BC Boards

Another Newbie Here

Hi all, this is my first post, but I've been lurking here for a while and registered about a month ago. I currently have 2 Shih Tzu (my wonderful fu-fu companion pups), but I am looking for a sport dog partner that I can do "stuff" with! I've already been learning a lot from many of you and thought I'd post a hello now that I have my first resident Border Collie, although he's not really mine; he is my foster dog. I'm hoping to reference some of your expertise to help me "raise him up right" :rolleyes: (or the best I can anyway) so that he will be successful in his forever home when they finally come along.

I've been a big supporter of local rescues for some time, and this is not my first foster dog, but it is my first Border Collie foster. I recently began volunteering for Mid Atlantic Border Collie Rescue so that I can continue to learn more about this awesome breed, especially the working BC :D . The farm where I am volunteering has working Border Collies, Sheep, an agility course, and of course a kennel and play yard for the rescues that are waiting for foster homes.

Anyway, my name is Angie, and Heeeere's Tate! (he's almost 6 mos - isn't he big (30lb) to be so young?!):

DSC_7999.jpg

DSC_8008.jpg

Hey, welcome! How wonderful that you are getting to know border collies by getting involved in rescue! Tate is a big, good-looking galoot, and I bet he is a lot of fun. I wish you great success in your fostering. Ultimately I'm sure that what you learn will be very, very helpful when you are choosing your own forever BC, and you will have the chance to help launch other dogs too. Just fabulous! :rolleyes:

Welcome! Thanks so much for being involved in rescue. Tate is gorgeous!!

(The nosy in me must ask...) If you're looking for a new sport partner, why is Tate "just" a foster? :D

Thanks for the warm welcome...

As far as the reason he's JUST a foster: :rolleyes: Well....

In addition to wanting to help some of these beauties find a loving/working/BC-educated home, I thought it would also be wise for me to test-drive a few of these hard working, high energy dogs to make sure I can offer him/her the lifestyle that a BC needs to be a "good dog for us".

I took my 2 Shih Tzu through two Obedience levels and then I started one of them in agility to help with his insecurity issues, but I was having way more fun than he was :D I also find myself a little envious of some of my "dog people" friends that have monthly "tracking practice for fun" meetups at different places, and then there's my friend that trains her poodles on geese, and the list goes on.

BUT, it is a lifetime commitment to the dog, and my little dogs were here first, so there must be some harmony among all of them when I commit to a 3rd dog - even if they never become buddies. I also want to make sure I can balance the activity level of a BC and still keep up with my commitment to training/walking/cuddling my Tzu Boyz...and of course I also have to make time for DH :D

This was the first workday morning with Tate, and when I took him out for our 5 am walk in the dark, my 2 Shih Tzu waited at the front door and whined the whole time :D I'm sure it will get easier for them with time...

Also: I did a TON of research on this breed (including this board!), and everyone recommends proceeding with caution and making sure you can handle the OCD, intelligence, and energy of a BC. So, I'm checking it out first hand on lots of different BC personalities :D

Looking forward to friendly chat.. .I already have a few questions about my new pupper

Angie, I'm sorry for being so nosy, and honestly, I hope I didn't sound judgemental! Not my intention at all. I totally understand and agree with what you're doing, not just by helping a dog in need, but making sure it's the breed for you. If only everyone were so thoughtful and dedicated! Great job, really.

Bring on the questions! And feel free to post more pics, he really is adorable.

In addition to wanting to help some of these beauties find a loving/working/BC-educated home, I thought it would also be wise for me to test-drive a few of these hard working, high energy dogs to make sure I can offer him/her the lifestyle that a BC needs to be a "good dog for us".

You are so smart!!

Anyway, my name is Angie, and Heeeere's Tate! (he's almost 6 mos - isn't he big (30lb) to be so young?!):

Hi, Angie! Welcome to the boards. Honestly, Nykie was about 28lbs at 6 months old and she's 35lbs now at 9 months, so I would say no. She's drastically slowed on growing. Great job to you on being smart about this. :rolleyes: Too many people see the cute little balls of fluff, but have no idea what they're getting into until they take on a BC and then the poor pup ends up in rescue or the shelter. I'm glad to see someone taking the time to make sure that a BC would be a good match to your lifestyle before taking on the lifetime commitment. :D

I think that's a fantastic way to get acquainted with Border Collies, to see how different they are even amongst themselves, and to see if a Border Collie is for you.

I wish you the best with you new foster!

I think that's a fantastic way to get acquainted with Border Collies, to see how different they are even amongst themselves, and to see if a Border Collie is for you.

I wish you the best with you new foster!

Thank you! I'm crossing my fingers as we are entering the wonderful world of ADOLESCENCE with Tate!

Working at the farm, I am amazed at not only how different they "look" (obviously because they are not bred for looks/size/color - or uhmm...they shouldn't be anyway), but their personalities are incredibly different too!

We have all kinds: social, un-social, affectionate, un-affectionate, some are only dog-social, barkers, submissive pee-ers, food driven, ball driven, some that could care less about sheep, some that could care less about a ball! But I have not found one that doesn't look right into your soul when they look at you. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the warm welcome...

As far as the reason he's JUST a foster: :rolleyes: Well....

Welcome! If only most of the people who bring home a border collie had your good sense...

And thank you for opening your home and heart to a foster dog.

Angie, I believe we talked briefly before, I am also a foster home for MABCR and have Miss Ellie here with me. If you have any questions feel free to email me privately or post here. God knows theres more experience here than you can shake a whole forest of stick at!