BC Boards

My Border Collie Puppie with my Rabbits!

If it were me, I might get a hula hoop cause it would be fun, but you'd be suprised with what Sam can find or to play with on his own(sticks, pinecones etc.). I don't go over board on getting my puppies stuff to play with or train with. Personally, I save all my money for sheep related things.

cheap alternative - if you have a bit of old (perhaps leaky) garden hose and some duct tape, you can make a couple of hoops of various sizes, tugs, and retrievables. If you search on "Dazzle" or "Kat's dogs", you can find some neat videos with all sorts of tricks ideas. Have fun!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad you got him chipped, poked and he's ready to go. Never knew any dog that got a nose bleed after being chipped :rolleyes: Glad it wasn't you or the vet. I figure I'm protected from all the sheep diseases that we vac. for, I've poked myself several tiimes (especially in the beginnig) when giving vacanations to my sheep. Once it was pretty deep in my thumb!

If it were me, I might get a hula hoop cause it would be fun, but you'd be suprised with what Sam can find or to play with on his own(sticks, pinecones etc.). I don't go over board on getting my puppies stuff to play with or train with. Personally, I save all my money for sheep related things.

It also seems a bit much to me, keeping him so confined since this was his last set of shots. After the first set, I drag my pups everywhere I go. But I NEVER go to pet stores or dog parks with them so the risks I expose them to are a tiny bit safer. To me, better to have a socialized pup and that happens as early as I can do it.

BCSam, I never meant that you should be expecting anything for free from your farmer friend. Only that he might let you watch his parents or siblings work free. Learning to work stock is like anything else, there's a cost involved. I for one am finding out exactly how much that cost is at the moment! The place we're lookin to buy will be the most expensive place I've ever had. I'm freakin at the price.

Good luck with your new adventures

Hi bcnewe2,

I asked my vet today (he's our village vet) about taking Sam out now he's had his second and final set of vacs, and the vet said they've had a recent outbreak of Parvo, and one woman came in with 3 of her dogs and they all had Parvo! She was VERY lucky as apparently all survived.

I live on a housing estate in a small village and my house is the last row of houses before it opens up into farmers fields/countryside, many of the fiels have public footpaths that dog walkers use, and i'm really worried about taking Sam out until a week as the vet said it would take a minimum of a week for 'some' of the antibodies to become raised enough to help protect from the infection, but it actually takes a lot longer than a week for full protection.

I would hate to risk Sams health and for him to get something and die, i've become VERY attached to him..... :D

I was not sure that was cool...but I guess it is public information so check out http://www.kinlochsheepdogs.com/Links.htm This is their links section and many of those folks listed in the UK work with people wanting to learn to work stock with their dogs.

The folks at Kinloch sheepdogs are a wealth of information...they are located in Wales. They are good about helping people find answers to their questions.....and you might want to check out their new book they have just published.

Derek Scrimgeour is not on that list but he works with folks as well....his web site is http://www.bordercollie.gb.com/Home.htm He is in Englad...in the Lake District

Enjoy!

Hi Lora, thanks for the postings, i was looking at the Kinloch website the other day funny enough as i was reading that the people came from Canada and they sold up everything and moved to Scotland first (i recall seeing a lovely photo of their house in Scotland) and then sold and moved to Wales. I recall the man is into running and has won quite a few marathons/track races.

Wales is about 4 1/2 hours drive from me, so would be a 9 hour round trip (was long enough the night i went to collect Sam!!

I think that would be a little too long, i would love to find somewhere down here in Kent, as we have loads of countryside/farms and surely one of them would offer this facility.

I'll have to start Googling! :rolleyes:

I am WAY late on this but just wanted to give you a diff way to think about it.

Do you think it is possible that the dog is chasing in an unhealthy way just to be a silly puppy and not actually doing a controlled herding? It is the silly play that says "I run you run, how fun!" Then when you turn your back, it gets more aggressive because the dog is getting more bold and more obsessively driven. What would happen in this situation if you were not there? It sounds like you are building a problem you will later regret.

Are you thinking the rabbits enjoy this? Do you ever look at their little chests heaving when it is all done? What a fright they must be getting. Heart attacks waiting to happen.

Bordercolliesam has recanted his rabbit rousing ways. People please read all the way to end before posting so we quit stabbing the poor fella in the heart after he already rolled over and played dead for us.

More appropriate way to judge a rabbits stress level is to look at its eyes, If they are bulging and you can see the whites of its eyes, it is too stressed.

Hi people, yes my Rabbit days are over, Sams had his last set of injections, and I just can't wait until Saturday comes so i can take him out for his first proper walk/run.

My next step will be agility, and then trying to find some farm in my part of the country that will teach me and my dog to herd sheep.

They may not lose it per se, but it can certainly be controled. Well, I guess I should say, if you have control of your dog. Left on their own, not so much. I had a shepardXcollie(rough) that absolutely dispised cats. He had killed several in our back yard. He was never left alone in the house because of Sammy. One day I left and the kids apparently left afterwards and did not shut the back door all the way. When I got home, there was Bandit and Sammy was relaxing on the couch. I still didn't leave him in the house alone. No sense tempting fate twice!