BC Boards

Nylon or Leather

Leather or Nylon  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer leather or nylon collars and leashes for everyday wear?

• Nylon
    • Leather

Time to buy some new collars and leashes. I usually buy nylon but I may get some nice leather ones this time. Just curious what everyone else prefers for everyday wear and walking.

cotton webbing is the cheap and best training lead imo. Don't like nylon, leather tends to get expensive when you're tossing it here and there in the course of training multiple dogs. It also has to be broken in - which means by the time I do it, I lose it.

eta: I prefer leather collars, but I have an assortmant of nylon collars because I like pretty colors and patterns.

Umm I'm mixed - nylon for collars for all the pretty colors/designs and leather for leashes because it's so much kinder to my skin.

I too really like Lupine's stuff, so right now I do have one nylon everyday leash and one leather one for the girls. As for collars, Z's currently wearing all leather because it's what I had (she broke her cute, but cheap, nylon collar), but I'll be going back to nylon soon. I like the nylon because it's easier to wash if need be vs. leather which needs oiling and special cleansers.

I didn't repsond to the poll because I have both. I like the look and feel of leather collars, but for dogs who spend a lot of time in stock tanks and the like, the leather takes a beating and eventually gives out somewhere, even if I oil regularly. Lark's beautiful hand-beaded Masai leather collar just lost its D-ring because the leather rotted and she put some pressure on it and boom it broke (the collar is still useable, but without a place to clip a lead).

So despite the fact that I prefer leather (and I still use leather leashes for the most part), most of my dogs now have "ring-in-center" (also known as hunt collars) vinyl-coated nylon collars. They can stand getting wet over and over and are easy to clean should someone roll in something. I even have a couple of hemp collars.

But they all also have nice leather collars. In fact, I pulled out a rolled leather collar that belonged to my first dog and gave that to Lark after she broke her beaded leather collar.

J.

Leashes? What are those?

I love leather collars but they stink and fall apart, as my dog swim in the ocean every day. Leashes - rarely use 'em, but I have collected oodles of them from fosters and they are all nylon. I break them frequently, so don't like to spend on leather.

RDM

Leather leashes for my hands sake is a must. And after they break in, they are so, so soft. I also don't have any dogs that chew them :rolleyes: I think I have 5 brown leather leashes, all 6ft and the 1/2" width - all from Petsmart, one I've had at least 7 years.

Rolled leather collars. All my dogs have a minimum to thick ruff (neck) so the pretty nylon collars are often obscured anyway. Plus the rolled leather doesn't break the hairs like nylon does and for nearly all my dogs, when you take the collar off, you can't tell they ever wore one.

My dogs all pretty much look as if they don't wear collars except at the underneath of their neck where the tag hangs. If I had a short-haired smoothie (like a pit) I'd definitely opt for a decorated nylon or decorated leather. But both my smooths have fairly long hairs.

My dogs wear collars 24/7 and we live in the wet PacNW and have a seasonal pond in the back. My collars never smell and I only wash/rub them down w/ water about 2-5 times a year to remove mud goo. All the collars are either from Petsmart or Petco and have lasted 5 years and counting (depending on dog).

It probably comes down to the activities your dogs do, the kind of fur they have, and your personal preference.

My dogs. Can't see the collar part on River (2nd from right) and you can't see the collar from the top view of any of my dogs.

2697834436_d1efce3308_o.jpg

We also use the Lupine leashes and collars (nylon). They sell them at our vet and the best part about them, is, they are guaranteed for life! Even if they are chewed. So if you have chewers and are actually willing to take the time to send them back, it's well worth it. For us, Skyler and Piper have went through 2 collars and 2 leashes so far.

I really like my Mendota leash, which is polypropylene rope. Stuff's waterproof and colorfast, and easier on my hands than regular flat nylon.

Had a leather leash once .... it got eaten. My dogs also have a penchant for water and mud, so no leather for us (although I do dream of one day getting them each a nice, nice leather collar for walks/house -only-). I've heard of Biothane collars and leashes (synthetic leather mimic), but don't know anyone who's used them. They look like they might be worth checking out though.

Well, I voted leather, but really, I use cotton web for most of my leads. I find I can allow cotten to run through my fingers, and it won't burn me, like when I'm keeping tension on a long lead, but letting Suka run about. I have a very short (3') nylon lead for going to the vet, because I won't be letting that lead run through my fingers like I do with my long leads - It's too short for that.

That said, I do like leather leads more than nylon. Yeah, sure, nylon is less maintenance-intensive, but leather is not all that difficult to keep up, so long as you're consistent about it.

I have to say leather, since I make them... :rolleyes:

But, if I did not, based on the quality I see in the pet stores I would go nylon. Finding good quality leather leashes and collars is as hard as finding good quality horse equipment at a cheap price. We use the same leather and scraps that we use in our saddle shop when making our leashes and collars, but they are more pricey then what you can find at the pet stores. We are very picky about the quality of leather we use, it is not unusual for us to go to the supply house and come home empty handed, we have a great supplier for Old World Harness leather & Latigo out in California and our tooling leathers come from PA, we hand make everything and hand select the leather that goes into them. So many companies that make leather goods strap out the entire hide, you might end up with flanky straps, hard straps they don't care, they running them through and pump them out trying to maximize the hide, we go through and if a strap is not right it get's put into scrap, we can salavage the good parts for other items, some get thrown out as puppy chew toys.

When shopping for leather collars and leashes beware of leather goods produced and tanned in India and Mexico among other foreign countries, unfortunately we also have to look out for goods produced here but that use imported leathers. The tanning process has a lot to do with the quality and durability of the leather, we have had horses get blisters from halters that were made of leather tanned in India when they wore them and got wet. Some of the leather collars on my dogs are over 6 years old, they wear them day and night, get wet all the time, they hold up fine without any maintenance. If leather can't handle getting wet then it usually is not good leather. Also, before you buy any leather items smell them, if they have a foul, acidy or no smell to them stay away, also if they have a texture simular to cardboard. The leather should flex without cracking and be pliable, but not stretchy, stretchy leather often times comes from the flank, many people hide flanky leather by running a stitch line down both sides of it or lining it, if the stitches wear out then the leather will just keep stretching, often times failing over time.

Deb

I didn't vote either because I like nyon collars and leather leashes. I usually get quick clip collars made by Coastal. They come in a wide variety of colors and run $5-$6 each. I am really tempted to get some Lupine collars one of these days.

One of these days I'm going to treat myself to a top quailty leather leash. But for right now I've been using pet store leather leashes and they've worked fine. I oil them and work them back and forth with my hands to soften up a new one - they absorb oil like a sponge! But once they're oiled they feel nice, don't get stiff, and last really well.

Many consider me a bit unusual for my dislike of leather collars and leashes. No practical reason - I just don't like either the look itself or the feeling of it in my hand unless it's thin and extremely supple. I prefer nylon collars and leashes and the softer cotton webbing for long lines and training leads.

I've never felt like nylon is hard on my hands. What are you guys doing with your nylon leashes that they hurt your hands?

I have a mix here, mostly nylon, but Solo has a hemp collar/leash set from Earth Dog because he's special and because it comes (or rather, came) in a sadly discontinued green pattern that goes very well with his red coat. When I found out the pattern was being discontinued I bought spares because Solo is my Best Boy.

Fly is currently using a nylon Lupine set that has sheep on it and is also sadly discontinued, but nylon is much more durable than hemp so I am not worried about it wearing out. Jett gets hand-me-downs and is currently using a nylon Silverfoot set that is blue and black and has Thunderbird patterns on it. I am not a fan of the leash clasp on Silverfoot leashes because it's big and clunky so I probably wouldn't buy another, but I won't need to anyway as this one looks like it'll last forever.

None of my dogs wear collars in the house. Unnecessary and I don't like listening to tags jingle all day.

I like leather for horse tack but not dog tack. Too clunky. My leashes spend most of their time hung around my neck.

ETA: forgot the main reason I don't do leather collars -- no quick release buckles. I like to be able to put them on and remove them easily.

I make (hand stitch even :rolleyes: ) leather collars for my dogs. I found some really pretty Celtic conchos and put them on the collars and they look really nice. Unfortunately I've recently switched to store bought nylon collars ; -( My dogs are in the water so much, be it pool or pond, and their collars pretty much stay wet all the time, and they STINK!!! No amount of saddle soap, oil, I even went so far as to rub some Chanel #5 body lotion into Stellys collar :D Still stinky! SO for everyday use nylon..may pull out the pretty leather ones for trials. I've actually been getting into braiding lately, been thinking about braiding one out of horsehair or some kind of thin natural rope.

ETA: forgot the main reason I don't do leather collars -- no quick release buckles. I like to be able to put them on and remove them easily.
There's no real reason leather collars can't have quick-release buckles. I know they're not common, but poke around a bit, and see if you can't locate some.

Nylon! It's light, dries quickly and I too like the easy snap on/off feature. I used to use Lupine, but switched to Ruffwear -- their collars and leashes are lighter, dry faster and the collars have a separate tiny ring for tags so they don't hit Moll in the face when she runs!

Kinky thread title. :rolleyes:

I like rolled leather collars because they're strong but narrow, so they don't mat up the ruff hair as much and are less likely to cause hotspots, due to the decreased surface contact area compared to a flat collar. I also find them easier to clean. That said, I DO have some nice nylon ones I do like and will still use at times. It's a moderate preference for me, but I will say that if Finn is scheduled for a photo shoot, I leave the flat collar off for at least a week so his ruff looks good. This is partly out of respect for the photographer's time - she makes her living this way, and I want her time with Finn to be productive for her. It's partly out of respect for Finn, as well. He does his job at the photo shoots willingly and with good cheer (as he does nearly everything); the least I can do is make sure he presents at his best. He has no control over how he looks (nor does he care), but I can at least make sure he's clean and unmatted.

Leads... definitely prefer leather. I have one that I totally LOVE, nice bridle leather that feels good in my hand, can be easily saddle-soaped up if it (say) gets dragged through sheep crap, and is soft, strong, flexible and durable. It also has a good-quality, decent-sized snap on it. I have two other leather leashes that are not as good (the leather quality isn't as good and the snaps are too small and lightweight, IMO, for easy use on many collars). Maybe it's my years in the saddle or hanging around barns and grooming racehorses that make me prefer the feel of a leather lead in my hand (I always preferred leather reins and leather shanks in the horse barns); I admit I have a prejudice there. I never liked the rubber reins... I couldn't feel the horse through them. It was like my hands went dead. I didn't realize how much information I was getting that way until I tried the rubber ones. I'd always read that in horse books - how you feel the horse through the reins - but I never really got it how true that was for me until I tried the alternative. I'm not sure if I have that same suliminal feel of the dog through the leather lead, or if it's a simple prejudice because I just prefer the leather in general, but I DO have a marked preference there. I'll use nylon leads, but given a choice, I want my nice black bridle-leather one.

ETA: I used to have a dog that would snap a brand-new plastic quick-release buckle in about 10 minutes, no matter how sturdy it was. From that experience (after throwing away three nylon collars with quick-release buckles in rapid succession) I came to prefer the more traditional buckle type.

Rolled leather collars.

Flat leather collars I do not like. I like how thin the rolled ones are and how easy they are on ruff fur. Especially for my little fluffy-dogs that mat easily, flat collars just don't do it for them. I also like my thin (they are sometimes called the "shoelace") leather leads. I find bulky leashes annoying, so I tried to get the thinnest, lightest ones possible - and those were the leather ones.

Both the collars and the leads are about 2 1/2 years old and still in great shape - especially considering the abuse I put them through. :rolleyes:

Well,

I didn't vote as I prefer rolled leather collars because of the long haired fur. I love my "puppy leashes" if you have a well trained dog. They don't hurt your hands. Nylon really hurts us old folks for dogs that pull. For me, a thin leather lead is a "reward" on .....YES! you are well trained and we don't really need this, but we look pretty. All depends on what dog and what you are doing. I don't want to be dragged down the street by ANY collar.

I prefer leather leather leashes to nylon. I like the way it feels in my hand and I don't care if my dog chews it up. I offer the leash as a tug reward and feel like a leash is easily replaced. I prefer leather collars but my dogs usually wear nylon to train in and their tags are on nylon collars.