BC Boards

Roz' agility debut

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/mmpa...CAT10-08013.flv

Here is a clip of Roz's first run ever at her trial debut in Portland this past weekend - USDAA- - - - other than the fact she decided to sniff and then poo in the corner instead of doing weaves :D ........but the rest of the run was fantastic! I was soooo happy to see her 'turn on' in the trial situation - was a bit worried due to the fact at class she is more interested in the sheep in the next field!! - - and tends to run lackadaisical and distracted - - LOL - - her lil down on table is the cutest thing ever - - of course I am NOT biased!!!!! You can tell how cold it was - 27F that morning - - dragon breath dog!!

Watch until the end - - after she finished her biznez in the corner - I said 'Let's Go'!! - - she took that literally - - over the last jump - out of the arena - - out of the building and headed to the truck!! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA - life is definitely interesting!

(Let's just say.....Tess ( my Aussie)has yet to pull that trick - thank goodness! :rolleyes: Probably just hexed myself)

Here are a couple more videos - - one of Tess in her 2nd place jumpers run - (Jumpers only has tunnels and jumps as opposed to the Std runs which have all the equipment) She missed one jump and had to go back and pick that one up so she ended up a second and a half behind the first place dog - - and Roz in hers (2nd place) - she ran clean!!! ( No mistakes)

Tess

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/mmpa...CAT10-08030.flv

Roz

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/mmpa...CAT10-08029.flv

Tess ended up with 3 - 2nd places and a 4th - - and Roz had a 1st and 2nd - - need to work on those weaves some more - - but all in all it was a fun and sucessful weekend!

mags

ok, I LOVED watching those videos...but not as much as my dogs loved hearing them and running through the house barking wildly while I watched. :D

How DO you people remember what the course is? I only dabbled in agility years ago when everything was North Am. Agility (I hung out with some Jack Russell people who were BIG into it) but I don't remember the courses being so confusing (maybe I'm just getting older...) But I am seriously worried that I will never remember which way to go and which jump to take and which order it's in (considering you sometimes back-track over jumps.) What's the secret???

Well, I really hope more people post more videos, because I really enjoy watching those!!

p.s. you're not a real dog trainer till you've had a dog poop in the ring! :rolleyes::D :D

That was a gorgeous down on the table! She looks fast. Just watch out for her contact on the Aframe. She could have gotten whistle off for "training in the ring" of course I am not to familiar with usdaa rule so maybe thats allow. She ran her contact then jump back into position. Why is she jumping preferred?

SSC

Thanks for the compliments all!!!

To answer a few of your questions - -

How do I remember the courses ?- - well...it has gotten easier over time - I have been trialing about 2 yrs now - maybe 6-8 trials a yr - now I am running two dogs so is a bit more challenging - - we usually have around 10 minutes to walk the course - - I have a method to solidify the run in my mind - - first I just walk looking at the numbers to get the flow - then I walk it with my handling moves added - - front cross here - rear cross there etc - I walk it a few times and then I run it a few more - - after I have done that I stand with my eyes closed and run in it my mind to make sure I have it down - - - - - I am usually putting two courses in my mind - - Roz's are Novice courses so they are simpler and a few less obstacles - - I had plenty of time between runs with the two - - except Sunday morning I knew it would be a close call between Tess's run and then over to the next ring for Roz's - - - off the course with Tess - put her in crate - fly with Roz just in time to hear the ring steward yell "ROZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!" - - HERE!!!!!! and fly in and set her and go - - was crazy!!! They both did great tho - - -

Why is she running Performance??

Due to the fact that she has not been that thrilled with agility up to this point - - - (sure couldn't tell it after seein' that waggin tail!!!!) I decided to jump her at 16'" instead of 22" - - to try to keep it fun and not so much like work - she would have been required to jump 22" in Championship class- after running a 'high drive crazy for agility dog' like Aussie Tess I was surprised to get a border that didn't have the love for the sport like Tess did - - - to be honest - - the reward in agility has up til now not been as great as the reward of sheep in herding - - I might move her up to 22" and/or put her in Championship Class depending on what she shows me over the next yr or so - - -

You are right that I could have been called for Roz reaching her back feet back up on the A-frame - - more than likely she would have been called for 'off course' as the judge could have said she went back on the same obstacle - - judges in USDAA are not so likely to call that an "in ring training" as I had said "Touch" and didn't realize she had slipped off - - in Novice they are a bit more lenient and she didn't call me for the off course - - my trainer's dog did the same thing with teeter in an excellent run and she was called for it - - so I am trying to be careful about it - - on dogwalk in the one run she held her touch but had come all the way off - but she waited and I stayed quiet -- if I would have said Touch again she might have backed up for it - - she is very aware of her feet - -

Thanks again - - and yes - WE LOVE IT!!! It is a kick in the pants and has really helped my relationship with that lil redhead - - she has challenged me time and time again for my place in the pack and working as partners in herding and agility has flipped the switch for her with me and now she seems to be "getting it" ! :rolleyes:

P.S. I hope you and others will continue to post these types of videos. I have watched yours over and over. As a newbie to this sport, I find watching them VERY helpful. :D

Hey beachdogz - great to hear your excitement for the sport and welcome to one of the sports that we do with our dogs that builds a great partnership and makes you feel one with your dog - - as long as you have a great run!!! LOL - - with Tess - my b&w Aussie sometimes I feel as tho she thinks she knows what she is doing and completely ignores me as she goes on with a vengence!

At my Photobucket site I have quite a few runs that you could watch - - you will also see handler mistakes! I swear I am going to get a shirt that says - - " Great Dog - Pity about the Handler!"

A lot of Tess's runs are there as well as other dogs in my group - -

the folder names are Agility and one marked Argus Agility - -

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/mmpa...0-%20Sept%2007/

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/mmpalmer/Agility/

I also have some at my Dropshots site :

http://www.dropshots.com/mmpalmer#

if you scroll down you will see Sno-King runs etc down towards the bottom - - I compete in AKC and USDAA - -

I assist my trainer in teaching - - my classes are the Introduction to Agility at the beginners level - - if you have any questions about training I might be able to answer them for you - -

my email is mmpalmer@hotmail.com - please state agility in the title of any emails so I don't dump them!!

By linking to my photo sites I thought it best so not taking up a bunch of space here on the board - -

#1??? Have FUN!!!! :rolleyes:

Congrats on the baby dog debut! I was at that trial too, and my baby dog was in P2 with yours... Rave was the loud barky one (she's pictured in my avatar) and I was the one who could barely walk b/c of back pain lol. Glad to see you got one of the few Q's in that Sunday Adv/P2 jumpers run.... the judge miscalculated the course yardage and not many Q'd because of the incorrect times. We've notified USDAA and they should be adjusting the results.

Are you doing the RAT USDAA trial next month? If so, we'll try to say HI! :-)

-Laura, Wick & Rave

Nice job!! Thanks for posting the videos - they were fun to watch! I've never done or seen USDAA, so they are extra interesting!!

I really, really like that Jumpers course in particular and you did a great job on it.

Well done you and your baby dog

I am still waiting on some of the vids to load but I love watching different handling by people

Espech now that its less than a month till Bens (and my) 1st agility comp

we have not even been training a year yet so I dont expect great things of us, but I will hopefully get a video for you all to giggle at

I still have trouble a bit figuring out where to go - I find it easier to watch people than walk the course (wont be able to do that cos we are 2nd in one of our runs) but my biggest trouble is always the fear that I will go flying over a wing when I missjudge a turn for me

Oh and Ben got measured last month - he is a medium size so we dont have to do high jumps and we arnt against full collies !!

I still have trouble a bit figuring out where to go - I find it easier to watch people than walk the course (wont be able to do that cos we are 2nd in one of our runs) but my biggest trouble is always the fear that I will go flying over a wing when I missjudge a turn for me

Experience is the best teacher. You'll get better at it the more trials you run in.

I can even remember certain courses now that Maddie and I ran a year ago! Not all of them, but some stand out in my mind.

LOL that's funny Kristine - i too can remember some of the courses from long ago - - most likely they were the ones I screwed up on - - hahahaa

Speaking of running into a jump - - on a FAST course with AKC I DID slam into a wing jump right after a front cross - - the jump went completely down and Tess looked at me like - - "now what the heck am I spose to do with that??" Was hilarious - - and if you can't laugh at yourself than why do it? LOL :rolleyes:

Very nice debut! Yay Baby Dog!

But I have to say, I just LOVED Tess's Jumpers run. Watching a fast aussie blasting through a course always puts a smile on my face. :D

Can you believe that run didn't make time in P2 (who gets 3 extra seconds)? USDAA wouldn't change the results even though the recorded course yardage was wrong. :rolleyes:

See you at KeeGee's??

That's insane! So did anyone make time because if they did, they must have been scary fast. Tess appeared to be flying. Did I mention how much I love a fast aussie?

On the flip side of that story, I remember at one NADAC trial, the results said that Bear was 12 seconds under time in Standard, and that he went 5.3 YPS. I don't know if you remember seeing Bear run but ... well, let's just say that he has 15 second weave poles and I usually ran the outside of the curved tunnels. And still made my front crosses. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to be at Kee-Giggs. Probably will do one day at PAC in November, then both days in December. Am currently ensconced in a Travelodge in Auburn, wondering what weird things Wick is going to do to me at this weekend's tournament. Yes, that's right, she's running barkball!!! Oh well, at least there are those gorgeous fields in which to run the dogs. Gulp. Pray for us.

That's insane! So did anyone make time because if they did, they must have been scary fast. Tess appeared to be flying. Did I mention how much I love a fast aussie?

INSANE is right!!!!!!!! - - no Tess did NOT "Q" in that run -(I mismarked the video) - even tho you are right she WAS flying - and I LOVE my fast aussie a ton! - - - she ran it in 31.05 sec - - out of both classes - - PII and Advanced - - only 5 dogs "Q'd" - - we were all standing at the board looking at the results after hanging out and waiting before taking off for home - - it was the last run of the day - - and my g/f said "hmmm they must have forgotten to mark the Q's on these pages "- - - nooooooooooooo right here Bodie Q'd with a 29.5 sec - - hmmmmmmmm - - then she said - - "Oh we didn't make time " - - WHAT?????? A 31 sec not making time????" - -as you can see Tess loves jumpers and I will say she has NEVER not made time - - - what the heck WAS the max time? 30 SEC - :D What the *@#$#$**$& ?????????????????? So off we go to talk to the judge - - - we ask her if the max time was correct on that jumpers run ??

Okay - - here is her answer - -" Yes ............it is correct - - you people are going to have to start learning to shave jumps etc or you are going to die when you get over to Advanced??????" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We would never GET to Advanced if we only had judges like her that does not admit to a mistake on her figures - - yardage etc - - The least this judge could have done was double check her figures - - but no she is obviously the type that is NEVER WRONG and would never admit it if she was! :rolleyes: GRRRRRRRRRRRRR - - hahahha - - now I am all worked up over this AGAIN!!! :D HAHAHAHAHA!!

So...........we go to our trainer's trainer who is there running her dogs - - she is also a judge - - and say - - "hey Jill do you think JJ Q'd on his jumpers run??" " Well of course - he was clean and fast - of course he did!" "Well guess again girl!"

Her answer to the whole thing?? That judge will NEVER see the Pacific NW again! Knowing she has the power to make sure of that is some consolation.

My whole take on this incident?? I have always said that in agility the judge did not make as much difference to me as they would in say a "Pretty Dog Show" - - I have never checked to see who judges were etc - as I have always been very impressed in AKC as well as in USDAA - - but I would tell you - if I saw this gal's name on a trial I would not go - - -

As a graduate of the Univ of Nebr - - my statement at the end of the weekend? "Well Texas Tech tromped on my Huskers ...........and a Texas judge tromped on our dogs!"

I am truly sorry to hear that the time was not changed to remedy this situation and give "Q's" to those of us who earned them! I was hoping the USDAA would make these changes - - - I guess this will give me time to work on 'slicing jumps'! HAHAHAHHAHA!

Yes - I will be in Elma in Nov for the USDAA there and am keeping my fingers crossed we have great judges rather than mediocre ones unwilling to correct their mistakes - - - -hope you have fun up there at Argus - spose to be great autumn weather this weekend - - - hopefully we can put this all behind us and get some "Q's" in Elma!!! :D

On the flip side of that story, I remember at one NADAC trial, the results said that Bear was 12 seconds under time in Standard, and that he went 5.3 YPS. I don't know if you remember seeing Bear run but ... well, let's just say that he has 15 second weave poles and I usually ran the outside of the curved tunnels. And still made my front crosses. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to be at Kee-Giggs. Probably will do one day at PAC in November, then both days in December. Am currently ensconced in a Travelodge in Auburn, wondering what weird things Wick is going to do to me at this weekend's tournament. Yes, that's right, she's running barkball!!! Oh well, at least there are those gorgeous fields in which to run the dogs. Gulp. Pray for us.

Probably a good thing Kristie... they had a ton of dogs enter so first dog on line at SEVEN frickin AM! wtf? canucks getting up EARLY? what's wrong with this picture? Gee maybe because most of the trials up there have gone to Masters only??? Lemme tell you that SUCKS for those of us not in Masters yet. Those clubs need to get up off their lazy asses and host a real trial. grrrr.....

Yeah someone put that Jumpers course in CRCD and got an additional 40-some yards for dog's path. methinks the judge missed a loop when wheeling. If you look at the results on the USDAA page (CAT, Ridgefield, WA), EVERY single dog who NQ'd did so because of time faults, not course faults. When have you EVER seen that?

INSANE is right!!!!!!!! - - no Tess did NOT "Q" in that run -(I mismarked the video) - even tho you are right she WAS flying - and I LOVE my fast aussie a ton! - - - she ran it in 31.05 sec - - out of both classes - - PII and Advanced - - only 5 dogs "Q'd"

Well, that is ridic! I certainly would not go to a trial with that judge again.

IIRC, the Advanced Jumpers times are pretty nice for a fairly efficient dog, and 31.05 sounds reasonable to me (not knowing the yardage, of course, but based on what I saw on that video, your dog appeared to be going above 5 YPS, which should be MORE than adequate in an Advanced - or Masters - Jumpers course).

hope you have fun up there at Argus - spose to be great autumn weather this weekend

Oh my gosh, it is SO NICE this weekend! I was running in short sleeves in that barn, and was getting quite hot when I was running my dogs in the big field. Auburn in autumn is heaven, apparently.

Probably a good thing Kristie... they had a ton of dogs enter so first dog on line at SEVEN frickin AM! wtf? canucks getting up EARLY?

On the line at 7 a.m.? I am on my pillow at that hour! Wow, they must have a lot of dogs to put through. On behalf of Canada, I apologize. OTOH, you can once again buy a lot of stuff with your US dollar. Maybe you could buy an hour more of sleep? :rolleyes:

If you look at the results on the USDAA page (CAT, Ridgefield, WA), EVERY single dog who NQ'd did so because of time faults, not course faults. When have you EVER seen that?

Never, to be honest. In fact, I have always thought that Jumpers times should be a little tighter (yes, even when I ran Bear), but that still wouldn't preclude most dogs who run an efficient, smooth course from Q'ing. What a shame that they won't revisit the situation.

I was at that trial too for a bit (spectating). I believe I heard some Important People say that judge wouldn't be invited back. I personally witnessed what I believe was the same judge miss several obvious faults (contacts, bobble in the middle of the weaves). Every judge misses an occasional blip, but this was multiple times in the same class, and pretty much everyone around me saw the same glitches I did.

On the line at 7 a.m.? I am on my pillow at that hour! Wow, they must have a lot of dogs to put through. On behalf of Canada, I apologize. OTOH, you can once again buy a lot of stuff with your US dollar. Maybe you could buy an hour more of sleep? :rolleyes:

Actually I can on Sunday morning, since it's the time change. ;-) Familiarization Saturday is at SIX AM. I want to put the girls on the slatless since we don't do that that much.

I was surprised to see the Canadian dollar had fallen back down again, sucks for you guys, but I can't deny I'm happy about it!

I was at that trial too for a bit (spectating). I believe I heard some Important People say that judge wouldn't be invited back. I personally witnessed what I believe was the same judge miss several obvious faults (contacts, bobble in the middle of the weaves). Every judge misses an occasional blip, but this was multiple times in the same class, and pretty much everyone around me saw the same glitches I did.

WOW you came down from Alaska???? Are you going to be at any other trials in WA or OR?

And the other judge had that weird gamblers rule on Saturday with a failed combo negating any subsequent opening points. :rolleyes: NEVER heard of a rule like that, especially at that level. Luckily Rave had enough points before I did only 1/2 of the combo (I wasn't at the briefing since walking in the other ring), so she still Q'd even with losing some opening points. Weeeeird judges. I know several CAT members, and no one wanted those judges back. Even the Masters judge was being a snit at times (not to me, but to a friend).