BC Boards

Does it bother you to hear "borders"

I don't think I have heard anyone call them borders in real life...

You will eventually. :rolleyes: In general most of the folks I hear doing it are sports people. Can't say really about conformation folks, because I don't ever really spend any time around them.

My ex-husband INSISTED on calling them borders. I don't really care as much what other people do, but it used to make me crazy that he'd do it - even after discussion after discussion after discussion on things. Then again, he was also upset that I spayed our Border Collie Mix, Bree, because he felt we should have let her have "just one litter" because she was such a special dog. *gag*

It really is a cultural tell. It bugs me, but not enough to really point it out much unless I'm cranky to begin with.

I didn't use BC until I logged in here. I'[ver always called them sheepdogs or border collies.

Which can be used as a proper noun or not.

I've heard lots of people call them "borders" here (geographically "here", not on these boards), so it doesn't bother me much. I wasn't aware of the AKC angle until someone said it on the boards and got told off.

As for shortening it to BC, I only do it on this forum where the meaning is obvious. I really don't see how anyone could find the energy to get miffed at that. If we're going to be THAT picky about words, let us consider the fate that the Dachshund suffers on these boards :rolleyes: (just kidding...that's four consonants in an unpleasant row, after all. I'd hate to have to learn German as an English speaker).

Just for fun I was wondering if my dog ,a Border collie, fitted any of these definitions of 'borders' ! I don't think she fits in.

1. A part that forms the outer edge of something.2. A decorative strip around the edge of something, such as fabric.3. A strip of ground, as at the edge of a garden or walk, in which ornamental plants or shrubs are planted.4. The line or frontier area separating political divisions or geographic regions; a boundary.

I'm pretty sure I say "Border Collie" when talking about the breed. I can't be sure if I have or have not ever used the term "borders" before. Mainly because this thread is the first time I've heard that some find it offensive. Though, I've known about the AKC contention for a while. Maybe its because I'm usually the only one around who actually has a BC. Though when I do take Gus to public places, he get mistaken for an Aussie or a BC mix quite a lot because he is a tri-color. Then I usually end up explaining about their breeding concentrating on working ability and how it produced a wide variety of looks. They still expect a BC to be black and white.

Oh and I do use acronyms like BC, when on the internet as you can tell. Can't see actaully saying "BC" in an actuall conversation though.

From my experience in American AKC-land, "borders" refers to Border Terriers. (An even more different breed). AKC folk (at least in the performance activities where I've been) seem inclined to "BC" as an abbreviation for Border Collies. "Sheepdogs" translates in AKC to "Old English Sheepdogs." "Collies" are AKC rough/smooth Lassie dogs.

I find myself inclined to type "border collie" or "sheepdog" (no initial capitals) for working dogs these days, myself. But as long as I understand the breed reference in context, I don't find any of these versions offensive. If someone makes it unmistakeably clear they're trying to be offensive... I still prefer not to take offense. Just to be difficult. :-)

Liz S

& assorted herding h*llions

We refer to our BC when he runs amok as Collies without Borders. I wouldn' t know what someone was talking about if they referred to him as a "Boarder", it would more likely bring up images of the plywood that covers the damage he did when he was in his destructive phase.

mine crew, except for Juta, a border collies, but sometimes they're just collies, and sometimes, I might have some Boarders, who might eventually stay and become freeloading collies, but most of the time, they leave and are no longer boarders, leaving only the freeloading collies, the permanent residents, and not Boarders.

Funny...I've never heard the term "border" referred to a Border Collie - only to Border Terriers. :rolleyes: I guess I only use Border Collie in conversation, BC when typing, and caps randomly...I'll have to pay better attention.

My last dog was tri-colored and several people asked me what breed of dog she was, when I told them she was a Border Collie, they said "Oh no, she's mixed with something else or she would'nt have the brown spots" or "Good Border Collies are always just black & white" When I I'd tell them she was a 100% purebred ABCA registered dog, they'd look at me like I was lying. Has this ever happened to any of you?

I have a black tri BC and a black bi (black and white - minimal white) Aussie. The bc looks like a bc, but as a pup, we got a lot of - "an Aussie with a tail?". With the Aussie, we get a lot of "I've never seen a BC without a tail" comments. I try to explan that YES border collies come this way, and Aussies come that way, but for the know it alls...I let them tell me I have an Aussie mix (the tri) and a purebred BC (the bi). Ok.

Jennifer Akins

Trowbridge, CA

I do use the term "border" never thought about any of the dog political stuff that has been mentioned just a quick abbreviation when some one asked me what type of dog I had, much faster when one has to explain the GSD beagle X I have at the same time. I have never had any interest in AKC stuff or breeding or anything like that. My dogs have all been rescues etc. To me "Border Collie" is named after the Scottish border area and when I use the term "Border" it is referring to this area about the Borders If you are British the Borders are a specific place where Border Collies come from.

Growing up in the North of England black and white dogs (and other colors) that lived on worked on farms and as pets were simply sheepdogs not collies but if I described my dog as a sheepdog in the US I would get a blank look.

I do use the term "border" never thought about any of the dog political stuff that has been mentioned just a quick abbreviation when some one asked me what type of dog I had, much faster when one has to explain the GSD beagle X I have at the same time. I have never had any interest in AKC stuff or breeding or anything like that. My dogs have all been rescues etc. To me "Border Collie" is named after the Scottish border area and when I use the term "Border" it is referring to this area about the Borders If you are British the Borders are a specific place where Border Collies come from.

Growing up in the North of England black and white dogs (and other colors) that lived on worked on farms and as pets were simply sheepdogs not collies but if I described my dog as a sheepdog in the US I would get a blank look.