BC Boards

mikey has become a man!

That's funny that you should bring this up. Celt was neutered at six months and had never lifted a leg prior to that. In fact, he never lifted his leg until (I'm guessing) he was well over one year old.

He still isn't a leg-lifter and marker (one who pees on anything "above ground") and often squats, although usually one paw comes off the ground just a bit. Sometimes, as he's not "sure" which paw, he will switch paws in mid-job. But he can pick that leg way up in the air when he wants to! His aim isn't too good, though.

Well.... Fergie lifts her leg to pee. She sort of half squats and lifts one rear leg. She always does that for trees, rocks, posts.... And sometimes just on flat grass.

He still isn't a leg-lifter and marker (one who pees on anything "above ground") and often squats, although usually one paw comes off the ground just a bit. Sometimes, as he's not "sure" which paw, he will switch paws in mid-job. But he can pick that leg way up in the air when he wants to! His aim isn't too good, though.
Glad I am not the only one with a male BC that does that!

'Course the time he lifted his leg in the middle of a poop was a bit odd...

Isn't it funny that they all have their little quirks?

Our Megan is a marker, sniffing and marking all over the place (outside only) and doing the strong back-kicks after pooping to spread her "paw-scent". Celt pretty much only pees when he's got to go and doesn't do any scent-marking and spreading when he's done.

Celt was neutered at six months and Megan at about five months, I believe. So, it's not due to any significant age difference, just due to different personalities, I think.

And I've never seen Celt do a leg lift during a poop but he does turn his back to me to go! He has some modesty at least! I find his squatting to pee rather endearing, kind of puppy-like. And at least he's not peeing all over anybody's tires, front porch, pants leg, etc.

Kessie often lifts her leg. And she scratches marks in the ground so you can't miss the place. She always gives me a huge grin when she does that.

It's probably my fault. Because she was so scared and insecure when I got her, it made me really happy when she started proudly marking our usual walks, and now she thinks she's doing the greatest trick ever when she scratches the path up :rolleyes: .

Oh, and congrats

I love it when they kick up their heels after a good poop. Both my dogs do that only when they are genki (happy, crazy, goofy) and it's usually followed by a bit of jive-talking from Marzipan. And a bit of bouncy dog from Buddy.

Now if only humans could learn to celebrate a good poopy like the dogs! hahaha :rolleyes:

Denise

I love these topics that only dog lovers can enjoy!

My Fergus loves to park his poops high - guess he thinks it increases his status. He uses bushes and shrubs - and on one memorable occasion, just before the start at a tracking trial, he parked the poop on a big lump of concrete that was (for some reason) out in the paddock. What made that embarrassing was that the judge had been sitting on that concrete until a couple of moments before Fergus 'claimed' it.

On the serious side, I do like to have my boys lift their legs - it makes it easier to get them to empty out before they go into the ring, or go tracking or whatever.

I was thrilled when my boy lifted his leg the first time...........and stopped peeing on his front feathers!!! I neutered him at 3 and he has just barely started lifting his leg....one of my juvenile neuters was lifting his leg at 6 months but I wasn't as excited as his aim was better.

Maria

Originally posted by BigD:

Now if only humans could learn to celebrate a good poopy like the dogs! hahaha :rolleyes:

If Mr. Tiki reads this then he'll tell ya that they can.

"Oh boy! Honey, c'mere and look at this big ol' turd! It's HUGE!"

He just doesn't understand. I'm so glad I'm not alone there Heidi. :D