BC Boards

Adopting A Rescue Dog

Whereas I started this unfortunate thread, may I have the privilege of ending it with a summary based on the insights I have gained from other contributors to this thread, and hope that Eileen will lock it once and for all, as the entire discussion is getting out of hand? To support my points, I will, where appropriate, quote people involved in rescue, so that I cannot be accused of making arbitrary or uninformed statements.

I don't see this thread as getting out of hand at all. To me, its just another thread that has morphed from the original post and contains interesting discussion. I don't think this discussion is unfortunate at all. As often happens, the discussion changes and no longer directly relates to the OP. I don't think the discussion needs to stop at all. In fact, I would like to add one point that hasn't really been touched on in this discussion:

When someone is looking for a new pet and checking out rescue websites, the tendency is to look for a pet that appeals to them, then inquire about adopting. I would like to offer a different approach, especially when going through rescue. Contact the rescue, fill out an application and discuss with them what you want in a dog and what you can and will provide for that dog, then see what the rescue has to offer. They know their dogs and you may be surprised to find that a dog you would have overlooked on a website is really a wonderful match for you when introduced to it.

When I adopted Speedway, I didn't have internet access at the time, so I contacted rescue the old fashioned way: by phone. We discussed what I was looking for and what I could offer (apartment, no yard, but lots of parks nearby), what I wanted (a buddy to hike with and possibly compete in obedience & agility). She then gave me a brief description of a few dogs they had that she felt might be a good match and we scheduled a day for me to go out and meet them. The dog I adopted (it was love at first sight), turned out to be the dog that she felt was probably going to be the best match when we talked on the phone.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve given this thread a lot of thought, and I can’t weigh in on this for one side or the other… because I can see and know both sides. I have a friend who has done rescue for over 20 years and I know the pleasures and pitfalls of that work. And I was at one time a very limited breeder and I, too, was very, very picky about where my puppies went; trying to place the right personality puppy with the right personality owner.

On the other side, I also found a dog I liked on the internet thru a Rescue. I sent a detailed letter regarding my qualifications and why I thought I would be a good home. I put a lot of time and heart into that letter. I never got a personal reply; just a form letter with an application to fill out. Yes, I know that rescue personnel are volunteers, over-worked, and live their own lives, too. But that just left a bad taste for me. I didn’t take it personally…I just moved on as was suggested in a previous post. My new dog has a very good home…but that first dog also could have had a good home if someone would have taken a little time to just respond to me personally.

So here’s a thought for Bustopher and for those who have been turned down or turned off by a particular rescue (or humane group.) I am a true believer in destiny. If I had gotten that first dog that I inquired about, I never would have known the remarkable dog I have now, and who I truly believe I was destined to have.

I believe some things are just out of our control, and that things happen for a reason. That was not your dog, Bustopher. Your destiny dog is still out there, and it will come to you…just as both of mine came to me! :rolleyes:

If I had gotten that first dog that I inquired about, I never would have known the remarkable dog I have now, and who I truly believe I was destined to have.

I believe some things are just out of our control, and that things happen for a reason. That was not your dog, Bustopher. Your destiny dog is still out there, and it will come to you…just as both of mine came to me! :rolleyes:

I agree with this 100%, i originally wanted a mastiff and there was one at the local aspca, but right after i got there, 2 guys came from 2 hours away just to see this dog, and i could tell that they just clicked with the dog, and him with them, so i told them that they should take him(they had said that they didn't want to take him if i wanted to because i got there first) and they did,and i know that he has a wonderful home with them, so i went back in to look at some of the other dogs there, and i walked past a Shepard and he just kept following me with his eyes as i walked around, so after my second time around i decided to take him out, he was very sweet, but strong and clumsy, ended up that someone else adopted him right before me(while i was still deciding) i was very upset because i really did like him, but he would have been too much of a klutz with the baby, so as upset as i was at the time, it was only a few weeks later that i found Gretchen, and if i had taken the Shepard i never would have found my BC who i love so very much, everything happens for a reason, and i'm sure that when you find that perfect dog it will work out :-)

I'm trying to think of how to add to this and the best way I can think of is from experience on both sides.

Gene is from a pound I rescued her because she was very very preggo and she had lymes, mats, kennel cough which she gave to her kids, gene is fearful and cries when I take her in public and if pushed beyond a point will show signs of agression. She is the perfect dog to live out her life here. She is 10 times more well behaved than my young dogs.

I've gone with mom to Glen highlands and they show you a number of dogs and well you and the dog choose each other. It was so obvious the Penny wanted to go home with mom. Even though her mom was an equal match and a puppy took to us that evended up staying a long time with the Gln highlands system due to her shyness. We also looked at males who were fearful of our dogs. That in thier proper home are wonderful and out perform what we could have ever gotten from them.

We use a similar adoption situation to Glen highlands. I want to show you your choice dog but, I'd also like you to meet a few others that might meet your cirteria. It gives you a better way to choose a good dog. Since I dont have only purebreds I might show you a high mix. If you are too elderly to handle the dog you visually picked I might show you an older dog too that will still do what your ultimate goal is. What my goal is an open honest communication between both parties.

Now if you have asked me for a purebred puppy and your very young like under the legal adoption age you live on a second story in the city with a park that is pretty far form your home. I'm going to have to tell you no I cant adopt to you.

I'm also going to have to say no if you havent taken your dog to the vet in years and cant back up any medical info. I dont want to spend the rescues hard earned cash recovering a dog from heartworm only to send her near a large body of water to people who wont keep her on preventatives. Yes this has been asked and yes I've been accused of all sort awful things because of it. I've even had a crazy woman file a false abuse report on a hotline. People have to realize that for every 5 complements we get there is a negative person waiting to kick us in the pants. No reference to anyone here just an honest statement.

I’ve given this thread a lot of thought, and I can’t weigh in on this for one side or the other…

I don't think there is any need to weigh on one side or the other. The bottom line is, it's all about the dogs. You sure would not want to adopt a dog that will end up unhappy living with you? Good applicants will work with us to determine just that. It's really simple. We value our applicants/adopters and hopefully our adopters value what we do. Some of our applicants/adopters become volunteers and some of our volunteers become adopters. There are no sides, we come together to help the rescue dogs.

On the other side, I also found a dog I liked on the internet thru a Rescue. I sent a detailed letter regarding my qualifications and why I thought I would be a good home. I put a lot of time and heart into that letter. I never got a personal reply; just a form letter with an application to fill out. Yes, I know that rescue personnel are volunteers, over-worked, and live their own lives, too. But that just left a bad taste for me. I didn’t take it personally…I just moved on as was suggested in a previous post. My new dog has a very good home…but that first dog also could have had a good home if someone would have taken a little time to just respond to me personally.

I am sorry your feelings got hurt in the process of applying for a rescue dog, and I am not the one to defend rescues that are rude to their applicants. However, if a rescue asks for a filled out application, please send a filled out application and not a letter. There is a reason for why rescues have clear application processes -- it protects volunteers' time. Most volunteers have full time jobs, families, their own dogs and foster dogs... on top of that, many deal with intake calls, with fundraising, evaluate dogs in shelters/homes, do home visits, spend hours and hours of their free time by transporting dogs and mend booths at public events. There is simply not enough time in each day to send warm and fuzzy emails back to every email/letter we get. We try, but we ask you to help us and respect our time by following some simple procedures... having a filled out application on file tells us you are reasonably committed to working with us.

I believe some things are just out of our control, and that things happen for a reason.

But how do you know it is out of your control unless you apply? It's not like we tell every applicant they cannot have the dog they like, and push another one on them. It doesn't work out that way. Quite often the dog you apply for will be the right match -- especially if you carefully read the dog's bio and consider your own situation. Contrary to popular belief, we do not have hundreds of applications lined up for each dog. The easy dogs (good with kids, dogs, cats, housebroken, crate trained, good recall etc.) get the most applications and we will be able to select the closest match -- which will inevitably make some applicants unhappy. But if you can deal with some issues and the dog fits into your home situation, you are pretty likely to adopt the dog you like.

That was not your dog, Bustopher.

What dog, Beachdogz? I don't think Bustopher ever applied for one, so I am not quite sure why you keep bringing this up?

Petra (NEBCR)

I've gone with mom to Glen highlands and they show you a number of dogs and well you and the dog choose each other. It was so obvious the Penny wanted to go home with mom. Even though her mom was an equal match and a puppy took to us that evended up staying a long time with the Gln highlands system due to her shyness. We also looked at males who were fearful of our dogs. That in thier proper home are wonderful and out perform what we could have ever gotten from them.

I went through this process, as well, and it was really a great experience.

First I applied and was approved. There was no talk of dogs until that happened.

Then I told them which dogs I thought would "fit" from the descriptions on the website. Since they agreed that those were good candidates for me, those were the five dogs we met when we went up.

When we got there, we met one dog at a time. Each dog got to meet us and our dogs. We spent a good deal of time with each dog. The first one just didn't do it for me. Interestingly, he was the one I had expected to take home!!! We didn't connect at all. The second one . . . well, I fell in love with him the second he ran up and gave me a hug. He was interested in us and interested in our dogs, he just seemed like he belonged. I didn't want to be hasty, though, so we had the next dog brought out - a nice girl, but not the one. Then we saw a young male that I also liked a lot. He also gave a great hug and interacted nicely with everyone. He suddenly made the decision very difficult. Then we saw another male that we just knew was all wrong for us.

From there, we arranged to meet the two that we had connected with in an indoor area. I asked for the first of the two that we had met first. He was with us for just a few minutes and we both completely knew that Dean was our dog.

My point is that different rescues determine a good match in different ways. Personally, I would not go through a rescue that did not allow me some input in the early stages when the decision about which dogs I am going to meet. I like that GHF gives the approved potential adoptor the opportunity to do that. If they had suggested another dog to me, I would have added him or her to the list and met the dog. If they had felt that one of the dogs was not right for me, I would have taken that into careful consideration.

(ETA - I am not talking about the policies of NEBCR in the paragraph above. I am not familiar with their adoption process. The statement was a general one.)

In the end a perfect match was made. The dog got what was best for him and I got a dog that fit my criteria. The fact that they took both the dog and the potential adoptor into account during the process made for the best experience I've ever had adopting a dog.

I'm not putting down rescues who do things differently. Kudos to all of those who work hard to find good homes for these dogs.

What I am saying that if you, as a potential adoptor, do not like one rescue's policies, do try another. They are not all the same (at least in the US) and if you look hard enough, you should be able to find the dog that is perfect for you and for whom you are a perfect match.

Anyone remember that song, "This Is The Song That Never Ends?" Sing it with me..."This is the post that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends..." :rolleyes::D:D

Why does it have to end. I think everyone is in agreement that Bustopher has appologized enough but, there is a door opened to discuss rescue here. I said earlier in the forum that I tenaively approved by Glen highlands but, then couldnt meet the agreement that required all family members to attend. Then I figured out why they have that rule. Same with small kids. I've had people tell me their kids are super dog svyonly to get to my home and all of them complain when a puppy puts their dirty paws on their pants.

For one person it might be a hug that seals a deal for another like me it's the understanding that this is your dog it wont be perfect,it will shed,it might have an accidnet in your house. Tell me you realized this is a dog and not a doll.

I don't think there is any need to weigh on one side or the other. We value our applicants/adopters and hopefully our adopters value what we do.

I never said that you, personally, didn't value adopters or that they value what you do. And there are two sides in this issue: adoption agencies and adoptors.

I am sorry your feelings got hurt in the process of applying for a rescue dog, and I am not the one to defend rescues that are rude to their applicants.

I never said my feelings got hurt. I never even said anyone was rude to me. I said that it left me with a bad taste, but "that I didn't take it personally" and I moved on. So, no, my feelings were not hurt...not in the least bit.

There is simply not enough time in each day to send warm and fuzzy emails back to every email/letter we get.

hmmm...did I not say that I understand that: and I quote "Yes, I know that rescue personnel are volunteers, over-worked, and live their own lives, too."

What dog, Beachdogz? I don't think Bustopher ever applied for one, so I am not quite sure why you keep bringing this up?

I do not keep bringing it up. It's the first time I ever said it. I believe (unless I read it wrong) that Bustopher saw a dog that he thought he would like to adopt; he did not pursue it because he did not think he would qualify due to what he read on the website. That is the dog I am referring to. I think that was the point of the whole thread; that he never felt he could apply.

You know, some people here are getting pretty defensive over this issue. I would be willing to bet everything I've got in the bank that there is not a person here who does not respect and honor the work humane agents and rescue personnel do. I certainly do. I'm sure you feel you have been attacked. And...some of the people on this thread who have a position as applicants or potential applicants feel they have been attacked, also.

Here's something to think about: nobody's perfect....people or agencies. You're hearing things from people who are looking at websites, or applying, or had bad experiences. Instead of calling them "sour grapes", it never hurts to re-evaluate parts of the process. I didn't go to the website, so I don't know what it says. Maybe it should be explained better as to why the process is as it is. I would assume you wouldn't want to miss out on potentially good homes because of misunderstandings. I don't believe that anyone is trying to "diss" on rescue organizations.

As for my letter (and it wasn't to your organization, by the way), no one needed to send me any "warm and fuzzy emails"...I'm really not a warm and fuzzy person anyway. :rolleyes: However, an e-mail that addressed me BY NAME and that said, "Thank you for such a great letter" or "Thank you for your interest...you sound like a potentially good home" or "Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your background" would not have taken any more time than 10 seconds. I work in marketing. My initial contact with the client is EVERYTHING. I took the time to write a thoughtful, personal letter and got an impersonal reply. That's just bad business, no matter what business you're in!

Actually, my response was directed to Bustopher to show him that the right dog is out there waiting for him....it was not to personally offend you. I believe you try your best to place dogs. Honest.

Anyone remember that song, "This Is The Song That Never Ends?" Sing it with me..."This is the post that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends..."

Anyone who thinks that there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine should take a look at this thread... :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks that there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine should take a look at this thread... :rolleyes:

If you would get past the thought that this discussion is still about you, you might realize that this is simply discussion. This thread doesn't need to end just because you want it to.

For one person it might be a hug that seals a deal for another like me it's the understanding that this is your dog it wont be perfect,it will shed,it might have an accidnet in your house. Tell me you realized this is a dog and not a doll.

LOLOLOL!!! I'm assuming this comment was not directed at me but that it is general, even though I was the one who gave the example of the hugs.

But it makes me chuckle all the same.

If I had expected a doll, Dean, who entered our home for the first time and promptly jumped up to check out the counter and then let himself out into the potty yard through the storm door, would not have lasted five minutes. Nor would have have lasted the full solid month he could not be out of my sight for a full minute because he was into everything he shouldn't be, he harassed Speedy, he chewed, he tore, he threw flatware and dishes out of the sink, nothing was safe on a counter, he could not keep his feet on the floor while I prepared dog meals, he tried to eat off of our plates, he crashed into and out of doors, and on top of it all he was grabby . . . you get the picture. He spent much of the first month here attached to me by a leash and then it was slow going to build up periods of time out of my sight.

I expected a dog and I certainly ended up with a behavior project the likes of which I had never imagined. But I have to say - those Dean Dog hugs certainly made that stage much, much easier than it would have been otherwise. I couldn't not love him to pieces in the midst of it all and that gave me the patience to teach him how to be a civilized dog!

Sorry for the tangent, but I did want to make it clear that we went into the adoption with eyes open and were willing to accept him and work with him bag and baggage. It was worth everything it took. He's my best behaved dog now. Better than a doll! And he still gives GREAT hugs!! :rolleyes::D :D

If you would get past the thought that this discussion is still about you,

And if you knew anything about me after all the posts I have contributed to this board, and read the post in the spirit in which it was written (instead of being in such a hurry to flame me), you would have realized that I have a sense of humor, and was simply trying to inject some levity into the conversation. (That's why I put the wink after the statement). But I suppose that subtelty escapes those who prefer ad hominem attacks on fellow posters...

I have been following this thread for a while and i wasn't going to comment but then i thought maybe i would share my experience. I had a 10 year old bc cross and was looking to add another dog. I thought i wanted an young adult female and spent months online looking at rescue websites and looking for my perfect girl (as much as one can based on a picture and a description). I found a dog that had been in rescue for months and contacted the rescue person. We emailed back and forth; i sent an application and was told that i looked like a great potential home. The rescue was about a 1000 km from where i live and i could not make the drive for a few more weeks but i was under the impression that i would be contacted should anyone else be interested so that i could somehow make my way down there if i really wanted to. Finally the time came for me to arrange my meeting with the dog and i was told that she had been placed with another couple that were a perfect match. I was crushed. I had spent weeks visualizing how she would fit into our lives.

BUT i understood that this person was doing what she knew to be best. She did not know me. She did not know that i would have done absolutely everything to make my dog happy. She had my application but what do you really know from a piece of paper or a few emails. So i shed a few tears and continued to look for my next dog. Somewhere along the line we realised that maybe a male puppy might be far easier to integrate into our family. There was nothing in rescue near us so we started to search through shelters. We found a photo and description of Orbit and i just felt something (the same thing i had felt for Ellie Mae - the other dog we wanted). This shelter was also about 1000 km away and we went to get him sight unseen. But we are the kind of people that were going to make it work no matter what. We've had him for almost three months now and it is hard to imagine that we could ever have thought about a different dog. Sometimes things just happen for a reason.

I guess i am looking at this from an emotional point of view. Both the rescue/shelter workers love animals and the dogs they work with in particular and the adopters do as well. I also think i would have loved any dog that came to live with me that could fit into my life. That is where rescue is so helpful (especially when you are talking about older dogs or dogs with special needs) to ensure that you do not fall in love with a dog that is wrong and then have to go through the heartbreaking process of giving that dog up. Thank you to everyone that loves their dogs as well as the ones that are temporarily in their care.

Cheers,

Iva

And if you knew anything about me after all the posts I have contributed to this board, and read the post in the spirit in which it was written (instead of being in such a hurry to flame me), you would have realized that I have a sense of humor, and was simply trying to inject some levity into the conversation. (That's why I put the wink after the statement). But I suppose that subtelty escapes those who prefer ad hominem attacks on fellow posters...

Your post didn't come across to me in the spirit you wrote it.

My post wasn't written as an attack, but more as an irritated comment at what I saw as your attempt to discourage people from continuing to post on this thread.

It seems we both misread each other's posts.

Lets move on....

Over the years, I have adopted 2 border collies from rescue, they were not specifically BC rescues, just rescues, but I had no problems picking the dog I was interested in and getting the one Id picked. I met with, talked with and dealt with very knowledgable and friendly folks, that listened to me and dealt with me in a timely manner, and I had my dog's of choice both times within a few days to a week. Would the problems that folks are having be with breed specific rescues or rescues as a whole. I havent adopted from rescue for many years, but I cant imagine much has changed. Are the rules becoming more stringent, or is choosing a potential adopter becoming more scrutinized.

Are the rules becoming more stringent, or is choosing a potential adopter becoming more scrutinized.

What rules? I think this thread has emphasized time and time again that every rescue is a unique entity. There are no hard and fast rules that apply universally to rescue. Not even, sadly, a concern for the animals' welfare. Not every rescue is a good one. And even that statement is pretty liberal on my part, because what maybe I don't think is a good rescue, others think is fabulous. Nothing escapes our own biases in life.

But the point is, sometimes stuff works out in your (the universal "you" here) favour, and sometimes it does not. This applies to all areas of our lives. Did you get every job you ever applied for? Have you ever gone to a store and they were out of something or didn't have your size? We are all disappointed at some point, about something, on a fairly regular basis, because things didn't go our way. This is what happens with rescue as well. If there is 1 dog that 5 people want, 4 are going to be disappointed. If the lucky one is you, do you think those other 4 people are justified in moaning about how *horrible* the rescue is for not giving the dog to them? No you don't - you think "the rescue made the right decision." Until the time comes when you are one of the unlucky 4, then suddenly the rescue is the shits. And then inexplicably, ALL rescues are the shits! WTH?

RDM

Oiy, yes. To coin a phrase from my fave J. Dep film,.....thier not really rules, their more like.... guide lines. :rolleyes:

LOLOLOL!!! I'm assuming this comment was not directed at me but that it is general, even though I was the one who gave the example of the hugs.

But it makes me chuckle all the same.

Absolutely not made at anyone but, the people who come in open toe shoes wearing white and their best sweater. :rolleyes: Most days by the time adoptions come around I'm so dirty I cant imagine what anyone thinks of me. I'm beginning to think the bank may begin to ask me to use the drive thru only.lol

Are the rules becoming more stringent, or is choosing a potential adopter becoming more scrutinized.

I think the real thing is that the process is becoming better understood and more sophisticated in general, and rescues are sharing their knowledge, especially via internet. It's either deliberate, in message boards and mailing lists, or informally via cribbing of each other's information from websites. This tends, I suspect, to not only increase the uniformity of the process, but probably helps make it more stringent, too, as each new rescue picks the rules they'll follow - I would suspect that there's a bias towards more conservative rules, as they help prevent mistakes by novices.

Thanks Tranq for answering my question. I was having a difficult time wrapping my mind around how it had become so difficult to adopt from rescue, when neither of my experiences had been all that bad. I thought the folks I had delt with were pretty thorough with applications and expectations, and at one point I had thought some of the stuff had bordered on being rather anal, but I wanted to provide a home to the old farts, and went ahead and bit the bullet and jumped through the hoops. And in doing so, and not taking things to personally, I was able to see that there are/were reasons for the policies to be in place, and Im sure they are there for the sake of the dogs first and foremost. Which is how it should be.

I was having a difficult time wrapping my mind around how it had become so difficult to adopt from rescue.

I cannot speak on behalf of other rescues, but we require (1) that you send in an application, (2) you email/call the foster home(s) that have the dog(s) you are interested in to see if they would be a good match and (3) that you let us schedule a home visit. I don't think it's hard at all!

and at one point I had thought some of the stuff had bordered on being rather anal, but I wanted to provide a home to the old farts.

:rolleyes:

And in doing so, and not taking things to personally, I was able to see that there are/were reasons for the policies to be in place, and Im sure they are there for the sake of the dogs first and foremost. Which is how it should be.

Yep, yep, yep. Again, I can't speak on other rescues' behalf, but at NEBCR, we do not want to torture applicants. Really. :D We just want to make sure that these dogs end up in good homes and live happily ever after.