BC Boards

Am I crazy?

They are both so young I don't think you will have much of an issue. You should see the three I have, all older and set in their ways, walking circles around each other since they were introduced three days ago. It is interesting watching them work on the pack order.

Oh PS: Congrats and have a blast!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did spend some one on one time with Dash last night, it's difficult though. Presley constantly wants to know what is going on. We went down in the basement, and that seemed to work. It's going to be hard to get alone time in the back yard, she goes crazy in the house when I'm out there without her.

Originally posted by GTuck:

I did spend some one on one time with Dash last night, it's difficult though.

Everything is brand new and exciting for all three of you right now! They're both very cute and look like they'll be a boatload of fun.

I'm sure as Dash settles in, you'll figure out the best way to spend that very important one on one time with each dog. I tried leaving Quinn loose in the house when I train the other dogs and I thought he was going to come through the window in his eagerness to get to us. So he's crated -- sometimes in the bedroom, sometimes I bring his travel crate out on the patio -- or tied up while I train the other dogs. But starting out, I think you'd want to have the other dog in another room at least.

I don't have much in the way of tolerance for vocalizations when I'm trying to train another dog. I've found telling the dog to quiet or if they persist smacking the crate and telling the dog to be quiet is very effective. I also praise and offer treats intermittently for quietly waiting their turn. I'm sure a more skilled clicker trainer could train this without aversives, but I'm not that skilled. Also, a couple of friends have trained using only reinforcement for quiet and both their dogs are terrible in their crates. Anyway, I've found that very few of these corrections are needed especially if I do it from the start before bad habits develop.

Oh how cute!!!

RE spending time with each one - Zoe goes nuts when she's left alone in the house or in her crate. If Zeeke's in his crate beside her she's fine, but she can't STAND us taking Zeeke and not her. A lot of that's my fault since she was the youngin, I spent almost all my time with her (either alone or with Zeeke) - and put Zeeke with his daddy in the office sometimes.

Zeeke had some sep. anxiety issues so it took him a year to learn to be quiet and settle down while in his crate. (But now he immediately lays down and naps.) I hope it doesn't take you that long! lol

Originally posted by GTuck:

Should I have their crates next to each other? I have them in seperate rooms right now, is that a bad move?

You know, just to be err on the side of caution, I'd keep them in separate rooms at least for a few months. I'm thinking of the bonding issue. My two shelties were 13 months apart and the younger one ended up more strongly bonded to the older one than to me. This wasn't the end of the world. She was still well bonded to me and would leave him in a second to train or play with me, but I've never had that with a dog. I attribute it to the fact she spent more time with him than with me during her impressionable first year. Of course, tmy dogs were loose in the kitchen/backyard where they could play to their hearts content. Maybe it wouldn't matter if your dogs are in crates. I also think from the standpoint of being able to tolerate being alone, it might be a good idea to keep them in separate rooms at least on occasion.

Good question. I think Liz's point is very valid. I tried doing that at first, for that very reason. We ended up putting both crates side by side after a few months because we wanted the crates in the bedroom instead of out in the living room. She no longer freaks out when going in her crate, and in fact loves it (sleeps in it voluntarily). I think that was in large part due to her copying Zeeke - I mean if he had his own crate and he thought it was cool, well so was hers! But, again, she can't be left alone in there without him beside her or she gets upset. Soooo... cost/benefit.

I think you are wonderful for giving this little guy a loving and forever home. And thanks to your vet, who had pity on him and found him the "right home" with you!

Best wishes for all of you in your new (and sometimes chaotic) life together!

George and Cocoa have their crates right next to each other. After the first 3 days separated I moved them side by side. I once tried to separate them because Cocoa felt she should be able to use both of them but George could only use his which confused the poor boy, but then neither of them knew which one to use, so back they went.If your confused imagine poor George! Now with all pack issued settled they use their own and yes they are side by side. Whew!

Toni

I ended up putting them side by side, it seems to be working out ok. Now feeding time, this is been a little difficult as well. I was feeding them seperately one in their crate, one eats. This created a lot of noise from the one in the crate. I then tried feeding them at the same time out ot their crates, this was alright, but Presley finished Dash's food, because she can eat faster. No food agression, but still not ideal. This morning I fed them in their crates at the same time. How do you guys do it?

Actually, one more question. They are all over each other all the time. Is this normal? They hardly ever take a break, unless I sepearate them. It's not super agressive, every once and a while there is a yelp, but that's kind of expected, right?