BC Boards

saw this on the news...

This is just pathetic, this dog can't walk because it's so disgustingly overweight. The only reason the poor thing survived a night out in the cold "FROZEN" to the sidewalk was more than likely because it has such a HUGE layer of fat...

http://www.wisn.com/news/18214694/detail.html#

here is the video link....

http://www.wisn.com/video/18215158/index.html

The young Labradoodle puppy behind us has been out almost constantly lately and it's been in the teens here at night. He barks nonstop. :rolleyes: Poor thing. I think he's probably in the way now that the Christmas decorations are in place and they're entertaining. I was on my way out the other night to see what I could do for him, but they finally brought him in around 12:30 a.m., just as I flipped on the deck lights. I don't know at what temperature it becomes dangerous for a dog to be out, but low teens seems pretty cold to me! :D

I don't know at what temperature it becomes dangerous for a dog to be out, but low teens seems pretty cold to me!

That depends on the dog -- or more specifically it's coat. Breeds like the husky develop thick double coats that keep them warm almost regardless of how low the temperature drops. Dogs with thinner coats would easily freeze to death at the 6F night temperature this poor guy had to endure.

I saw that on the evening news last night (they seem a bit slow with the "news" around here). I have never seen a dog so overweight. I'm surprised it can move at all. Poor thing!

The neighbors defended the woman according to the news, saying she couldn't help the dog up the steps. Well, why didn't THEY help her???? Also, I would have asked someone for help instead of just leaving the dog on the side walk .....

Andrea

When I first heard about this news story, I was baffled. How did a dog manage to get frozen to the pavement? And I was thinking, no way a BC weighs 120 pounds, obese or not. Then I saw the news video. I was in a total stage of shock. Still am. I don't think I'll ever get that image out of my head of a dog who manuevers like a beach master bull elephant seal because it's the only way to move that much bulk around. I understand that the owner will be charged for neglect, in leaving the dog outside all night. But they are also pressing charges for animal abuse, because overfeeding a dog to the point that he can't even walk is just as abusive as purposely starving an animal.

I saw that too... pretty gross. Poor dog.

I told Jade I was going to feed her until she was 150 lbs (for a Border Collie?!?!!), she just looked at me and ran away. :rolleyes:

ETA: Andrea, apparently some of the neighbors tried to help, but gave up after the dog tried to bite them :S

It pains me that so many pets suffer due to ignorant, unthinking, stupid or downright cruel people. I cant even begin to fathom what goes on in the minds of some people. Animals seem to be disposable, mindless and unfeeling beings to some people. Cruelty and ignorance towards animals is just intolerable.

As I watched this story on the news I though a fitting punishment for the owner would be to leave her outside for the night and see how she likes it, but maybe that would be too mean and evil. I can't even imagine what that poor fat bc went through all night being stuck to the sidewalk. Some people shouldn't have animals.

Samantha

This may have been addressed and I missed it. What's going to happen to the Border Collie now? Will he/she (?) be put on a diet or is is it too late? Has there been too much damage, physically, to rehabilitate the poor thing? How could that woman not know what she was doing to that dog? Probably thought she was showing it "love" by feeding it whatever it wanted. Sad. :rolleyes:

Oddly enough, shortly after this story appeared on the news, I was reading a dog story by James Herriot in which a poor dog was left in a shed for months before being rescued. The part that got me was that the authorities in that case were just going to fine the owner and take the dog. When Herriot reacted with horror that this was the worst that was going to happen to the owner, he was told that the owner was simple-mminded and lived with his mother who didn't have much more of a clue. So I hope that's what was going on in Jiffy's case, that the owner just felt like plying the dog with food was giving it love. I mean, most people who neglect dogs and leave them out in the weather usually have skinny malnourished dogs. So I really want to give this woman the benefit of the doubt and hope she wasn't intelligent enough to know better.

My question then becomes, why didn't a neighbor intervene or call authorities before the dog hit 120 pounds??? I can't assume they are all simpletons too....

I can't seem to find any updates on the dog.

Although I haven't been keeping up closely with this story, I did see a member of the rescue board contacted the shelter about Jiffy and received this reply (which she posted there).

Thank you for your inquiry about Jiffy. He is here at the shelter being kept warm, fed, given medical attention and best of all, the love and compassion of caring people like YOU!

Jiffy is not yet available for adoption. He will need on-going care here at the Sheboygan County Humane Society while the authorities are considering his case.

During these hard financial times, Jiffy and all our other animals at our shelter are in need of your help. If you have the ability share what you have with Jiffy and his pals here in the shelter, they would all be so grateful for your donation. We are a private non-profit organization so your gift is tax deductible.

If you are interested in donating you can mail it to us at: Sheboygan County Humane Society, 3107 N. 20th Street, Sheboygan, WI 53083. We can also accept your gift by Visa or MasterCard over the phone. You can visit our website at http://www.myschs.com and click on the “You Can Help!” tab to donate.

Jiffy thanks you very much for your concern and we all send our best wishes.

Carey Payne

SCHS Shelter Manager

Here's the link: BCR discussion of Jiffy.

So I hope that's what was going on in Jiffy's case, that the owner just felt like plying the dog with food was giving it love.

Hi,

I have relatives that are the food is love type people....Every one of their dogs end up so grossly overweight they can barely waddle around, just like poor Jiffy! I have tried to explain to them how terribly bad this is for their dogs, but they don't think they are that fat....Their vet has also tried to get them to put the dogs on diets, which they do, briefly, but very shortly it's back to lots of treats and leftovers with their kibble.....They are wonderful, intelligent people and I don't understand how they just don't get it???

Janet

ETA: Andrea, apparently some of the neighbors tried to help, but gave up after the dog tried to bite them :S

Ah, ok, they left that out of the report. Still, the owner could have muzzled the dog with something (a towel maybe). Or at least put a blanket or quilt out for the dog ... something, besides just leaving it there .... ???? It's a sad story in so many ways.

We won't know until Dec 22nd.

"An animal-neglect charge could be filed against a Sheboygan woman whose "morbidly obese" border collie survived freezing to a sidewalk last week.

Humane Society officials say 120-pound Jiffy was left outdoors overnight in single-digit temperatures but survived because it was insulated by layers of fat.

Police issued 59-year-old Alice Bigler an ordinance violation for animal neglect. The Sheboygan County district attorney's office says she is scheduled for a Dec. 22 court appearance, when a criminal charge of misdemeanor animal neglect could be filed.

A number for Bigler was disconnected. It wasn't immediately known whether she had a lawyer.

Police say Bigler told them she tried to coax the dog inside but was unable to, and instead checked on it every few hours."

Overfeeding is one thing, but I cant see how this equates to love if the woman is prepared to leave her dog out on a feezing cold night to become stuck to the pavement. I have friends who overfeed their dogs but never would it be left outside like that.

Maybe the dog is just a convenient garbage bin for food scraps. I dont see anything in this story that remotely resembles love. It is cruelty, abuse and neglect to the very core.