BC Boards

Rehabilitating Molly

Six weeks ago we pulled a young smooth coated Border Collie from SpokAnimal, named her Molly, and brought her to Inland Northwest Rescue to be adopted.

Molly1.jpg

Molly was one of the few dogs that we have met that we really wanted to own. She is very soft, very sweet, and very deferential to our dogs and to people. On Thursday, we photographed Chip, a wonderful young male Border Collie at SpokAnimal, but Mary Ann at Inland Northwest Rescue was full. We offered to foster Molly for awhile until she had more room. Mary Ann had told us previously that there was something not right about Molly’s movement in the rear, but her vet hadn’t been able to schedule an x-ray yet. So, we got Molly from Mary Ann and made an appointment with our vet for an examination. He found that her left leg muscle was much smaller than her right, but she compensated so well that it was easy to miss in her gait. The x-ray showed that she had a serious trauma as a puppy, and the left femur head was completely out of the socket. She had successful surgery yesterday and we will be rehabilitating her for a month.

molly2.jpg

We are trying to decide whether to keep her or not. She fits in very well with our other dogs and she’s a very easy keeper – sensitive, obedient and very loving. OTOH, we really don’t need another dog….

Steward Robbins

I think you have to really sit down and weigh out the plus' and minus' to adding another dog to your pack. Do you have the finances and time to deal with an addition? Would another dog put a strain on yourself and significant other? You know, general questions and thoughts in regards to having another dog. No, you never need another dog or anything for that matter. However, you must think about the long and not the short of things. Just a thought.

Guest WoobiesMom

Wow, what a sweetie! The look on her face in the first pic says "Hey! How ya doing? I'm just a happy go lucky girl looking for fun!" The 2nd one says "OMG! WHAT IN THE WORLD JUST HAPPENED TO ME????" Poor girl. Whatever you choose, I hope she finds a forever home and bless you for stepping in and taking care ofher needs now.

Oh, what's another one :rolleyes: You said it yourself...

She fits in very well with our other dogs and she’s a very easy keeper – sensitive, obedient and very loving.
Of course, it's easy for me to say since I only have 4 :D

Don't need another one :D Sure you don't. Just look at that face. She already claimed you as her people :rolleyes:

I know that I'm coming into this discussion a little late, but I wanted to add my two cents anyway. We recently adopted out a foster dog that we had grown very attached to. We regretted the decision almost immediately, but it would not have been right to ask for the dog back. He went to a wonderful home, so that wasn't the issue. But, we were, and still are, completely heartbroken. If we could do it again, we'd keep him. And, he wasn't even a bc! :rolleyes: He was just a silly little mutt with the heart of a lion.

So, just something for you to think about. If you are that attached to this dog, you need to give some serious thought as to whether or not you will be OK with giving him up. Personally, I think this is one of the best ways of finding a dog - letting them find you instead.

• 3 months later...