BC Boards

Just Curious

Is it my imagination, or are others also seeing what seems to be more TV ads where a companion dog is a Border Collie? (It seems to me to have started after the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". How could one not love the BC in that movie?) If so, is there any significance in this, such as an increased public appreciation for the breed? Just wondering...

I've thought perhaps I was just noticing more since adding Kip to our family...I guess I notice a lot of advertising print with BC's----the dog on the sacks of dog food, treats, the label on wire crates showing what size dog fits in it, dogs pictured in ads for other things too, like an image of a family going camping---the dog is a BC...and figured that BC's were a bit easier to work with for the photo shoot... I have not seen movies with BC's, but maybe I just need to get out and watch more films! :rolleyes:

There does seem to be a lot of Border Collies in print and t.v. ads lately. This could be a double edged sword, IMHO. More awareness of the existence of the breed and their talents, but maybe a lot of people thinking how fun it would be to own one of those, (which it is!) without doing some research about the breed and their personality and high energy levels. Too many Border Collies have ended up in Rescue for no other reason than lack of knowledge by the owner.

I agree with bc4ever. It's always a good/bad thing to see them in movies and on tv. But I have noticed that they are in almost every tv ad. The other day when I bought a new toilet seat it had a BC closeing the lid on the front picture. That made me laugh.

I have not seen movies with BC's

In addition to "Babe" and "The Day After Tomorrow", "Snow Dogs" also had a lovable BC, Nana. (For those who saw "The Day After Tomorrow", you will recall that the homeless man's dog, and one of the few survivors in NYC, was a BC.) "Sarah, Tall And Plain" also had a BC, but this one was portrayed in the context of being a working farm dog.

As to bc4ever's comment, I agree entirely. It is in fact on this level that my concern exists. BC's are cute and smart; but portraying them as casual companion dogs does a disservice to the breed, and could result in more harm than good for dogs brought into homes where uneducated owners are not prepared for the demands of the breed.

I've noticed this in the past few years, both in movies and in advertising. There were a bunch of them in Children of Men, one in Everything is Illuminated, and one in Sex and the City too (Steve's dog), and I know I can't think of all the other movies and TV shows I've seen them in. As fun as it is for me to see them in movies, I agree that it probably increases the number of people who want them because they're pretty and smart, but have no idea what's in store for them, and then in turn increases the number of BCs in rescue.

I tend to agree. When "Babe" came out, that's when everyone wanted a BC. I had quite a few by then. It was difficult to tell people they don't talk- LOL. That's when I got into rescue. They were coming in by the dozens. Now with "Pet Stars" or whatever it's called, and U-Tube and every challenge on animal planet, you see more and more border collies. People don't realize how much work it takes to get a dog to this level. That's why we have the buy and return. We just need more responsible breeders and PLACERS out there that actually take their dogs back. I am NOT talking about anyone on this board!!!!!

There was a litter of BC pups (but not specified by the show) on Men in Trees this season. Two of the dogs were adopted by main characters of the show. They were all blonde/whites but definitely BCs.

I always think it's a bad thing cuz everyone then wants one. How many people went out and got chihuahuas because of Taco Bell & Legally Blonde, etc.

Not absolutely certain, but I'm pretty sure I glimpsed a BC on Battlestar Galactica a couple of weeks ago. They're everywhere. And like others have said, it's a mixed blessing. My DH would take it a step further... He's always said, "It's the curse of any breed to become popular." When I first heard him, he was saying it about Treeing Walker coon hounds (our other dogs); but he's been saying about the BCs more and more lately.

It’s amazing how T.V./Movie media can sway the GP towards what seems desirable. I remember after the movie 101 Dalmatians my brother had to run out and buy my niece a Dalmatian. Let’s just say that ended being a costly endeavor for the family, much property damage.

And I am by no means above the sway, the movie Top Gun bought me 4 years in the Navy. Trust me if you’re not Maverick or Goose you are swabbing the deck. LOL lesson learned!

I have come to know that no one, mainly me, will ever be as cool as the Mav or Goose. But the little kids at the park think I am cool when they see me doing agility with Black Jack. He likes to show off at the park. I'll take what I can get.

There is a Tractor Supply commercial that runs in this area that has BC's in it. It actually shows some of them working.

I love that commercial! I like all their commericals, they speak to me... :rolleyes: plus it very accurately portrays the life of a working farm dog :D

I love that commercial! I like all their commericals, they speak to me... :rolleyes: plus it very accurately portrays the life of a working farm dog :D

I like their ads too!

However cheeeeezey Snow Dogs was, I LOVED nana!

I loved Nana for more that the fact that she was a BC; she was also the embodiment of my belief that anyone can be anything he/she wants to be (in Nana's case, a team lead dog), and that one should never have preconceived notions about others (in this case, that a BC couldn't be a sled dog). And her facial expressions were priceless!!!

I have to say, the dogs Minnie and Mouse who played Sammy Davis Jr Jr in "Everything is Illuminated" were outstanding. That movie is one that got hooked in my brain for all it's nuances, and the part the dog played in the story was great. You gotta see it. She was Grandfather's "Seeing Eye Bitch", and Father got her from the "home for forgetful dogs" after the grandmother died and Grandfather was suffering from melancholy and blindness (not really blind). Father said he got her not actually as a seeing eye bitch, but as a remedy for a person who pines for the opposite of loneliness. I love that movie.

Kind of like Gogol Bordello too. Eugene Hutz is something else. Anyway, I have noticed that Kelly of Regis fame sports a BC in an ad for a kitchen appliance when in fact she has a short fuzzy pound puppy in real life. Go figure.

That movie is one that got hooked in my brain for all it's nuances, and the part the dog played in the story was great.

I agree, nuanced is a great word for that movie. I've watched it a few times and really, really like it. I also love that the dog in it isn't a Barbie Collie. She's not even really obviously a BC as the JQ public tends to expect them to look. I actually had a hard time convincing a couple of friends that she (they) were BCs, not just mutts. I love that the dog character was quirky and even slightly crazy in some adorable ways. She reminded me more of my dog than the perfect, smart BCs in some other movies!

I just mainly skimmed this so sorry if someone said this:

We can't forget the border collie in the cracker commercial! Wasn't it ritz crackers (i think) where the BC was jumping up for the make belive cracker frisbee?