BC Boards

Bordatella

Lizmo

Is it nessessary? Blaze gets out, sees new people, dogs, and places. Should I be concerned if he doesn't get that vax when he goes in for his rabies shot in June? Then I've got another dog who hasn't been vax'ed for that in a while and she's never had problems with KC (she gets out, too), but our other dog who has been vax'ed, had problems with KC.

And, of course, my vet is pushing for it every year.

-sorry! more questions about vaccinces-

Is it nessessary? Blaze gets out, sees new people, dogs, and places. Should I be concerned if he doesn't get that vax when he goes in for his rabies shot in June? Then I've got another dog who hasn't been vax'ed for that in a while and she's never had problems with KC (she gets out, too), but our other dog who has been vax'ed, had problems with KC.

And, of course, my vet is pushing for it every year.

-sorry! more questions about vaccinces-

I never fool around with KC. If your dogs are in contact with other dogs, then I would suggest strongly you vax for KC...Bob Stephens

I get it for Fergie only when I'm about to board her. Well, at least a month in advance. And that's only because the kennels require it. Some years ago, she got KC even though she was vaccinated. It was no big deal - at least for her, then.

She is Miss Congeniality in our neighborhood - dogs, cats, kids, adults....

I never get a bordatella vax for my dogs, and they've never had kennel cough (or if they ever did, it was so minor I didn't notice it), and they too meet other dogs and people in the normal course of life. I would only get it if I had to board a dog in a commercial facility, because they all require it. And one reason I never board a dog in a commercial facility anymore is that I don't want to give vaccinations like bordatella and coronavirus.

Hi,

KC is not usually serious, but in puppies and occasionally older dogs, it can develop into pneumonia. Since my dogs are often at the vet clinic and I keep them in the boarding area, I keep them vaccinated for it and none have caught it when I was current on the vaccine. Only two of my dogs have gotten it and it was when I let the vaccine lapse, but I know they can get it even if vaccinated, but it's more likely to be a milder case.

Looking for corrections here if necessary...but my understanding is that there a number of different strains (?) of bordetella, and the vaccine only works on some of them. Hence the dogs that may get KC even if vaccinated. Like Eileen, I don't board partly due to the requirement - which, if the aforesaid is true - is just plain stupid.

My dogs are at a lot of agility trials, and we run into dogs on our hikes a lot - and they've never been vaccinated, and never had KC that I know of.

Why bother? Why pay for it?!

diane

I don't think it's stupid to get it- even though some strains may not be covered, as I said, my only two dogs that got it were past due for it. To put it in perspective, my dogs are probably exposed more than most, since I work for a vet and at least four of the dogs might be taken to work with me anywhere from one to four days a week.

I get it done every year because my dogs are high risk since I work in a vet hospital and they come with me quite often. They still have come down with it from time to time over the years. This past fall Sage even got pneumonia from KC. He happens to be my dog with the least public exposure to other dogs, so the most naive immune system. I am certain my dogs got it from the other dogs in my apartment building this past fall and not from the park or work. I heard the dog that lives above me hacking for about 4 weeks, then the dog across the hall got it, then mine got it, then the dog on the basement level...

I don't think it's stupid to get it- even though some strains may not be covered, as I said, my only two dogs that got it were past due for it.

I think there are certainly situations--like dogs with frequent exposure--where it makes sense to vaccinate for kennel cough. But what really annoys me is the vet office who requires a KC vaccine if the dog is coming in for a procedure and going home the same day. I really don't think that a dog who is vaccinated on the exact same day on which it might be exposed is going to gain much from the vaccine. So I do think it's stupid for a practice to require a KC vaccine on the day of for a dog who's going to be there for just the day. And since I prefer to vaccinate my dogs minimally anyway, I'm just not inclined to vaccinate mine for something when there's minimal risk they'll be exposed or infected. JMO.

J.

I think there are certainly situations--like dogs with frequent exposure--where it makes sense to vaccinate for kennel cough. But what really annoys me is the vet office who requires a KC vaccine if the dog is coming in for a procedure and going home the same day. I really don't think that a dog who is vaccinated on the exact same day on which it might be exposed is going to gain much from the vaccine. So I do think it's stupid for a practice to require a KC vaccine on the day of for a dog who's going to be there for just the day. And since I prefer to vaccinate my dogs minimally anyway, I'm just not inclined to vaccinate mine for something when there's minimal risk they'll be exposed or infected. JMO.

J.

I was responding to the person who said it was stupid to get the vaccine since some strains won't be covered. If someone chooses to vaccinate differently, I can see the reasons for it, although I don't agree with it- but I wouldn't call it "stupid" to not do it. It's just not that serious of an illness in general.

Although our rule is dogs must be current on vaccines to have routine procedures or boarding done, that's a fairly bendable rule except for rabies (unless the animal is too old or has a history of reaction). I don't think it's stupid to require it for boarding- if they wish to use our facilities, then they comply. We do warn those who are past due on KC that there is a chance their dog will get it if they board and recommend when they make their reservation to come in earlier to boost the vaccine if its over due.