BC Boards

Microchip

I am about to get Nova's papers and everything filled out for her certification and they asked me if I wanted to get a microchip. Could someone explain what that is and if it is a good idea to get one, Thanks to all, have a great day

Hi,

A microchip (usually Home Again or Avid) is a little rice sized chip that can be implanted between her shoulder blades. This chip can be read with a scanner- which most shelters & vets have. The scanner reads the chip number and (depending on the scanner) tells them what kind of chip it is. Then they call the national registry and get your information. It's a permanent i.d tag that can never fall off and your information can be updated as needed. It can also serve as proof of ownership, even more so than registration papers if I remember correctly.

I would highly recommend getting one- but only if you make sure and REGISTER your information with the company. Every week we have found dogs brought in and at least half have chips now but only 1/3 of those have owners who registered the information. I can't believe how stupid that is!

Guest WoobiesMom

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! Get a microchip! And register it. It's so worth the money to have the peace of mind that there's at least one more way that you might have to find your pet if it gets lost. You'll get a tag for their collar and a permanent one sent once you register so even if Joe Schmoe finds your dog, the collar tag has info they can call and the chip # is on the tag. Woobie's was implanted free by the shelter and it only cost $12.50 for life through ACR.

http://www.akccar.org/enroll/index.cfm

Here in Australia there have recently been a few dogs reunited with their original owners after years - and thousands of miles distances - due to them being micro-chipped. They are excellent - but make sure you register and update your information if you ever move.

I think that a microchip is imperative these days, so I would say definitely get one. Lots of dogs are quickly returned to their owners because of a microship, when the collar was removed or somehow lost.

Having said that, I did have a bad experience with Avid one time, when they claimed to have called me and had not even tried to do so. Jes was only a block away, and Avid reportedly told them just to take him to the pound. They never called me. My cell phone records every phone call whether or not a message is left, of course, so I know they did not call. Lots of people have had positive experiences with Avid, however, and that was just one bad incident.

Whatever type of chip you get, just be certain to change your information as soon as you move or change your phone number.

Four out of five of our dogs have microchips. I recommend it. :rolleyes: Just do make sure that the registration is done. Two different vet's offices in my area claim to do the registration for you, but, in reality, the animals were left registered under the vet's name. I found this out when I contacted Avid to make sure that my info was correct. I do not agree with the vet having the registration under them at all, because they are not open 24hrs a day/7 days a week. I got it taken care of, though. If you do have it done by a vet that states they take care of the registration, follow-up on it with the microchip company.

I'll be getting Belle microchipped. My fella and I travel a lot and Belle will be going with us. Sure she'll have her collar and tags, but that microchip is extra insurance.

And just think of the Hurricane Katrina disaster. How many more pets could have been reunited with their owners, had the animals been microchipped?

Of course microchip, followed up by tags and I recommend tattoo's. I got my eyeliner done on Saturday, I'm drop dead gorgeous BTW, and Usher will get his next Sunday. By the same guy that did mine. Some people are too stupid to check for a chip and the collar could get lost. My old dogs were chipped, collared and tattooed and never left my sight, but better safe than sorry.

Hi,

I agree with following up on your vet's registration if they do that. Just FYI ... there is a new AVID chip that we use that comes with pre-paid registration. So our office does your registration, but it is still with AVID. We have owners fill out the form and we mail it in. We did that because it was disheartening how many of our clients bought microchips from us and never registered it. Many, many times we could track the chip to its owner but they had moved and not kept their information up with us. So we changed the responsibility from the owner to our staff and we've had 100% compliance now :rolleyes:.

Just do make sure that the registration is done. Two different vet's offices in my area claim to do the registration for you, but, in reality, the animals were left registered under the vet's name.

I had all three of my dogs microchipped last spring when they went in for their annual vaccines and check up. Afterward I asked if there was anything I needed to do and was told, nope, it's all taken care of.

Based on this post, when I took Minnie in yesterday for her T-4 blood test I specifically asked what happens if my dog is found and scanned. That's when I found out that I have to fill out a registration form for each dog to be sent directly to AVID. SHEESH!!

Thank you Michelle K!!!