BC Boards

New Crate Problem

Bliss, I crate trained and has gone happily into her crate every night. The last few days, I've coaxed, and even had to drag her into there. Once she's in, she happy. What happened to my happy crate trained dog?

P.S. It does not bother me that they are not in their crates at night- I just would rather sleep alone, if you know what I mean. And Usher knows the routine and Bliss did too. Don't know what happened.

Guest maya's mom

I don't really have an answer to this problem, but Maya does somthing similar sometimes. Every day during the week, when I leave for work, she gets crated. I fill her kong with a little bit of her food, and I say to her "Let's Go", or something to that effect. She sees me with the Kong, and immediately heads to her crate and goes in, no problem. Monday through Friday, this happens without incidence. But, if we do this on a weekend, she does not want to go into her crate. I still do the Kong thing, talk in an up beat voice......doesn't matter. She just sits and looks at me. I wonder if she knows her "routine" so well, that she knows when it's a weekend day! Once I get her in there on a weekend, same thing as you....no problems, or crying, barking, etc. She just doesn't go willingly unless it's a work day!

P.S. It does not bother me that they are not in their crates at night- I just would rather sleep alone, if you know what I mean.

Hi Dianne,

Does this mean that if you don't put them in their crates at night, they jump up on your bed while you're sleeping? Did you used to let them sleep with you? You seem to be a veteran trainer, couldn't you just train that the bed is off limits? :rolleyes:

Georgia

Do you have bedding in the crate? Any chance it or the crate itself could need to be cleaned? Some smell may be in there that she finds offensive even if you haven't noticed it. Is there something by the crate she could be worried or frightened of?

Where is Usher when she is refusing to go in her crate? I know there have been times where I missed what one dog was doing (a look, a lip curl) because I was focused on another dog who wasn't obeying a command.

Or she may simply not want to be in the crate, preferring to be out. If that is the case, you could work on making entering the crate more rewarding, making a game of it. That and gentle, firm insistance that she crate up for the night should get her past any rebellion. I also like Georgia's suggestion of training the bed is off limits if the dog is otherwise trustworthy in the house at night.

Is the crate rattling or otherwise making some sort of noise when she goes in? She might have been spooked by a noise, or the crate floor slipping when she first entered once, etc etc etc. Pay careful attention when you put her in, you might find she's reluctant because of some specific thing that could be an easy fix.

Or, you could never know, and you just need to keep up with the gentle, firm insistence. Sometimes it's just not possible to get to the why of something.

Ruth

Usher heads for his crate at 10:00 to 10:30. Bliss just started this. I might have to take out the Walgreen's pillow. Could be the same thing that Usher didn't like. There was a squeaky toy in there that "spooked" her.

She sleeps on the floor, but tries to sneak up on the bed. All my dogs have just slept in their crates at night. They all seem to enjoy them. I'll try the "cookie" thing tonight. Thanks for the tips!!

There was a squeaky toy in there that "spooked" her.

I think that's the culprit. Skye has a very long memory when it comes to 'spooky' toys and will go out of her way to (i) avoid them, (ii) hide them from me.

I agree with Barb. I think if you entice her with treats, plus perhaps a piece of clothing that smells like you (that you don't need :rolleyes: ), and make a point of showing her the offending toy and placing it somewhere far away she'll be more inclined to go back to the crate and stay there happily.

Good luck!

Ailsa

I think that's the culprit. Skye has a very long memory when it comes to 'spooky' toys and will go out of her way to (i) avoid them, (ii) hide them from me.

Off topic, but this is so funny. Odin has a stuffed sheep that makes a "baaa, baaaa" noise and he is TERRIFIED of it. He gives it a wide berth when it is on the floor, making sure to not go anywhere near it in case it causes the baa sound to happen. He hides under the coffee table when I threaten to touch it. But he hasn't figured out to hide it from me yet! That is too funny, Skye is Smart!

Do you suppose the pillow is a static electricity shocker? As the weather gets colder and dryer, the static shock starts making my cats "superstitious" eg. jumping off of things in a funny way, avoiding certain pieces of furniture, etc.