BC Boards

Rhea had a siezure!!!!

BC-Liz

To start off, she's fine now. We went to the emergency vet, they gave her some valium, she's really goofy.

Ok, from the beginning. We had JUST gotten back from a long walk, I had literally just put my shoes away when my b/f said Rhea was twitching weird. I went to check it out and she's on her stomach, like she's trying to entice a dog to play, and she's twitching. Immediately I recognize it as a siezure and like a good dog owner, freak out. I have no idea what to do, never been around anything having a siezure before! Luckily the emergency vet is literally 1 mile down the road (it was 8pm, no vets open). Yay for expensive emergency vets.

She comes out of the siezure in the car, pees herself, and is completely confused.

The info we get from the vet is that we don't really know what caused it this time. It could be something completely random, it could be epilepsy, it could have been a toxin she ate, it could be some sort of organ failure, and lastly, a brain tumor....So...we're home with her while she's high as a kite (quite humerous), hopeing to god that it was just a random event.

The vet says to just watch her and if it happens again, to bring her in. Is this common for BC's? What could it be really? What should I expect if it's epilepsy? I'm pretty sure there's people on here that have had a dog that has frequent siezures....your stories would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a couple pictures for sympathy

n11822326_37180590_1877.jpg

and

n11822326_37180591_2114.jpg

Sorry to hear this. Glad she is ok and hopefully it will be a one time, just one of those weird things thing. How old is she? Has she had any shots recently? It could be a variety of things, including those your vet listed for you.

Last year, my Lhasa had what I am convinced is a partial seizure but our vet refers to it as "the little episode." I didn't know what to do for my dog, other than stay by him and keep an eye on him. It wasn't as dramatic as a grand mal seizure. Later, I thought I should have run and got my phone or camera to take a video of the behavior. Fortunately, I haven't seen a repeat but if I ever do, at least I can video it for the vet.

Sorry, should have included that info.

She's 2.5 yrs old. The walk was definitely walk, she only ran for a short time (her and her brother chasing each other) and the temp outside was around 84.

From what I know she's got good lines. She's "working" stock I would say. Her father worked on the farm but her mother was more of a house dog. Her parents have no history of siezures from what we know. We have a family tree of her and her brother's line so I can research if it needed.

She had her yearly shots last week including the usuals and rabies.

Thanks!

Hi Liz, Glad to hear Rhea is feeling better. Just wanted to share a story with you, and perhaps it may help. I was grooming a sheltie last week. Ive known her since she was a pup and she is about 2 yrs old now. She is very use to being groomed, as she comes in every 4 weeks, and has since she was 3 months old, so no stress, nothing new happened, matter of fact, she likes being groomed and is a joy to do because of it, I am telling you this, because I want you to understand, that nothing triggered this episode, much like it sounds like with Rhea. She was standing in the tub, and I was rinsing the soap off her back leg, and all the sudden, she started trembling, and then shot straight up in the air. Luckily I caught her. She then started open mouth screaming at the top of her lungs. I grabbed a towel and wrapped her in it and held onto her tightly, as she was frantically trying to throw herself all over the place. This very sweet dog snapped at me twice while I was trying to hold her till the seizure subsided. She wouldnt ever bite her own fleas any other time. She finally got through the seizure and came back to reality and calmed down, ( the seizure lasted maybe 2 mineuts) and I put her back in her crate to go call her mom. Seems Molly has had these episodes before. They started about 5 months ago according to her owner, (would have been nice if they'd have told me this little fact) but thats neither here nor there right now. After taking Molly to several vets, it turns out that it is/was the heart worm meds they had been giving her. According to her owners even though the vet has changed her heartworm meds 2 times now, she is still having seizures. Not often, they said about one or two every week or so. They are considering taking her off heartworm meds completly, but are afraid to. They are not sure if the seizures are being caused by the meds they are giving her now, or because of the heart worm meds they have given her in the past. I guess they wont really know until they do take her off and enough time has gone by to allow the meds to get out of her system, if they ever totally do. Molly had been on heartworm meds yr round since she was 6 months old, and never had a problem up until now.

Just some thing to look at as a possible cause. Id never heard of a dog having delayed reactions to heartworm meds, so it may have some thing to do with a build up of certin ingredients ??? Dont know, just passing on what they told me. Good luck with Rhea, and I hope for all of you that this was an isolated incident. Seizures can be scary for both people and dogs.

Sorry you had to deal with this - seizures are super scary.

3 yo is a common age to see seizures if epilepsy is present - my parents' dog's seizures started just a few months after her 3rd bday and were nasty cluster grand mal (3 or 4 in 24 hours). We'll never know exactly why, but just about 6 weeks after a food change, Oreo stopped needing one of her meds (phenobarbital) and needed less of the other (potassium bromide). She's been seizure free for the last few years as well - especially amazing for a dog who used to seizure every 6-8 weeks.

There's a lot of things that can cause seizures, but even if epilepsy is the final diagnosis, there are *plenty* of things you can do to address seizures. if it were me, I'd be headed to a holistic vet at the first sign of a repeat as they seem to have the most options at their fingertips and the sooner you catch a seizure disorder, the better.

Hi Liz, Glad to hear Rhea is feeling better. Just wanted to share a story with you, and perhaps it may help. I was grooming a sheltie last week. Ive known her since she was a pup and she is about 2 yrs old now. She is very use to being groomed, as she comes in every 4 weeks, and has since she was 3 months old, so no stress, nothing new happened, matter of fact, she likes being groomed and is a joy to do because of it, I am telling you this, because I want you to understand, that nothing triggered this episode, much like it sounds like with Rhea. She was standing in the tub, and I was rinsing the soap off her back leg, and all the sudden, she started trembling, and then shot straight up in the air. Luckily I caught her. She then started open mouth screaming at the top of her lungs. I grabbed a towel and wrapped her in it and held onto her tightly, as she was frantically trying to throw herself all over the place. This very sweet dog snapped at me twice while I was trying to hold her till the seizure subsided. She wouldnt ever bite her own fleas any other time. She finally got through the seizure and came back to reality and calmed down, ( the seizure lasted maybe 2 mineuts) and I put her back in her crate to go call her mom. Seems Molly has had these episodes before. They started about 5 months ago according to her owner, (would have been nice if they'd have told me this little fact) but thats neither here nor there right now. After taking Molly to several vets, it turns out that it is/was the heart worm meds they had been giving her. According to her owners even though the vet has changed her heartworm meds 2 times now, she is still having seizures. Not often, they said about one or two every week or so. They are considering taking her off heartworm meds completly, but are afraid to. They are not sure if the seizures are being caused by the meds they are giving her now, or because of the heart worm meds they have given her in the past. I guess they wont really know until they do take her off and enough time has gone by to allow the meds to get out of her system, if they ever totally do. Molly had been on heartworm meds yr round since she was 6 months old, and never had a problem up until now.

Just some thing to look at as a possible cause. Id never heard of a dog having delayed reactions to heartworm meds, so it may have some thing to do with a build up of certin ingredients ??? Dont know, just passing on what they told me. Good luck with Rhea, and I hope for all of you that this was an isolated incident. Seizures can be scary for both people and dogs.

You know, I asked the vet about this, because we just started using a new heartworm medication. The Revolution stuff, the heartworm+flea and tick prevention in one. She said it wasn't the cause but now I'm not so sure.

Hello everyone,

Erin wrote, "There's a lot of things that can cause seizures, but even if epilepsy is the final diagnosis, there are *plenty* of things you can do to address seizures. if it were me, I'd be headed to a holistic vet at the first sign of a repeat as they seem to have the most options at their fingertips and the sooner you catch a seizure disorder, the better."

I completely agree with Erin about finding a holistic vet for Rhea, and it is especially helpful if that vet also practices alternative treatments (acupuncture, chiropractic, etc.). There are many aspects of treating canine seizure disorder that aren't usually utilized by traditional vets.

Regards,

nancy

You know, I asked the vet about this, because we just started using a new heartworm medication. The Revolution stuff, the heartworm+flea and tick prevention in one. She said it wasn't the cause but now I'm not so sure.

We love our vet, but sometimes they're mistaken too.When Scooter was a pup, we noticed that every time we used the flea and tick stuff on him, he'd be really hyper (more than usual) for a few hours afterwards. Vet said that probably wasn't it. But, after months of observation, I'm sure that's what it was. The timing was too right. I know the new ProMeris warned of "some depression and lethargy" after use, (we didn't use it) so why couldn't he have been having the opposite effect, like some children? Whenever my sister gave her son Benadryl, he'd be bouncing off the walls, even though it made most little ones sleepy. Watch her, and if it happens again after using the Revolution, I'd find something else. Just my two cents worth. :rolleyes:

It's the revolution!!!!

This is what I've found out. I hope to god that everyone here knows that Collie's have a gene (MDR 1 gene mutation) that makes them predisposed to toxicity with certian drugs, heartdgard being one of them. The drug in heartdgard is Ivermectin, here read some about it http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ivermectin-toxicity/page1.aspx. If you scroll down to the end of the page where it lists other drugs to be wary of with a dog that has a predisposistion to certain drugs you'll find Selamectin. Selamectic = revolution.

It makes so much sense now. This month is their first time on Revolution, we gave it to them on Tuesday of last week. Masi threw up that that Wednesday, Rhea had diarrhea Thursday through Saturday and today Gunnar had diarrhea oh and yesterday Rhea has a seizure.

Rhea has an appointment with our regular vet for tomorrow morning for a blood test. I'll ask my vet about all this then. I hope I'm right.

I Googled Revolution to find out some info about it since I've never used it and am not familiar with it...

This website says side effects of Revolution might be:

What are the possible side effects of Revolution: Side effects of Revolution that may occur include temporary hair loss at the site of application, loss of appetite, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and muscle tremors.

This other website says:

Was proven safe when given at ten times the recommended dose to puppies and kittens, and five times the recommended dose to collies with sensitivity to ivermectin (used in some other heartworm preventatives e.g. Heartgard).

I then did a search for Selamectin, which is Revolution's active ingredient, and learned that it is a synthetic Avermectin (of which Ivermectin is another derivative) but it's unclear how similar they are as far as dogs with MDR1 being sensitive. Also, it hasn't been found that BCs have the MDR1 gene. From looking at the info on Revolution and Heartguard's websites it looks like there is more Selemectin in Revolution than there is Ivermectin in Heartguard. But like I said, not sure how similar they are. I can say that it requires very little Ivermectin to prevent Heartworms and that the dose in Heartguard and like products is lower than the dose required to see side effects in most susceptible dogs. I use liquid Ivermectin labeled for Cattle at a higher dose than what is in Heartguard as an all around wormer (heartworms, hooks, whips, rounds).

Anyway, if you're planning on having your dogs tested for the MDR1 gene let us know the results :rolleyes:

It could be you're seeing reactions because of the gene. It could also be that you're seeing reactions because of all the stuff that was pumped in your dogs all at once- you said they just got yearly shots, rabies, heartworm/flea/tick. That's a lot of stuff.

BC-Liz,

Liz P's questions are important, because epilepsy is not uncommon in Border Collies, and idiopathic epilepsy is almost certainly genetic, and also appears in "good working stock." Liz knows several of the lines that seem to be affected, as do a few other members on this board. If you don't feel comfortable posting the breeding online, I'd suspect Liz would be fine with getting a PM from you (er, right, Liz?). You can also PM me if you like. A pup from the litter I bred started seizing in January (near their 3rd birthday), and since then I have learned about several different families in which it seems to occur, but I'm no "expert" on the subject.

There are several studies going on right now to try to identify the gene or genes which carry epilepsy. I sent bloodwork samples from the affected dog's dam and her littermate to UC Davis, and the owner of the affected pup sent bloodwork as well. Some of my other puppy owners and the relatives I could locate are also sending samples. There's no fee to submit a sample, and UC Davis even pays the FedEx charge. If you tell your vet you are participating in a genetic study, s/he may draw the blood free or of no charge (especially if you've got Rhea in for an exam anyway). There's a little more info about UC Davis research here. Katy Robertson is the contact person for this study. (For other folks reading this, UC Davis also accepts cheekswabs from non-affected relatives of epileptic dogs; just request the free kit.)

Of course most of the above won't apply if Rhea's seizure is determined to have a specific source (toxin, injury, reaction to vax, etc.)

Good luck with Rhea, I hope it was just a weird random thing!

Sorry, should have included that info.

She's 2.5 yrs old. The walk was definitely walk, she only ran for a short time (her and her brother chasing each other) and the temp outside was around 84.

From what I know she's got good lines. She's "working" stock I would say. Her father worked on the farm but her mother was more of a house dog. Her parents have no history of siezures from what we know. We have a family tree of her and her brother's line so I can research if it needed.

Thanks!

Lines on the pedigree don't matter. Liz P is great with pedigrees of epileptic dogs. Also, "what" yearly shots did she have? How many, was it a 5 way? What shots and did she receive the rabies at the same time?

CLW1 is right, an assault on her system could also be the cause. Have you read this;

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Karen

I'm with CLW1. Also, a study of pedigree info will not gain you squat. The dog itself will let you know if it is epileptic. As of now, your dog just had one seizure with cause unknown (and most times, the cause is unknown).

A great source that helped me through the treatment of my epileptic dog or to learn about seizures, their possible causes, and how to deal with them is: www.canine-epilepsy.com

Good luck to you and your dog.

2.5 years old is by far the most common age for dogs with idiopathic (aka genetic) epilepsy to first start having seizures.

If she did not overheat to the point of having heat stroke that is not likely the primary cause.

Some of the best working lines in the world are associated with epilepsy. There are definitely certain dogs within pedigrees who are "known" for passing on epilepsy to their pups. Breeders should never line breed on these dogs.

Epilepsy is almost certainly controlled by many genes, and as with HD every dog probably has at least some of these genes. It is also very possible that a dog can have all the genes and not express the disease (otherwise it would be even more common). It is likely that these are the dogs who become know for passing it on to their offspring.

According to highly respected neurologists who I trust a great deal the rabies vaccine is not likely to be associated with seizures. Certain breeds, and especially certain lines within breeds, are known for epilepsy, which is highly suggestive that the disease is genetic. The fact that your dog recently had her vaccines is probably a red herring.

Toxins can cause seizures. Head trauma can cause them. Heat stroke (bad enough to send the dog to the hospital) can also cause them. Tumors can cause seizures, but your dog is quite young for a brain tumor. If she never has another be grateful. If she does have another one your best bet is to talk to a neurologist. Either way I would let her breeder know. People can't breed away from it if puppy buyers don't keep them informed.

Though I can't help you with BC/epilepsy, our Boston Terrier, Dusty, has epilepsy. He has only had two seizures (since February), is on Phenobarbital and doing really well. After all the blood tests, everything came back normal. In our case, I truly believe it was stress as we moved from CA to AZ and two weeks later, he seized. Anyway, other things to look into are food (we switched to grain free), shots, excitability (there are some theories about the cause/effect of getting excited and seizing).

A couple of sites to check out: http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/ and http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/. The information on these sites helped me immensely after Dusty's horrific first seizure! What a scary thing to go through.

from my vet..........

Clinical Characteristics and Inheritance of Idiopathic Epilepsy

Tufts' Canine and Feline Breeding and Genetics Conference, 2007

Edward (Ned) Patterson, DVM, PhD, DACVIM (SAIM)

University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, St. Paul, MN, USA

Objectives of the Presentation

To give an update on the latest information regarding the clinical signs of Idiopathic Epilepsy in dogs.

To give an update on the latest information regarding the genetics of Idiopathic Epilepsy in dogs.

To give basic information related to trying to control IE in dog breeding until the time in which specific breeds have conclusive genetic tests.

To encourage veterinarians, breeders and owners to submit samples of dogs with Idiopathic Epilepsy and their close relatives to institutions conducting research.

Overview of the Issue

Idiopathic Epilepsy is repeated seizures over time in which an underlying cause is not determined. Typically dogs affected with IE have their first seizure from 6 months to 6 years of age. Most IE is considered to have a genetic basis and is a difficult for breeders to select against because of the late onset of the disease and the lack of identification of carriers. The lifetime incidence of Idiopathic Epilepsy (IE) in dogs is reported to be from 0.5% to 5% depending on the breed (Podell 1995). Often an affected dog has already been bred before the condition is diagnosed. Inherited forms of IE are currently known to exist in many different dog breeds although to date the genetic bases have not yet been determined. For the breeds in which there have been scientific studies of the mode of inheritance, it has been suggested to be either simple recessive or polygenic recessive inheritance. Under both types of inheritance canine epilepsy is a difficult trait to control based on phenotype alone, since it can be also be passed on by carrier animals that are not themselves clinically affected.

Summary

Many inherited diseases in breeds of dogs are caused by a "founder" effect, which is also the basis of many genetic diseases found in isolated human populations. Inherited or idiopathic epilepsy (IE) is a common canine disease causing repeated seizures and is the most common neurological disease of dog and is the one of the top 3 overall health concern for many dog breeds (AKC Survey 2001). IE must be differentiated from secondary epilepsy in which there is an underlying cause such as brain tumor, brain malformation, brain infection, low blood sugar, low blood calcium, or liver failure. A search of idiopathic epilepsy diagnoses from all contributing North American Veterinary Colleges was performed by comparing breed, age, and sex of all first time canine admissions for epilepsy in a specific breed versus all admissions for that specific breed from 1987 to 1997. Overall, the percentage of epilepsy admissions by breed ranged from 0.12% to 2.01% with an all-breed average, including mixed breeds, of 0.82% (Table 1).

Table 1 - Percentage of First Times Admissions by Breed for Canine Idiopathic Epilepsy

Breed

%

All

Border Collie

Schipperke

Saint Bernard

Germ SHP

Keeshond

Irish Setter

Siberian Husky

Pug

English Springer

Dalmatian

American Eskimo

Giant Schnauzer

Shetland Sheep

Golden Retriever

Vizsla

Belgian Sheepdog

Boston Terrier

Poodle - Min

Jack Russell

Belgian Tervuren

Brittany Spaniel

Poodle - Toy

Poodle standard

Norwegian Elkhound

Bernese Mountain

Welsh Terrier

Chesapeake Bay

Std Schnauzer

German Shepherd

Dachshund long

Schnauzer - mini

Alaskan Malamute

Australian Shep

Pomeranian

Pekinese

Scottish Terrier -

Germ Wire HP

Lhasa Apso

Mini Pinscher

Great Pyrenees

Welsh Corgi

Mixed Breed

American Cocker

Blood hound

Labrador Retriever

Weimaraner

Basenji

Rhodesian Ridge

Maltese

Fox Terrier

Boxer

Beagle

Collie

Yorkshire Terrier

Mastiff

Cairn Terrier

Chihuahua

Borzoi

Aust Cattle Dog

Dachshund, mini

Welsh Corgi

Whippet

Engl Cocker Span

Airedale Terrier

Basset Hound

Black/ Tan Coon

English Setter

Shih Tzu

Great Dane

Bulldog

Bedlington Terrier

Border Terrier

Bull Terrier

Fox Terrier Toy

Bichon Frise

Silky Terrier

Samoyed

Flat Coat Retriever

Dachshund

Akita

Shar-pei

Afghan Hound

West Highland Terr

Greyhound

Irish Wolfhound

Doberman Pins

Am Staff Terrier

Rottweiler

Pointer

Old Engl Sheep

Newfoundland

Bouvier Des Fland

Chow Chow

Gordon Setter

Soft Wheaton

Bullmastiff

Peer-reviewed scientific studies indicating a genetic basis for idiopathic epilepsy are available for Beagles (Bielfelt 1971), German Shepherds (Falco 1974), Keeshonds (Hall 1996), Dachshunds (Oliver 1994), Golden Retrievers (Srenk 1994), Labrador Retrievers (Leinweiner 1999), Bernese Mountain Dogs (Kathmann 1999), Vizslas (Patterson 2003), Belgian Tervurens (Oberbauer 2003), and English Springer Spaniels (Patterson 2005). These publications have indicated possible modes of inheritance of IE, but the molecular bases are unknown at this time. A brief summary of the variety of known seizure characteristics and suggested modes of inheritance of canine epilepsy is presented in Table 2.

Table 2.

Breed

Seizure characteristics

Genetic basis

Sex influenced

Reference

Beagle

Partial and generalized

Significant sire effect

Bias towards males

Bielfelt et al., 1971

German Shepherd Dog

Significant sire effect

Bias towards males

Falco, 1974

Keeshonds

Suspected recessive

No bias

Hall and Wallace, 1996

Golden Retriever

Mostly generalized

Polygenic autosomal recessive

Bias towards males

Srenk et al., 1994

Labrador Retriever

Most generalized

No bias

Jaggy et al., 1998

Bernese Mountain Dog

Mostly generalized

Bias towards males

Kathmann et al., 1999

Belgium Tervuren and Sheepdog

Generalized

Locus of large effect

No bias

Oberbauer at el., 2003

Vizsla

Most partial and some generalized

Consistent with autosomal recessive; polygenic possible

No bias

Patterson et al., 2003

English Springer Spaniel

Both generalized and focal onset

Partially penetrant autosomal recessive or polygenic

No bias

Patterson et al., 2005

It is very likely that many more breeds have heritable forms of IE but insufficient data has yet been collected to characterize it. The multiple modes of inheritance identified in the studies to date, as well as the diverse nature of the breeds involved, make it highly likely that there will be many different genetic causes for canine epilepsy. It is possible, though, that related breeds with similar IE phenotypes may have a similar genetic basis.

The only anti-epileptic drugs that are consistently effective in dogs are phenobarbital and bromide (Podell 1996). Euthanasia may be chosen due to frequency or severity of seizures in cases in which these drugs are not effective.

There is some controversy in the veterinary community regarding partial seizures in dogs and the cause of the seizure disorder (idiopathic versus secondary). By definition, a partial seizure originates in a small region of the brain. A generalized (grand-mal type) originates simultaneously in most of the outer parts of the brain. Some authors believe that partial seizures are likely to indicate an underlying structural brain abnormality (Berendt 1999, Knowles 1998), whereas others believe that partial seizures can have a heritable basis with no underlying brain abnormality and therefore be considered IE (Thomas 2000, Podell 1996). A recent study classified 65% of epileptic dogs as having partial onset seizures and 32% as having primary generalized (grand-mal type) seizures (Berendt 1999).

In our analysis of seizures in Vizslas (Patterson 2003) seventy-nine percent of the dogs affected with IE had partial seizures with or without secondary generalization. Partial seizure signs consisted of a combination of leg tremors, staring, dilated pupils, salivation, or some combination of these without loss of consciousness in over 79% of the affected individuals. Thus, there is increasing evidence that partial seizures, in which the seizures start in the age range of 6 months to 6 years of age, are often heritable in dogs and therefore can be classified as IE.

Epilepsy also affects approximately 1% of the human population, and the causative mutations in 22 very rare forms of human IE have been recently reported (Gurnett 2007). However, the most common idiopathic human epilepsies have complex (polygenic) inheritance (Berkovic 1999). Since 15 of the 22 genes currently identified as causative of human IE are ion channels sodium (Na+), potassium (K+), calcium (Ca++), and chloride (Cl-) - (Gurnett 2007), it is suspected that ion channel defects may be involved in the more common polygenic forms of IE in people (Steinlan 1998), and could possibly be involved in canine epilepsy. However, there are hundreds of different potassium, chloride, sodium, and calcium channels, often with multiple sub-units, expressed in the brain(Lehmann-Horn 1999). Given the complex mechanisms regulating excitability in the brain it is likely that hundreds of genes could potentially cause IE.

There are a number of ongoing projects trying to determine the gene or genes that cause IE in various dog breeds at the University of Minnesota, the University of Missouri -Columbia, The University of California - Davis, The University of Toronto, The Animal Health Trust in England, A University in Finland, and at a few other institutions.

Wow that was a lot to catch up on. Thanks everyone for your replies! I'll try and hit on a few key points...

BC-Liz,

Liz P's questions are important, because epilepsy is not uncommon in Border Collies, and idiopathic epilepsy is almost certainly genetic, and also appears in "good working stock." Liz knows several of the lines that seem to be affected, as do a few other members on this board. If you don't feel comfortable posting the breeding online, I'd suspect Liz would be fine with getting a PM from you (er, right, Liz?). You can also PM me if you like. A pup from the litter I bred started seizing in January (near their 3rd birthday), and since then I have learned about several different families in which it seems to occur, but I'm no "expert" on the subject.

There are several studies going on right now to try to identify the gene or genes which carry epilepsy. I sent bloodwork samples from the affected dog's dam and her littermate to UC Davis, and the owner of the affected pup sent bloodwork as well. Some of my other puppy owners and the relatives I could locate are also sending samples. There's no fee to submit a sample, and UC Davis even pays the FedEx charge. If you tell your vet you are participating in a genetic study, s/he may draw the blood free or of no charge (especially if you've got Rhea in for an exam anyway). There's a little more info about UC Davis research here. Katy Robertson is the contact person for this study. (For other folks reading this, UC Davis also accepts cheekswabs from non-affected relatives of epileptic dogs; just request the free kit.)

Of course most of the above won't apply if Rhea's seizure is determined to have a specific source (toxin, injury, reaction to vax, etc.)

Good luck with Rhea, I hope it was just a weird random thing!

I'm not trying to discount the chance that it is epilepsy. I understand that she's the perfect age for it to come out and that it's not unheard of for BC's. I just REALLY don't want it to be so for now. I'm going to just have to wait and see. We're not going to use the revolution anymore (from talking with my vet on Saturday they don't even like it b/c they don't think it protects well enough against heart worm). If the blood worm comes back clean (I'll get it tomorrow) and she has another seizure then I'll start working on how to treat and control them.

Lines on the pedigree don't matter. Liz P is great with pedigrees of epileptic dogs. Also, "what" yearly shots did she have? How many, was it a 5 way? What shots and did she receive the rabies at the same time?

CLW1 is right, an assault on her system could also be the cause. Have you read this;

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Karen

I wasn't saying that she's from such great lines that there's no way she could be have anything. I was just trying to describe the lines she came from. And it's not that I''m uncomfortable to post where her lines are from, I just don't know enough about them to do you any good. I could photo copy her family tree if that'd work but I think it's all for nothing. I'll contact the breeder and tell her about Rhea seizure, maybe it'll turn out she's heard this before.

I'm with CLW1. Also, a study of pedigree info will not gain you squat. The dog itself will let you know if it is epileptic. As of now, your dog just had one seizure with cause unknown (and most times, the cause is unknown).

A great source that helped me through the treatment of my epileptic dog or to learn about seizures, their possible causes, and how to deal with them is: www.canine-epilepsy.com

Good luck to you and your dog.

Thanks for the website! It'll definitely help me since I have Rhea and her brother.

Again, thanks for everyone's replies. Hopefully it's just a random occurance. But if it isn't this info will definitely help.

Got the blood test results back, it was clear of any abnormalities. So now it's a wait and see game. Oh joy.

quick edit: Rhea is doing great. It especially lovey since her siezure (I think it really scared her), but hasn't had another one or slown down a bit.

Got the blood test results back, it was clear of any abnormalities. So now it's a wait and see game. Oh joy.

At least it isn't bad news. But I know what you mean about waiting for answers. I had a run of back luck with my dogs over a period of a few years and was really struck at how long it often took to find out what was going on. A few times, we never did find out what the underlying problem was.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this was one of those one time, weird, never really know what caused it events. Thanks for the update!

• 1 month later...

Well....Rhea had another seizure last night. Well, it may have just been a fit, she didn't release her bowels or bladder when she stopped but it looked everything like the first. We haven't been to the vet yet, but we wrote everything down. It only lasted about a minute and she recovered well. Guess that means it's epilepsy. I had hoped beyond hope it wasn't...Thanks for all the previous information on epileptic dogs, I'll definitely be reading it now.