BC Boards

Am I crazy?

I was at the Vet yesterday to have my little girls' stitches taken out after being spayed (it's about time, now we can finally play again and burn off some of that energy , but while I was there my Vet tried selling me a Border Collie that somebody left there. He is 4 months old, and Presley (my little girl 9 months), is just as cute as can be with this little boy. I am a single guy, I live by myself, how hard would it be to have 2? I've never had 2 dogs at once before, and I have been thinking about adding one. I don't know, good idea, or bad idea?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This depends on your circumstances. Two would be hard in an apartment.

I think two are far easier than one. It's easier emotionally on the dogs. They have each other to play with and all the owner's expectations aren't wrapped up in one dog. You have two hands for petting two at once.

Male and female are a good combination.

You'll have to give some obedience training separately.

The only thing I would think of is the 5 months that separates them.

My girls are only 10 months apart and some times that can be a little much.

I could never just have one but when I do it again I will have more of an age difference between them.

Good luck to you, you only live once you might as well be happy.

Sounds nice to me, especially since the thought of another had already crossed your mind!

Our Celt was 7 months old when we adopted Megan, who was 9 months old. They have been a perfect pair - they are good buddies but both are closely bonded to us humans. They chase and wrestle, play fetch, and just are a great pair. A male and a female (both neutered/spayed) is often the best combination.

When we walk or are working outside, they have each other for play (inside, too, with limitations), but both are responsive to any family member who wants to do something with them.

If you get two *little* pups, sometimes it's an issue that they bond to each other rather than to you, but these dogs are bit older and I think you'd do fine. You just need to remember to spend one-on-one time with each, working on manners and obedience.

If you've got the heart and can do it, I hope you are able to give the little guy a good home and a big "sister"! I don't think your vet would "offer" him to you if he/she didn't think you'd do a wonderful job for both dogs (did you mean "selling" as in selling for a price or just trying to "sell" you on the idea?).

Best wishes with whatever you decide to do!

Is it really a sell?

Sometimes a vet will take a dog and find it a good home - but for free.

2 is very good!

You just have to be very sure that they each get plenty of "alone time" with you (ie without the other dog). Besides the cost of more food and the time you have to spend doing more play/training stuff - if they get along well, and you can handle it - Go for it! :rolleyes:

If you are willing to put in the time with 2 young ones, then you are crazy...but it can be done! Training two young dogs is more difficult, but if you can train separately or take two classes separately it can be done. We adopted Sydney when she was 10 months old and Sarah was 18 months old. I won't lie. It wasn't easy. The first month I kept wondering if we'd done the right thing. The second month, I started to enjoy it. It probably took me a good three to four months before I was thrilled with having a second dog.

It took Sarah even longer to get used to being one of two dogs. Everything was very easy with Sarah as the only dog. We had a nice schedule with her, and we only had to pay for one dog's expenses (classes, vet, food, toys, etc.). It was also an adjustment because Sarah was shy around other dogs. When we first brought Sydney home, Sarah was very jumpy and freaked out.

Despite all of the challenges and adjustments, now things are very good. The girls play together all of the time. Sarah has much more confidence in herself. Sydney learned a lot of things from Sarah, so that was very nice. I do take the girls to separate training classes, so I have a two-day commitment each week to taking them to classes.

Keep us updated.

~Kelly Deneen

Originally posted by PennyT:

This depends on your circumstances. Two would be hard in an apartment.

Why? Why would it be harder than one in an apartment, or 9 in a house? I live in an apartment with 3 and sometimes 5 or 6 border collies and only one of them is old enough to remember living in a house.

I personally would never have two puppies that close in age, no matter where I lived. I like to leave about 3 years between dogs. It's been 3 years since the last one, I am itching for a new addition.

I think it's better to err on the side of caution and not get a second puppy if one has doubts about having two dogs. It't a lot easier to add another adolescent down the line, or even another puppy when you have a mature dog, than to have 2 puppies at once.

RDM

P.S. You already passed crazy when you got the first Border Collie!
DW most heartily endorses that viewpoint! :rolleyes:

Let us know if the neighbors start looking at you weird when they hear you calling out, "Elvis, Presley!"
My brother named his cat Cocaine, and lives in a condo complex. I will leave the rest to your imagination...

Originally posted by GTuck:

You guys are a bad influence on me.

Punish us by posting lots of pictures and making us jealous

I might not go with the Elvis and Presley thing, we'll have to see what kind of personality he has first. How should I introduce the new puppy to Presley, in the back yard? They already met at the Vet, but that's a little different, right?