't cure a viral infection). Sometimes pups just don't make it, and in this case the odds were stacked against her, given her rough start in life. But I'm sending prayers and mojo your way in hopes that she'll come around.

J.

She's back at the vet. My vet is not open today, so we took her to the Banfield vet because I really didn't want to take her to the E-vet. I couldn't stand sitting here watching her get weaker and weaker. My friend came and picked her up and took her to the vet because I have to leave in about 1/2 hour to go do a dog adoption. She just called and told me that they are putting her on I.V. fluids and will be trying to give her some nutrition once she's been rehydrated. They seem to think she will perk up with the I.V. fluids. I will go by and see her when I get back. Please keep sending prayers and mojo her way.

How is the pup doing?

The vet just called as I was getting ready to go see her. She has apparently thrown up several times, so they have decided to keep her overnight so they can keep her on I.V. fluids. She is also getting I.V. antibiotics and anti-nausea medicine. So, I won't know more until they call me tomorrow morning.

All of the other pups seem to still be thriving, thank God.

Prayers for you and Miss Itty Bitty! She survived for a reason. Keep fighting little one! :rolleyes:

Echo. Sending you very best wishes.

this sounds like the same story from my old neighbor. THey bought a teeny tiny yorkie pup from a breeder. She was the runt. For weeks my neighbor force fed the pup and the pup only wanted to sleep. Had her to the vets almost everyother day. No diag. Finally they found coccidia. I don't know why the vets hadn't checked but they had tried lots of antibio's and other stuff, I think they were keeping her alive with nutri-cal. and fluids each time they went to the vet. Anyway, once the coc. was treated the pup turned around in a few days.

Just an idea....

Tons of good puppy mojo coming you way from CO.

Thank you for doing what you do!

Just a quick update on the sick puppy. The vet called this morning and said that she was doing a lot better compared to yesterday after having been on the I.V. fluids over night. He said that she did not vomit at all during the night and they were going to keep her on the I.V. fluids and antibiotics today and see if they could get her to eat. He just called a few minutes ago and said that she is still doing well, but is not interested in eating anything. I'm going to go by after work and see her.

The other puppies are all doing great. One of the other small females (and my favorite) gave me quite a scare yesterday afternoon and well into the evening. She started fading just like the sick puppy at the vet's office and I was sure I'd be bringing her into the vet this morning, too. But, I forced-fed her water and Nutri-cal and by about 9:30 last night, she had perked up and was acting like her old self. Today, she is doing great. She is eating and drinking and alert and playful and I am so relieved.

I noticed that Mary posted a quick update to the rescue board this morning; she was going to bring the puppy home to care for overnight tonight (sub-q fluids to keep her hydrated and force-feeding every 3 hours), so I expect she's pretty worn out.

Mary did share both good news (no vomiting since Sunday) and bad news (developed bloody diarrhea yesterday). Although the puppy doesn't have a definite diagnosis yet, the vet agreed that there's a good chance she has coccidia, so that's what they are treating her for now.

Here's the thread on BCR for anyone who would like to see the whole story.

Without going into the details, Scrappy (the puppy), went into hemorrhagic shock at the vet's about an hour ago and we opted to end her pain. Even though it is more expensive, we have requested an individual cremation for her. She deserves that. Her ashes will stay with me forever.