BC Boards

too cold or not too cold

Traneman

The beginning of last summer we adopted 2 Border Collies,both are 3 years old and are brother and sister.

We know that last winter they stayed outside and temps dropped into single digits alot and they didnt have alot of protection from the snow and cold.

We have a doghouse for them with heat in it that we keep around 50 degrees.The problem is they both prefer sleeping on the blankets we have next to our sliding glass doors.It is covered there but still not out of the wind.

We are just concerened that when it gets into the teens at night will they be ok.

Is there a way to check to see if they are in fact warm enough.

Thank you for any help.

Is there a reason they're not allowed to sleep inside the house?! I wouldn't let my dog sleep outside when it's below freezing, regardless if he's done it before... If they won't get in the heated doghouse, bring them inside.....

My dogs do spend a portion of the day outside, even in the winter. I have a dog house for them (it's insulated and has warm bedding, although I don't heat it -- they don't like to go in it if it's too warm), along with a heated dog bed that is in a sheltered alcove on the porch. However, I don't leave them out during the day if the temperature is below freezing and I don't leave them out at night at all.

If you are concerned with having them inside, the crate suggestion is a good one. The dogs can sleep inside of their crates in the warm house. Border Collies are social dogs who like to be with their family. Bring them inside.

50 degrees may be uncomfortably warm for the dogs compared the outdoor temp. Try dropping the temp in the dog house to about 40F

Inside is nice, but adult, healthy, Border Collies, can live nice lives outside as well. A number of our working dogs don't like the house at all in the winter- at least not for more than a few minutes. It is simply too hot for them. Then we fret when it's below 30F...and you will find them shunning their warm dog houses to lie in the open and enjoy the "cool" air LOL

Thanks everyone,

The reason they cant come in is that we have another female dog that we have had for 13yrs and her and Pebbles ( the female BC ) just dont get along if we arent watching them constantly.

We turned down the heat in the dog house to 40 so we will see what happens with that.

We tried last night putting them in the kitchen away from the other dog but all they wanted to do was go outside.As soon as we let them out they laid on their blankets by the siding glass door.

Iam thinking about scrapping the dog house and make them a mini version that will fit on the porch.

You are right though they seem to do well with the cold,last night it was 32 and both were out in the snow. What worries us is that we know they can be stubborn and like little children that need to be told what to do.

What I really need to know is what are the signs that they are getting to cold?

We know this isnt long term as our other dog is old and should she pass they will come inside ( probably slap in the middle of our bed) but until then we have to protect them and make sure they are happy.

Thanks everyone for the info

• 1 month later...
Thanks everyone,

The reason they cant come in is that we have another female dog that we have had for 13yrs and her and Pebbles ( the female BC ) just dont get along if we arent watching them constantly.

We turned down the heat in the dog house to 40 so we will see what happens with that.

We tried last night putting them in the kitchen away from the other dog but all they wanted to do was go outside.As soon as we let them out they laid on their blankets by the siding glass door.

Iam thinking about scrapping the dog house and make them a mini version that will fit on the porch.

You are right though they seem to do well with the cold,last night it was 32 and both were out in the snow. What worries us is that we know they can be stubborn and like little children that need to be told what to do.

What I really need to know is what are the signs that they are getting to cold?

We know this isnt long term as our other dog is old and should she pass they will come inside ( probably slap in the middle of our bed) but until then we have to protect them and make sure they are happy.

Thanks everyone for the info

They way I look at is that they are hearding dogs scotland NOT BIG bernese mountain dog or another animal that is big and weighs 80 pounds +. In Scotland the average temps run between -12 to +36 degrees Celsius Yeah it might get cold there, but NOT As cold as the single digits. They are typically running around hearding sheep able to control there body temperature and sleep in barns or a house at night. Now a house you would figure would be at 68 F degrees min. and barn with straw prob 60 min. So to keep your dogs out side I would NOT suggest it.

It sounds like the dog house is too warm. It also sounds like being in the house is too warm for them and that is why they want outside. If they have adequate shelter and don't appear to be shivering uncontrollable, then they are probably fine being outside. There are a lot of dogs, Border Collies included, who stay outside 24/7. My own dogs were outside this morning after I got in minus 4 F temps and were not asking to come in the house. Not even my 10 year one who will be the first one to bark to come in if it's too cold.

Kathy

They're probably on the blankets next to your door because they want to be close to you and inside. BC's, from what I read, love to be near the people they love. So leaving them outside, isn't really an option for a BC. They want to be inside with you! :rolleyes:

I lived in Alaska for two years, and the natives who lived in the village kept their sled dogs (very much like BC-mxes more than huskies or malamutes) out chained to their doghouses on 6-foot chains all the time. FOREVER. The only time they came off was to run the sleds. It was upsetting to me, raised in suburbia, but the dogs didn't seem to mind the cold, and it was really cold there.

My father in Massachusetts had a husky mix who refused to sleep in the house in the winter - she'd sleep out on the screened-in porch, and on the worst nights she'd tuck her nose under her tail. The house was like a stifling sauna to her.

Meanwhile, my spoiled dog likes to sleep on the foot of my bed, up off the cold, hard floor. Rough life! :rolleyes:

Mary

What about a dog house filled with clean straw. That's a good insulator. Where I'm moving to, some of the dogs who are currently crated in the house will be spending more time outside. A dog house which sits a few inches up off the ground, piled with straw is what I'm planning for them. (They won't be tethered. I'll have some dog runs set up). Not that they won't be allowed inside the house, but I'll have an extra 3 hours a day added to my commute time. Crating them for so long isn't an option.

Today it's in the single digits, but even on a day like today, a healthy dog, acclimated to the living outside, should be OK.

I'm not trying to be rude. But Dogs love to be around their humans. Why have a dog if it's not allowed to be around his/her people? What is the use of having dogs that are kept outside all day and night? What purpose does that serve? Again, I'm not trying to be rude. Please forgive my tone of typing.

I agree with the poster that said they stay by the glass door because they want to be near people.

Kelly

• 11 years later...

I'm a new BC owner. My Annie is 15 weeks old. I've had her for seven days. She has taken well to the doggie door and has a front and back yard to run and play in So she gets too do whatever she wants. 

Recently I had the huge shade tree in our backyard removed and it gets SUPER HOT in the summer time back there. She definitely has options but with summer coming up and she still has so much learning to do I'm worried I won't know the signs that she is getting too hot (stubborn puppy and all). The same goes for the winter which get SUPER COLD here.

Any suggestions about reading the signs?

Thanks!

~First Time Puppy Owner Ash

• 1 year later...

Hi there.

I have a border collie puppy he is 7 months old. We put him outside and he also has his kennel but he doesn't like sleeping in it and he always sleeps on the mat outside the door. Outside the temperature is around 12 degrees Celsius. Is it harmful for the puppy. Please help me out. Thank you.