BC Boards

Puppy weight question

How much did YOUR BC puppy weigh at 12 weeks?

Our little one 18.2 lbs today. :rolleyes:

Just trying to figure out how big she'll end up being. We still can't figure out if she's really a mix or what she's mixed with.

She's absolutely crazy though, and we love her :D

If I remember correctly Lewie was 13 pounds at 9 weeks when I adopted him, 16 pounds at 11 or 12 weeks. He's a mix but I don't know with what. Mom was tied outside at the end of a chain ( :rolleyes: ) and Dad was a traveling salesman. Sixty pounds seems to be a healthy body weight for him now as a young adult.

Baby Lewie at 8 weeks.

post-8416-1232385104_thumb.jpg

Lewie grown up and sassy.

post-8416-1232385155_thumb.jpg

If I remember correctly Lewie was 13 pounds at 9 weeks when I adopted him, 16 pounds at 11 or 12 weeks. He's a mix but I don't know with what. Mom was tied outside at the end of a chain ( :rolleyes: ) and Dad was a traveling salesman. Sixty pounds seems to be a healthy body weight for him now as a young adult.

Baby Lewie at 8 weeks.

post-8416-1232385104_thumb.jpg

Lewie grown up and sassy.

post-8416-1232385155_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing she'll be up in that range then too. She's gonna be a big girl :D

Lewie looks very handsome, I like that thick rough coat up front.

How much did YOUR BC puppy weigh at 12 weeks?

Our little one 18.2 lbs today. :rolleyes:

Just trying to figure out how big she'll end up being. We still can't figure out if she's really a mix or what she's mixed with.

She's absolutely crazy though, and we love her :D

If your puppy is a healthy weight (skinny, you can easily feel the ribs and hips, the skin over the ribs is loose but thin) you can double the weight at 16 weeks to get a fairly accurate estimate of adult weight. I know this works for medium sized dogs. The estimate will be within 5 lbs of your dog's ideal *fully mature* adult weight. Your dog may not (really, she should not) reach that weight until she is 2 or 3 years old if she grows normally.

Based on your pups current weight I would guess she will be about 45 lbs full grown, but at this stage I could be off by 10 lbs or more.

If your puppy is a healthy weight (skinny, you can easily feel the ribs and hips, the skin over the ribs is loose but thin) you can double the weight at 16 weeks to get a fairly accurate estimate of adult weight.

Eak :rolleyes: I hadn't heard this formula before...I do hope it doesn't holds for Nap as he was 30.1 at 16 weeks.....though now he's holding at about 48 at a year old!

If your puppy is a healthy weight (skinny, you can easily feel the ribs and hips, the skin over the ribs is loose but thin) you can double the weight at 16 weeks to get a fairly accurate estimate of adult weight. I know this works for medium sized dogs. The estimate will be within 5 lbs of your dog's ideal *fully mature* adult weight. Your dog may not (really, she should not) reach that weight until she is 2 or 3 years old if she grows normally.

Based on your pups current weight I would guess she will be about 45 lbs full grown, but at this stage I could be off by 10 lbs or more.

I thought the formula was to double their 4-month weight for their approximate adult weight.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how she grows.

I thought the formula was to double their 4-month weight for their approximate adult weight.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how she grows.

Unless my brain has shut down completely, which is entirely possible, 16 weeks = 4 months.

Eak :rolleyes: I hadn't heard this formula before...I do hope it doesn't holds for Nap as he was 30.1 at 16 weeks.....though now he's holding at about 48 at a year old!

I have a BC who was a pudgy 30 lbs at 16 weeks. His fit and trim working weight in his prime was 52 to 55 lbs. At that weight he had a whole lot of muscle but I could easily feel his ribs, spine and the points of his hips. Now that he is old and arthritic he is a very skinny 48 lbs.

Yep, I've heard the same thing about doubling their weight at 4 months (or 16 weeks :rolleyes:). That formula was pretty accurate with mine, except Lilly, who was very underweight when we first got her. Alex, at about 12-13 weeks, weighed 13 lbs. He's about 31-32 lbs now, fully grown.

It definately doesn't work for large breeds. My brother's bullmastiff is 4x her 16week weight and she's only 9 months :D And she's nothing but solid muscle.

I'm still wondering about Grady. He was 29lbs at 21 weeks and only 37lbs at 10 months. He's so skinny and i can't keep any weight on him :rolleyes:

Odin was about 22 lbs at 12 weeks and 26.5 lbs at 16 weeks, I think. He's about 42-43 now at 10 months. I can't believe that means he might top 50! Which is funny, b/c I specifically did not get a Aussie or GSD (my original pref choices) because I had a 50lb limit. Good thing my landlord loves "Odie" now.

Kind of a related question: where exactly do I measure at the withers? The lowest part or close to the neck, or some other part? He seems to be about 22.5" at the shoulder but I don't know which part to measure, exactly.

OK - I consider Rory a fairly large Border Collie pup (and not just by contrast with ness's Kenzie :rolleyes: .) He weighed 7.5 kg (16.5 lbs) at 12 weeks, and 11.0 kg (24.3 lbs) at 16 weeks. That formula about doubling the 16 week weight is interesting - that would put him about 22 kg (48 lbs) as an adult - that would be OK.

Is there any similar formula for gauging height?

Joy's around 25-30 pounds now, when she was weighed last time at the vet (a few months ago). She didn't gain a lot of weight between 8-16 weeks (which made us concerned of worms). If I'm right, she was around 15 pounds. She was a tiny girl, but she's certainly grown a lot taller then we all expected.

I know that thing certainly doesn't work for malinois! Knox was 20 pounds was he was 16 weeks and now he's 75 pounds of solid, rippling muscle. It seemed like the 'formula' estimated Joy's weight pretty good.

Wick weighed her age in weeks until about 22 weeks, so at 12 weeks she was 12 pounds. She grew steady with no spurts, and wasn't on puppy food. You either take their 16 week weight or 4 month weight and double it for an estimated final weight - forget which.

There is a old thread (3yrs old now) that lists many pups weights - i think it's actually in the photo gallery section.

Here's what I have:

River, currently 3yo.

8wks, 5lbs

12 wks, 8.9lbs

13.3wks, 11.3lbs, 12"

14wks, 12lbs, 14"

6mo, 28lbs, 18.5"

7 1/2mo, 32lbs, 19.5"

1y 2mo, 32lbs, 19.5"

2 1/2yo, 35lbs, 19.5"

Diesel, currently 3yo, got him at 15mos, but have his weight at 13wks from vet paperwork.

13wks, 20.1lbs

1yr 1mo, 47lbs, 21.5"

2yrs 4mos, 45lbs, 21.5"

Aero is a mix but here's his info, currently 11mos.

8wks, 10lbs

9.4wks, 15lbs

11wks, 17.4lbs

12wks, 15"

13.2wks, 23lbs, 15"

3mos, 25lbs, 17.25"

17wks, 18"

19wks, 30lbs, 19"

22wks, 34lbs

6mo, 20 1/2"

7mos, 42lbs, 22 1/2"

7.5mos, 45lbs, 23"